Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJacob's Ladder (UK) for Prog Folk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacob's Ladder (UK) for Prog Folk
    Posted: July 18 2014 at 16:42
JACOB'S LADDER were a contemporary folk/roots band based in Canterbury, Kent between 1994-1999. Their music drew on traditions from around the world and forged this into something uniquely original and evocative. Magical songs of passion balance with instrumentals to create a classic sound that whirls us to Brittany, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe and beyond. 

personnel:

Ramona Egle (violin, mandolin, whistles, harp, vocals)
Zinta Egle (guitar, vocals)
Andy Renshaw (bodhrán, talking drum, percussion)
Simon Marchant (fretless bass, electric Guitar)
Hugh Wisdom (flutes, marimba)

Tracks 1-11 recorded Summer 1998 at Delta Studios, Chartham. Engineered by Julian Whitfield and Simon Marchant.

Tracks 12-14 recorded 4th February 1999, live at The Victoria, Ashford (previously unreleased).

released 31 August 1998, Woodsman Music England, UK. A small independent web-label based in Kent, UK, dedicated to unearthing some of the lost treasures of the region's rich musical history.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 05:54
This is quite nice, I can't see them listed on the Kent Band Archive though.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 06:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Why?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 06:41
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Why?

Because they're not in the alphabetical list on the main page and a search of "Jacob" doesn't find anything.

Just found them on the old website at http://www.freewebs.com/kentbandarchive/ - I guess they haven't been transferred to the new site yet.

Edited by chopper - July 19 2014 at 06:44
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 06:51

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Why?

Because they're not in the alphabetical list on the main page and a search of "Jacob" doesn't find anything.

Just found them on the old website at http://www.freewebs.com/kentbandarchive/ - I guess they haven't been transferred to the new site yet.

Sorry chopper, I mistakenly understood the meaning of your post.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2016 at 22:14
will there be someone to take care about this Svetonio's suggestion from 2014? looks to me like it was overlooked.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 00:47
Ah, how I miss dear old Svetonio. Cry The place just ain't the same without him. Unhappy I guess they locked the poor buggar up in one of the dungeons down below - not that far along the corridor from the collab zone - and just feed him bread and water twice a day to keep him alive. Sick Of course, the collab zone has state of the art soundproofing on the walls to ensure optimum acoustic qualities for evaluation listenings, so no one can actually hear him screaming out "Jacob's Ladder for Prog Folk" at the top of his voice 24/7, as the effects of long-term isolation take their effect on his sanity.

But I digress...

Yeah, this album is far enough removed from the typical "hey-nonny-no" traditional folk fayre for me to be able to view it as Prog Folk from a purely personal point of view...but that doesn't mean the team will! LOL

As Alan said previously, this is nice stuff  - I'm surprised I couldn't find any reviews of it anywhere on the web (& not even a rating, never mind a review, on RYM). There is a dedicated website at http://www.jacobsladder.co.uk/ which talks about their "...acclaimed debut album ‘KITE’...", but I guess that in 1998 there wasn't the widespread use of the Internet that we have today, so perhaps all the reviews that exist for the album are still in paper format? Ermm The album is a free download on bandcamp, no "name a price", or "give us yer email address", or anything at all required - just click "Free Download", and Bob's yer Uncle! - Even more of a mystery, therefore, why it's still apparently so little-known.

The old Kent Band Archive site (they still aren't on the new one) says this about the various members:

Ramona, Zinta and Andy also played in the more traditional Folk band CAMINE (www.camine.co.uk).
Ramona also played in Folk duo LONGSTONE with former FIDDLER'S DRAM member Chris Taylor.
Simon had previously played in 1980s Psychedelic Post-Punk act NORMIL HAWAIIANS.
Andy had previously played in the Art-Folk act JUMP THE PIG.

Andy later formed RELIG ORAN (www.religoran.co.uk).

Both Andy and Hugh had previously had hair...

An updated version of the Camine website is available via Ramona Egle's personal website: http://www.ramonamusic.co.uk/ (click the 'Acts' tab). It's really strange, however, that as far as I can see, she doesn't mention Jacob's Ladder anywhere on her site. Ermm

It would indeed be nice to get this little gem up on PA, but as always, that's not my call. Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply