Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConcept instrumental albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:39
*sigh*
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 05:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

(ps: Svetonio - can you PLEASE easy-up on posting random album covers and tell us why you are selecting these albums - we can all list themed and conceptual instrumental albums)
First of all, my choice of the covers is not random, and you know it. But I'll tell you briefly what I mean by that is an instrumental concept album; it is album that has a very clear musical direction (following an idea and/or atmosphere).
I hope you're satisfied?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:03
Every James Last Orchestra album has a clear musical direction that follows a thematic idea but they ain't instrumental concept albums pilgrim. No wait, please don't propose James Last for.....Shocked
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:04
^^ I, too, would like to see a bit more explanation on those covers - i.e. what is the concept all about?

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

^ I don't share your conviction but don't doubt your sincerity as spokesman for Prog fans for a second. LOL

Maybe if I would rephrase to "we don't (necessarily) and it can", this would reflect reality a bit better Wink.

I agree with Iain, and I also agree with Athanasios that some of these are stated by the composer/artist but those that are not are open to interpretation due to the imagery they conjure in the listener. The Planet Suite does not invoke imagery of the celestial bodies themselves but of the mythical beings they are named after since that is stated in the track (sub)titles (bringer of Joy, bringer of War etc). 

From my own inept experience of creating instrumental music there is no easy way of telling whether each CD of music was constructed to a theme or whether the titles preceded the musical composition unless I explicitly state the case one way or another. Even when I've composed an album with a lyrical narrative, the music alone without the sung vocal doesn't tell a story as such.

Good points, it is not easy to say with the "open to interpretation" ones but would be interesting to hear  read how some are creating different "pictures" to different people.

On the "stated" ones, Bo Hannson's LOTR came to mind - and despite the fact that the pieces of music don't necessarily flow smoothly from one to the other, there is a variation of moods depending on the theme of each piece (see from relaxed to adventurous etc.), which attempts to portray the themes. Maybe not one of my favourite albums but surely a good example.

Edited by aapatsos - July 20 2014 at 06:06
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:17
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

^^ I, too, would like to see a bit more explanation on those covers - i.e. what is the concept all about?

Actually, the masterpieces whose jackets I posted here (instead of a list, 'cause I love images) are all very famous instrumental concept albums. Because I have no talent to write a serious analysis (reviews) of what I listen, please go listen to these albums and you will be told by the music

Edited by Svetonio - July 20 2014 at 06:27
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:19
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

I have no talent for serious analysis of what I listen

Ask me what flavour my tongue is.Confused
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

I have no talent for serious analysis of what I listen
Ask me what flavour my tongue is.Confused

If you think you can provoke me with such foolishness, you are sadly mistaken.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:33
No one is asking for a PhD thesis or a dissertation of Proustian proportion. Unless you say why you find these to be good examples of instrumental concept albums they will remain random cover pictures. Your replies here show well enough that you are smarter than this. We ask nicely, we ask curtly and/or we ask bluntly - each time the same excuse and you continue to ignore out pleas. That is rudeness in any language and in any culture.

Edited by Dean - July 20 2014 at 06:34
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 06:51

(...) Unless you say why you find these to be good examples of instrumental concept albums they will remain random cover pictures. (..)

Sorry Dean, but I really do not intend to be here for the hearing of the informations that you already know (e.g. "Albedo 0.39 is about space and space physics"). This is ridiculous.
Information is not knowledge, music is the best - the girl from the bus said.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 07:11
Try Instagram, this is a discussion forum, so let's discuss - If I want to see pretty pictures I'll use Google Image Search, If I want to look at Vangelis album covers I'll got to his artist page. 

We all know what Albedo 0.39 is about - what are your views on how well that is conveyed in the music, if Vangelis had called it "Fluffy Bunny In The Headlights" or "Opus #39" would it have invoked the same feelings in YOU?

What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 07:22

(...), if Vangelis had called it "Fluffy Bunny In The Headlights" or "Opus #39" would it have invoked the same feelings in YOU?

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 07:58
I honestly don't know why I even try to reason with you. I would dearly love to ignore every post you make here but your breed of spam-trolling is difficult to avoid.
What?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 08:59

(...) I would dearly love to ignore every post you make here but your breed of spam-trolling is difficult to avoid.

My "breed of spam-trolling"?! No problem Dean, I will ignore your posts from now on. As you do not admin anymore that I have read your posts for notifications, alerts, etc.
Also, you are not a member of any of the Teams that I need to read what you have to say about my suggestions at PA' "Suggest new bands and artists" sub-forum (my favourite one).
Indeed, I really have no reason to read your posts after a series of insults (when you run out of arguments).

e.g. :

Quote Originally posted by Svetonio

Let the reviews speaks for the music.

Quote Originally posted by Dean
Stop being a dick.

Gravitsapa thread, page 2

Last but not least, I am not interested in your musical philosophy, much less in your erudition. I saw a lot of internet erudits, and you know what - they become boring after a while. So, bye bye Dean!
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:16
If Herbie Hancock is listed on Progarchives, which is the case, would it be appropriate to mention his Maiden Voyage? 

Also - possibly - The Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy, a space-themed Return To Forever album from the '70s. 

I'm glad the OP started this topic, reminding me of Camel. So I pulled out the Goose and gave it a good listen, and I was well pleased :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:19

Would you say then that the musical concepts that work are those where we already know the backstory, ie those that are based upon well-known existing work, such as Watership Down, Lord Of The Rings or The Snow Goose... or those themed albums that are intended to provide instrumental vignettes to characters such as The Six Wives of Henry VIII or inspired on objects such as the cards in a Tarot deck? [no clues... this is a pop quiz - name that album]

I don't know how to answer that but I can tell you that I have bits and pieces from everywhere, and one day I write a piece about John Doe, and this bit and piece I had, fits in the middle of it somehow, and becomes a part of it.

You play music. You know that happens!

I am not sure, or convinced, that we all start with "ideas", similar to a child, just sitting at one keyboard ... and they do this and that, and you look at it. The "sense" that you and I would expect and define for ourselves, when we do something, would be missing ... at least as far as we know, since we do not know what a "child sense" would be other than our own ideas.

And there are many artists, that are "very child like" (if you will) in their approach.

Sidebar:
Actually "Savage Messiah" and Ken's film on Dante Gabriel Rossetti are my favorite "biographies" of his, and his Isadora Duncan is very nice as well. Mahler's film was very nice, but in some ways ... left me "disconnected" even though I don't know why. Have to see it again.

...Holst's Planet Suite is most definitely a concept, but Handel's Music For The Royal Fireworks and Tichycoughski's 1812 Overture are commemorative pieces based upon ideas but are not conceptual.

Agreed.

Tichycoughski's?

Hahaha!!!!

Oh, btw, I never have names for any poems or things I write, because I have no idea what to use for it. On the poems, I use the first line to identify them!

Edited by moshkito - July 20 2014 at 11:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 11:47

(...) I would dearly love to ignore every post you make here but your breed of spam-trolling is difficult to avoid.

My "breed of spam-trolling"?! No problem Dean, I will ignore your posts from now on. As you do not admin anymore that I have read your posts for notifications, alerts, etc. 
Also, you are not a member of any of the Teams that I need to read what you have to say about my suggestions at PA' "Suggest new bands and artists" sub-forum (my favourite one). 
Indeed, I really have no reason to read your posts after a series of insults (when you run out of arguments). 

e.g. : 

Quote  Originally posted by Svetonio 

Let the reviews speaks for the music.

Quote Originally posted by Dean 
Stop being a dick.

Gravitsapa thread, page 2 

Last but not least, I am not interested in your musical philosophy, much less in your erudition. I saw a lot of internet erudits, and you know what - they become boring after a while. So, bye bye Dean!
I had given a curt reply to this but since have changed my mind so have deleted that post in favour of this more considered response:

I've not so much changed my mind as actually looked at the circumstances of my advice to you to "stop being a dick" and the flow of conversation that lead up to it, which I still believe is fully justified. I don't think I could have found a better example of your trollish attitude if I tried.

After some pointed discussion on the nature of unsigned artists with limited web-presence, a member of the Math Rock team voiced an opinion that Gravitsapa could fit in Math Rock, to which you acted as if that was a done-deal- so I posted:

Not so fast - wait for the team to decide, not the opinion of one person. This is a democratic process

to which your snippy retort was "Let the reviews speak for the music" - in light of the previous discussion in that thread I believed then that was a dickish response, and I still do (I'm certainly not going to apologise for saying it - I could have chosen a more erudite wording, but the sentiment remains). Democracy it seems is a vague concept to you, as is the means by which we evaluate and add artists to the Archive. The Suggest New Bands may be your favourite sub-forum, but you are far from our favourite band suggester. You moan that we take so long to evaluate a band yet continue to flood us with more inappropriate suggestions so we can no longer cope with the backlog. Whether you like it or not, we're never going to add every Bandcamp artist you suggest, and given your appalling track record we're never going to add a band based upon your word alone - we listen to every suggestion and evaluate them as teams.

As you so rightly point out, I'm nether an Admin nor on an evaluation team so that's not my responsibility any more - however when you suggested the band it was and it was a role I took very seriously until you turned up.

So after much procrastination and deliberation Gravitsapa was eventually added last month, not in Math Rock as you suggested but to RIO/Avant-Prog. Not a fast response by us by any means and something that perhaps needed to be looked at, (reducing the number of silly suggestions would help), however the Admin team have since promoted Luca to a senior role in the ZART team so things can only improve. 

Since then we have been waiting for these fabled "reviews [to] speak for the music", and to date both their albums have amassed a total of two ratings a piece (and no reviews) - these blistering 5-star review-less ratings have come from yourself and Sasha Jabovsky, guitarist and vocalist of Gravitsapa. There is of course no rule against that, an artist is free to review and rate their own work here and I would be disappointed if the person who suggested the band didn't review at least one of their albums, such is the nature of democracy, but the lack of "fan" reviews does not look good (it looks abysmal to the point of being uncomfortably embarrassing). That is not a situation that makes us happy at all and goes to emphasise the points we have been making regarding unsigned artists and artists with little or no web-presence outside the rarefied atmosphere of Bandcamp. Not every Bandcamp artist is suitable for this site. It's a hard and uncomfortable reality, but a reality none-the-less - we are not here to promote artists, we are here for the fans to write reviews.

So, ignore me all you like, that's nothing new, you've ignored me when I've been polite and you've ignored me on the one occasion I've broken the pretence of polite behaviour and spoken my mind. I will try to ignore you in Band Suggestions and in the Bandcamp Recommendations thread that you've successfully managed to turn into a mockery all by yourself - what was once a decent thread is now one where no one cares what you post. In recent times I've spoke out against your flood of pointless YouTube videos, and now I chose to voice my opinion on your flood of pointless album cover images - whenever I see a succession of posts by you in a thread my heart sinks, for the love of Prog please do not turn every thread into a repeat of the Bandcamp Recommendations thread. Restrain yourself, add an opinion of your own that you didn't read from Wikipedia or Bandcamp description, tell us what YOU think. You're smart and you have a brain, why not use it? Being erudite is not a negative trait, however, having knowledge and not sharing it is.

peace out.

ciao.

Edited by Dean - July 20 2014 at 11:48
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 12:37
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I don't know how to answer that but I can tell you that I have bits and pieces from everywhere, and one day I write a piece about John Doe, and this bit and piece I had, fits in the middle of it somehow, and becomes a part of it.

You play music. You know that happens!

I am not sure, or convinced, that we all start with "ideas", similar to a child, just sitting at one keyboard ... and they do this and that, and you look at it. The "sense" that you and I would expect and define for ourselves, when we do something, would be missing ... at least as far as we know, since we do not know what a "child sense" would be other than our own ideas.

And there are many artists, that are "very child like" (if you will) in their approach.

Naivety perhaps, but not child like. As a "composer" (I use that term very loosely)  I may have a melody or hook to play around with but generally start with an idea of where I want to go with it - a game-plan or a story board perhaps. It's like with writing - I have written two novels, both of them episodic in that I wrote them live online, publishing each chapter as I wrote them. Personally I could not have done that without a conceptual story-board and extensive plot and character notes to guide me through the process. The world is full of badly conceived and executed novels without me joining in. I'm sure other authors can do without all that, but when you're working without an editor and/or a proof-reader to keep a sanity check on what you are producing mostly that results in a glorified mess. I guess you like that unstructured approach, but for me it rarely results in a satisfactory novel - I dislike cut-ups and 'stream of unconsciousness' ramblings - it's too hit or miss and often is simply "miss". Gonzo is an amusing character in The Muppets, it's not a writing style that I adhere to or particularly admire. 

Similarly, music has structure for a reason. Too many "bedroom" composers just noodle around on the keyboard and it shows - music that rambles and goes no-where, melodies that fail to develop or resolve and often only end when the tape runs out (so to speak) - that is not even improvisation, it's just noodling. Noodling is for finger and brain exercise and personal amusement, it's something I do when I've a free moment to just play and enjoy myself, it's not for public consumption. The world could be improved if some artists kept their meandering noodling to themselves - we don't need to hear every note they play in their lifetime.

When I produced my "Pilgrim" album I developed the initial idea into a concept and spent hours in research long before I wrote a single note. This involved not only re-reading Pilgrim's Progress, but also in researching the history behind it and trying to understand the concepts Bunyan was putting across in the book and my impression of it - so rather than re-tell the story, I took a different tack and tried to convey Mr Valiant-for-Truth's journey to the Celestial Country in music - each part of the journey was carefully considered, I knew the mood and feeling I wanted in each piece even if the tune or melody eluded me until I pressed the first note of the first bar. How successful that was as a finished album is immaterial - it started with the concept and pulled themes from all directions but all with a clear plan of where it was going and how it would end. [As I have said before, it's not one of my favourite albums - it simply strayed too far from the kind of music I set out to create 50 albums earlier - it's pseudo-classical and that's not the music I wanted to make when I started - I don't dislike the music or the finished product, I simply became disillusioned by the style of music my writing developed into - that was the "naked lunch" moment for me if you like]

Of course I cannot say that is how all artists compose because clearly every artist is different and we all have our own preferred way of working, but I would be surprised if the majority just winged-it and made it up as they went along.

So, I've partly explained the backstory to my 50th album and  I have stated was a instrumental concept album by design - it is now impossible for you to listen to it (the name above is a link to a free download if you're interested) without knowing that. You can of course ignore the concept and just listen to the notes, it doesn't change anything.

Wink
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 13:39
Djam Karet's A Night For Baku

The band's Wiki entry has a line that handily explains the title:

"The title derives from Japanese folklore: the Baku are mythical inhabitants of the dream world, valiant warriors who devour nightmares as the spoils of battle."
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2014 at 14:21
Love that album.

My favorite concept instrumental album, Marscape!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=15293

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 20 2014 at 17:06
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2014 at 01:00
If Pink Floyd will release a new album as an instrumental & "back to basis" album as it was announced as well, it gonna be produced as an instrumental concept album, methinks.

Edited by Svetonio - July 21 2014 at 01:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>