Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich Rush album first grabbed you and why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 23:44
It's hard to say which album was really the one that brought me in just because of the slow buildup to it. I'd have to say it was probably Exit...Stage Left. I've always loved live albums, and I had originally bought it because it had many of their hits on it. But then I hit the longer songs, Xanadu, Jacob's Ladder, and La Villa Strangiato, and was absolutely blown away. From then on I was hooked and had to go back and re-listen to the two previous albums I had, Moving Pictures and 2112. Pretty much solidified Rush being my favorite band. 
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 03:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

I first bought their greatest hits, sue me. It clicked so I went after all five classic albums at once. I'd say Permanent Waves was the one I listened to the most at first. It's well balanced, still sounds like the classic period even with the synth, has one of the most underrated tracks ever in Natural Science, and the radio hit Spirit of Radio. Just a good album all around.
No need for litigation. A lot of music that I was turned on to came from best of compilations. Cheers!

Drat! I had my whole counter suing argument ready and everything. Yeahm sometimes the song choices are made poorly, but compilations are a good way to get into a band you don't know much about.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 03:07
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I first bought their greatest hits, sue me. It clicked so I went after all five classic albums at once. I'd say Permanent Waves was the one I listened to the most at first. It's well balanced, still sounds like the classic period even with the synth, has one of the most underrated tracks ever in Natural Science, and the radio hit Spirit of Radio. Just a good album all around.

Permanent Waves is a favorite of mine (I even have a t-shirt with the album cover). Yes, Natural Science is an awesome song. I love all the moods it goes through. The Spirt of Radio is a darn good, too. The whole album is quite satisfying. 

I've got that same shirt too, had it for years, finally getting worn out Ouch Different Strings is great for what it is too. And Freewill, witty lyrics, and that riff in Jacobs Ladder, what an album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 03:11
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

i won't judge at all because i didn't get fully into Yes (my favorite band ever) until i bought The Ultimate Yes compilation, and besides, i don't have a problem with retrospective compilations despite some of its song choices (greatest hits or not). before that, there was another compilation (DOUBLE GASP!!!) with Highlights that my father owned (2 copies of that CD for some reason), and as well as radio and Rock Band videos on Youtube. the same was with in this case Rush when Moving Pictures in its entirety was made available on that game (again, on video). however, i didn't develop into it all for awhile until i got it on CD with the "5 Classic Albums" box set i got from Walmart over a year ago. thus i love it now, btw.

Sometimes it takes awhile for certain albums to cement in your head. I've seen that 5 classic albums set, I wanna say it also has Signals, 2112, Fly By Night and Hold Your Fire right? Pretty good synopsis of their sound in those albums, maybe FTK would've been better than Fly By Night though. Yes is strictly an album band for me, the songs from fragile stack up so so nicely together it would be a shame to make them stand on their own. I remember I picked up "the highlights of Yes" and it didn't really do it, but once I broke down and bought Close To the Edge and Fragile it was a done deal. Usually retrospectives work, but that Highlights album had some poor song choices. 
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:19
2112. It got me into prog after it played on satellite radio when I was in an 'all moozik sux' funk in highschool.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 10:36

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Permanent Waves is a favorite of mine (I even have a t-shirt with the album cover). Yes, Natural Science is an awesome song. I love all the moods it goes through. The Spirt of Radio is a darn good, too. The whole album is quite satisfying. 

I've got that same shirt too, had it for years, finally getting worn out Ouch Different Strings is great for what it is too. And Freewill, witty lyrics, and that riff in Jacobs Ladder, what an album.

I'm thinking of getting a Power Windows shirt since this is my second favorite Rush album (my first being Grace Under Pressure). My top three Rush albums are: Grace, Power, and Signals. What about you?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:50
HYF
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:12
2112 was the first Rush album I heard. The only song by them I knew back then was "The Spirit Of Radio" on a compilation, so I'd never really knew who they were or what prog rock was. Therefore, the album massively took me by surprise when it was opened with a 20-minute epic of mystical tales, the closest I'd only heard on Led Zep's folkier albums. The fact that it had a theme, overture, and wasn't at all condensed really grabbed me because it felt so brilliantly pretentious. Love all of their albums though, but 2112 is what got me into progressive rock Big smile
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 05:01
Hav heard a few rush songs and enjoyed...but up until now i havent been into rush discography or even a single album as a whole..
So..can't answer it nw..bt surely in near future.
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 05:18
Hemispheres! While really enjoying 2112 and A Farewell to Kings, this was their first album where I love every note. 
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 09:26
Permanent Waves. 
I'd heard Rush songs on the radio (including the Permanent Waves hits), but wasn't really a fan yet.  Rush were one of the first prog bands that I started buying albums from, along with Pink Floyd, and I was just blown away by the musicianship.  I REALLY liked Geddy Lee's voice on that record (and still do) and how the band could be so hard hitting and rocking, but also have a lot of complexity and be catchy at the same time.  I didn't equate the Floyd with progressive rock at the time, I thought they were simply psychedelic, so I credit Rush with getting my foot in the progressive rock door, as it wasn't until a couple years later that I discovered Yes and really got into prog.  I equated Floyd more with psychedelic rock than anything, and didn't understand the connection at the time.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 11:58
A Farewell To Kings.
Why? simple, it was the first album I ever heard from them, if it was any other of their albums it would have achieved the same effect. It was love at first sight, and only the tip of the iceberg of what was to be discovered.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 20:00
A Farewell to Kings because it's both righteous and boss, man.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 13:42
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

2112 a mate played it and I thought it was great from the off!

Same here, then went backward and followed them until Presto, which more or less caused me to stop.
ian_wil View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 02:36
2112 came out when I was 15 and was just so different to everything else I was listening to at the time, I bought it coz there was a track that lasted for an entire side of an LP! (within a week I had bought the first 3 albums as well).
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 08:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Exit..stage left.

I'd not heard rock music played like that before. I couldn't believe that three guys could make that sound. It was thanks to ESL I really became a prog fan.

I remember seeing that tour in Los Angeles at the LA Forum. The production was crazy good and the sound I thought was stellar. I would love to see that tour again.....
Like what IM did with Powerslave Tour..those were the days

I would love to have seen that tour.

I've seen Rush four times now on much later tours. I got the impression that the sound was better back in the MP days. Would you agree with that? I'm assuming you've seen the band on subsequent tours..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 12:13
I've actually only collected the two Cygnus albums.  Just because.  I have a VHS concert - Grace Under Pressure, but the tape deteriorated. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Wheelspawn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 19:29
2112 and then Permanent Waves.

Does anyone else agree that the song Freewill has Peart's best lyrics? I find the outro verse particularly impressive.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 01:48
Originally posted by Wheelspawn Wheelspawn wrote:

Does anyone else agree that the song Freewill has Peart's best lyrics? I find the outro verse particularly impressive.

tough question

I would probably go for Tom Sawyer but so many possibles
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 03:29
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Wheelspawn Wheelspawn wrote:

tough question
I would probably go for Tom Sawyer but so many possibles

I woud say I prefer the lyrics in Freewill, but prefer the music in Tom Sawyer.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>