Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis just hit me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 23:03
When I was a teen Genesis were one of the bands to get me excited about prog. My big three were probably YES, GENESIS and King Crimson. These were the bands I was most excited about at that time. To a lesser extent I liked the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, RUSH, ELP and Jethro Tull. By the time I was into prog I had almost completely forgotten about Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles and didn't consider them prog at all. As for Genesis I first got into their popular stuff then worked my way back and was of course more impressed with the older stuff as I didn't consider much of the later stuff to be prog.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 23:09
Nice to hear about your experience with SEBTP.  I can sort of relate to it and in a way I can't too.  SEBTP, specifically Firth of the fifth, was what got me into prog bigtime so I never had to stint on them, waiting for them to 'click'.  But the experience as such was as exciting as how you described it.  Maybe a little more, because I didn't know what to expect more and was totally blown away.  I don't even like Firth, barring the guitar solo, as much as I used to at that time.  Although it's a great album, it's not my favourite Genesis album anymore.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 03:01
Nice band but a little overrated
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 09:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Complete BS IMHO. How are they overrated? I think they deserve all the accolades that can be given to them.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:40
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

..... THE No 1 Symphonic Prog Release of all time - though plenty of people units on this site ARE GOING TO ARGUE THE TOSS.....

My toss is bigger than your tossEvil Smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 16:48

qft
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 18:02
^ False!

Their pop period? Sure! Their prog period? Well, in prog circles they get the appreciation they deserve, but from the outside-of-prog press and media, and the general public, surely not?

Edited by The Bearded Bard - July 19 2014 at 18:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

qft

Another BS post. Again, I'll ask: how are Genesis overrated? Tell me how this band has saturated the market and everyone and their brother is going out and buying their albums. Tell me how. If you can't, then just put a sock in it.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 19 2014 at 20:35
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:40
I'm not sure how having everyone going out to buy their albums at the moment relates to how overrated a band is in prog circles. Though i'm sure during their pop period the situation you described happened to an extent.

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if youre going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

Edited by Horizons - July 19 2014 at 21:02
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:46
Never heard of this Genesis that everyone here is talking about Tongue
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I'm not sure how having everyone going out to buy their albums at the moment relates to how overrated a band is in prog circles. Though i'm sure during their pop period the situation you described happened to an extent.

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if your going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

I understand, but, at the same time, all I did was ask a simple question and I still haven't received a reply yet, which isn't surprising. Smile
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 21:03
Well i responded to your second part Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 23:52
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Don't get so defensive when someone makes a remark that disagrees with your opinion in the smallest way. He didn't even come off in a troll way or in a barbed manner. It's okay to care about a band deeply or even defend against a statement (disagreeing thoughts does happen!), but if your going to erupt into flames the second it happens, i suggest you not read threads discussing that particular band. 

I understand, but, at the same time, all I did was ask a simple question and I still haven't received a reply yet, which isn't surprising. Smile

Indeed it shouldn't surprise you because if you jump to call something BS without waiting for the other side to attempt to clarify, nobody should indeed bother responding.  You think it's BS,big deal!  Genesis is not your personal possession, you know.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:02

Complete BS IMHO. How are they overrated? I think they deserve all the accolades that can be given to them.

Chill out!

No band is untouchable. However I was going for a tad ironic comment. People shouldn't get upset over opinions. Genesis make very listenable music and occasionally hit some massive heights but not everything they did was brilliant. I'm not just talking about the pop years but even during their most vaunted period I feel they lacked consistency and I struggle to share the same unquestioning love for SEBTP and LLDOB that presumably you and others have. ATOTT is perhaps the one exception for me. That is a beautiful album but then just about every band has at least one beautiful album in them.Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Indeed it shouldn't surprise you because if you jump to call something BS without waiting for the other side to attempt to clarify, nobody should indeed bother responding.  You think it's BS,big deal!  Genesis is not your personal possession, you know.

Yep agreed.I would also add that I generally look at the forum once a day so I'm not going to respond immediately to every question thrown at me.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 02:18
Selling England By The Pound-Greatest symphonic prog album of alltime..
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 15:57

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

qft

Another BS post. Again, I'll ask: how are Genesis overrated? Tell me how this band has saturated the market and everyone and their brother is going out and buying their albums. Tell me how. If you can't, then just put a sock in it.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 16:27
I would think using the word overrated for a band most people here love is a bit trollish. It's been discussed before, though I think I've not seen the argument for a while now. If he had said he didn't like Genesis as much as most people here, surely he wouldn't have received such harch responses. However, sayin they are overrated implies that everyone who love the band are wrong, which is a very pretentious thing to do.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 17:24
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

When I was a teen Genesis were one of the bands to get me excited about prog. My big three were probably YES, GENESIS and King Crimson. These were the bands I was most excited about at that time. To a lesser extent I liked the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, RUSH, ELP and Jethro Tull. By the time I was into prog I had almost completely forgotten about Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles and didn't consider them prog at all. As for Genesis I first got into their popular stuff then worked my way back and was of course more impressed with the older stuff as I didn't consider much of the later stuff to be prog.

I was a big radio listener when And Then There Were Three and the hit Follow You Follow Me came out and I still have a soft spot for that.  My brother had a combo album that was Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot that that the label - The Best Of Genesis.  That one more than anything turned me into a huge prog rock fan.  I was already a big fan of and had Wakeman's Journey and King Arthur.  I was already a Beatles fan and that didn't change.  Didn't really get into Led until about 10 years ago.  I remember The Who for the instrumental Tommy theme but am still not a particular fan.  Can definitely leave and not take the Rolling Stones.  If I wind up with one of their albums in my collection it will be Their Satanic Majesties Request...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 17:43
One of my daughters got me a Genesis t-shirt for my birthday which was a pleasant surprise. She's 20 and mostly into screaming music.LOL But, the other day she asked if she could borrow a Rush cdShocked. I lent her Moving Pictures. I knew she'd come around eventually like my oldest daughter who is into Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Oceansize, Radiohead, Tool and so on, so yeah mostly modern Prog bands not the classics.
Oh, and last night my son's friend told me "Nice t-shirt Johnny!" as they were all walking out the door. I'm curious to see if he really is into Genesis the next time I talk to him.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>