Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre keyboards in Prog music 'played out'?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are keyboards in Prog music 'played out'?
    Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:02
With the trend of fans embracing new less keyboard centric groups like TOOL, Koonival, Cult Of Luna, Mastodon and new up and comers like Agent and Sisare as well as a post interested in guitar centric groups, do you feel that the use of keyboards in prog music is 'played out' or just failing to offer anything new? If so, why? If not, again, why?

Edited by SteveG - July 18 2014 at 14:56
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:12
Definitely not. Of course, I'm not a fan of any of the bands that you mentioned there (the last 2 I have never even heard of). I think the music usually loses something when you remove an instrument from the four main instruments. I think usually it is far less dynamic without both guitar and keyboards intermingling. For me, most guitar-centric music without keyboards sounds fairly bland to me (there are a couple of exceptions: Rush and Wishbone Ash). For some reason I'm much more tolerant of keyboard centric music without guitar (ELP, Egg, Rare Bird, etc.) But most bands I enjoy have a healthy mix of both and I don't really see that changing.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:15
I think that bands that are continuing to use keyboards in a semi-innovative (rather than nostalgic) way are still out there, but they're just not making prog music.  So to answer the question, has the use of keyboards in prog "played out"?  I do think that any innovation (if there still is any) in prog is probably not doing it as much from a keyboard angle any more, but I for one hope to see a day when prog groups do new and interesting things with keyboards once again.  So I'm not ruling it out.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 14:38
It's a good observation.  You just don't hear a lot of really innovative keyboard work in modern
prog, that I'm aware of.  Techno, Dubstep, etc. is huge today, and many of those people
consider themselves innovative.  I'm not sure why there aren't more keyboard centered bands around 
today.  Maybe because they falsely buy into too much of the hype around the old keyboard focused
bands.  That music surely isn't everytthing to music, in fact, focusing on it too much really
kills a lot of new music, esp. new keyboard music.  Just like how many people are unable to
form long term relationships today, perhaps many keyboardists are unable to create more classically
focused "rock" music today.  There are a lot of good sountrack artists who focus on keyboards.
Digging them out and appreciating them would be a great act of love for art.

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 15:03
I think that IQ have done some interesting thing with keyboards in their latest, bringing some techno sound to their usual sound. I am for one very sensible to keyboards sounds, especially vintage, but i also like some modern keyboards sounds in prog music, for the atmosphere added to the music. I don't think its a necessary component to the music, but when used properly with strong songwriting it gives a nice texture to the music. I also enjoyed keyboards dominated music, like ELP, Ars Nova and Glass Hammer, but there's nothing better than a nice interplay between guitars and keys, a bit in the Flower Kings style. I would love to see Rush bring back the keys, so to answer the question, i would say no.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 15:17
I'm not an expert in latest-generation Prog but sadly you might be right. Of course retro-prog bands still make good use of vintage-sounding keyboards, and guys like Rudess have kept the keyboard as a front instrument, but there seems to be a wave of bands who are shifting to a more guitar-oriented format (or electronic, which I do not really consider as "keyboard music").
I hope I'm wrong but it's tempting to think that disciplined piano and keyboard learning is not in the agenda of many young lads, learning to play guitar, bass or drums is (IMHO) easier and "cooler". Many guys seem interested in becoming new guitar virtuosos (see Tosin Abasi and the likes) but few young people seem interested in becoming the new Emersons or Wakemans.
Again it's just an impression with little objective backup.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 15:59
At least in the kinds of  recent  "prog" albums I listen to, I find piano to be used quite a bit (but I find other types of keyboards used as well).  Though I love electronic music, quite a bit of what I listen to in the modern "prog" universe is chamber prog oriented and so the keyboards are more likely to be of the acoustic variety.

I don't listen to much music of the metal or heavy/ hard rock variety, nor do I tend to listen to the more symph-sounding and melodic rock/ AOR oriented Prog bands, so I'm out of touch with popular "so-called prog" scenes.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:00
Yes. 

I got sick of hearing keyboards in prog music very quickly. I can like them in music generally, just prog music decides to make them a second guitar and just apply w**ky sounds. This is prolly why i immedietly dislike so much Neo/Symph music. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:37
It's not that keyboards itself are played out  -- it's that if the genre itself becomes too referential   (ie -- sounding too much like Genesis circa 1974, as great as that is) then it sounds "played out."  I'm a guitarist...and I  constantly have to explore new sounds, harmonies, techniques to avoid sounding too referential  in rock music.  So, I'm sure a good keyboardist does the same thing.  I mean there are an infinite number of things Keith Emerson could do with a keyboard in the 70s....I'm sure if you get a top-notch keyboardist in some of these bands, he or she will figure out how to use the instrument(s) in interesting ways. 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 17:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

With the trend of fans embracing new less keyboard centric groups like TOOL, Koonival, Cult Of Luna, Mastodon and new up and comers like Agent and Sisare as well as a post interested in guitar centric groups, do you feel that the use of keyboards in prog music is 'played out' or just failing to offer anything new? If so, why? If not, again, why?

Have you ever listened to Cult of Luna? I suggest you go onto youtube and listen to the song Dim and then try and tell me they don't make use of keyboards. It doesnt take much to find bands that started out in the last  10-15 years that still make extensive use of keyboards.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 18:03
No.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 18:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tool is not a new band. They've been in existence for more than 20 years, and their early EP Opiate and first proper album Undertow are not prog. I remember when they arrived on the scene and I liked them almost immediately, but they never struck me as prog. Then Ænima changed that.

There are plenty of prog/proggy/psych/fringe bands that employ keyboards/synths, like Black Mountain (who got a mention from Jason Newsted on That Metal Show), Lazer Crystal, Earthling Society--and the guys in my avatar, who play concerts with just a keyboards-drums setup. Trans Am and Maserati have both added a bit more synth/electronics to their sound on their last couple albums.

None of the keyboardists/synthesists in these bands play like Wakeman/Emerson/Moraz/Downes/Powell, etc. We'll see those again, though.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 19:01
No. Prog keyboards are as good now as they ever were. Listen to The Road of Bones for proof.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 00:24
Could it be that, in a more general sense (not specifically prog), it's because of the history of the last 30 years of popular music? Mention synths to most people, especially younger people, they'll immediately make a joke about how terrible 80s music is. They'll mostly have a similarly bad reaction to organs. Grunge in the 90s was the perception of raw guitar music winning out over polished keyboard/synth music, and that's more or less still the dominant mindset, even if it's not grunge anymore. Of course young people aren't trying to be the next Emerson or Wakeman, to most of them, if they saw them or heard their music they'd think it was hilarious, a bad joke. 

Obviously this is a generalisation, and keyboards are still around plenty, but you get the point.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 00:32
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

No.

Gotta agree with this.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 02:44
Not if the latest album from Deluge Grander - Heliotians is anything to go by. Also Dan Britton's other project Birds and Buildings are doing some interesting stuff that uses keyboards.

Fred Schendel is still going strong in Glass Hammer and a new band Synaesthesia put out a much admired debut album which has loads of keyboards. Rob Reed will also be putting an album shortly which will no doubt have a strong keyboard sound although he is going to use a variety of instruments a la Mike Oldfield.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 03:19
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rob Reed will also be putting an album shortly which will no doubt have a strong keyboard sound although he is going to use a variety of instruments a la Mike Oldfield.

An instrumental album?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 04:07
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Could it be that, in a more general sense (not specifically prog), it's because of the history of the last 30 years of popular music? Mention synths to most people, especially younger people, they'll immediately make a joke about how terrible 80s music is. They'll mostly have a similarly bad reaction to organs. Grunge in the 90s was the perception of raw guitar music winning out over polished keyboard/synth music, and that's more or less still the dominant mindset, even if it's not grunge anymore. Of course young people aren't trying to be the next Emerson or Wakeman, to most of them, if they saw them or heard their music they'd think it was hilarious, a bad joke. 

Obviously this is a generalisation, and keyboards are still around plenty, but you get the point.
Yeah, many young people see that Coldplay guy and think that he can play the piano really good Smile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 07:16
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Definitely not. Of course, I'm not a fan of any of the bands that you mentioned there (the last 2 I have never even heard of). I think the music usually loses something when you remove an instrument from the four main instruments. I think usually it is far less dynamic without both guitar and keyboards intermingling. For me, most guitar-centric music without keyboards sounds fairly bland to me (there are a couple of exceptions: Rush and Wishbone Ash). For some reason I'm much more tolerant of keyboard centric music without guitar (ELP, Egg, Rare Bird, etc.) But most bands I enjoy have a healthy mix of both and I don't really see that changing.

He obviously hasn't been listening to Splunge or Strenturgent... Wink
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 08:22
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Your wrong here, most young people listen to pop music like Lady Gaga which is heavily influenced by 80's pop music and as such is heavily synth based. Of course, all these people would want to be the singer and not the person that actually makes the music.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>