Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Singers: voice, techniq, melodies, lyrics, passion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSingers: voice, techniq, melodies, lyrics, passion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 13:27
"What do you consider most important for a singer to be considered as a great singer:

a) he-she should have a very pleasant or special voice timbre
b) he-she should have a great technique, vocal range and mastering of different vocal expression techniques
c) he-she constructs really strong and beautiful melody lines
d) he-she is a great lyricist
e) he delivers his-her singing with great passion and feel"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the above to some degree for me......though I'm not sure what 'great singer' means.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 14:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

Having said that, I'll take Robert Plant as my vocalist, over any prog rock vocalist -- but I'm not sure I want him singing Karnevil IX

And I'll take Ronnie James Dio. IMO, all five points in the OP's post apply to Ronnie's capabilities as demonstrated on many albums from the '70s through the '00s, though many people will likely take his lyrics to task.

Robert Plant and Ronnie James Dio for sure. May I also add Chino from the Deftones and Maynard James Keenan. Some can't appreciate Chino, but he is a jazz vocalist in an alt metal context a lot of times, if you ask me. even though he might be/definitely would be lost in an actual jazz setting.

Edited by Nick Dilley - July 27 2014 at 14:01
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 14:02
But yeah, Dio's lyrics are.....chotto.....
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 16:50
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

A band could have a vocalist who had a dry, non-emotional delivery....a mumbler of sorts....and it could still work just fine with their music.  It cannot be reduced to boxes that must be checked.  There is only one box.  Do I like listening to it?  That's the box.  Big smile
Alright but that's an easy way out, just not caring to trying to understand why things are the way they are, if you are an endeavouring person you can still ask yourself why do you like listening to it more than to something else, it's not about trying to make it a scientific work, but about gaining understanding about what you think and feel and why is it so.

This psychic from Australia was funny with his images. And he used to say that one of the worst excuses and problems for folks is that they kept creating different boxes all the time, so they thought that they were handling the situation OK. He says that there was an inherant problem with that ... when are you going to create the box to get rid of all boxes, so you stop creating boxes?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 18:04
There's a alice blue one and a dark olive green one and an indigo one and a medium purple one and a purple one and an antique white one and a dark orange one and an ivory one and a medium sea green one and a red one and an aqua one and a dark orchid one and a khaki one and a medium slate blue one and a rosy brown one and an aqua marine one and a dark red one and a lavender one and a medium spring green one and a royal blue one and an azure one and a dark salmon one and a lavender blush one and a medium turquoise one and a saddle brown one and a beige one and a dark sea green one and a lawn green one and a medium violet red one and a salmon one and a bisque one and a dark slate blue one and a lemon chiffon one and a midnight blue one and a sandy brown one and a black one and a dark slate gray one and a light blue one and a mint cream one and a sea green one and a blanched almond one and a dark turquoise one and a light coral one and a misty rose one and a sea shell one and a blue one and a dark violet one and a light cyan one and a moccasin one and a sienna one and a blue violet one and a deep pink one and a light goldenrod yellow one and a navajo white one and a silver one and a brown one and a deep sky blue one and a light gray one and a navy one and a sky blue one and a burly wood one and a dim gray one and a light green one and an old lace one and a slate blue one and a cadet blue one and a dodger blue one and a light pink one and an olive one and a slate gray one and a chartreuse one and a fire brick one and a light salmon one and an olive drab one and a snow one and a chocolate one and a floral white one and a light sea green one and an orange one and a spring green one and a coral one and a forest green one and a light sky blue one and an orange red one and a steel blue one and a corn flower blue one and a fuchsia one and a light slate gray one and an orchid one and a tan one and a cornsilk one and a gainsboro one and a light steel blue one and a pale golden rod one and a teal one and a crimson one and a ghost white one and a light yellow one and a pale green one and a thistle one and a cyan one and a gold one and a lime one and a pale turquoise one and a tomato one and a dark blue one and a golden rod one and a lime green one and a pale violet red one and a turquoise one and a dark cyan one and a gray one and a linen one and a papaya whip one and a violet one and a dark golden rod one and a green one and a magenta one and a peach puff one and a wheat one and a dark gray one and a green yellow one and a maroon one and a peru one and a white one and a dark green one and a honey dew one and a medium aqua marine one and a pink one and a white smoke one and a dark khaki one and a hot pink one and a medium blue one and a plum one and a yellow one and a dark magenta one and an indian red one and a medium orchid one and a powder blue one and a yellow green one and they're all made out of ticky-tacky and they all look quite a bit different because that's why we give colours different names.
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 18:43
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

A band could have a vocalist who had a dry, non-emotional delivery....a mumbler of sorts....and it could still work just fine with their music.  It cannot be reduced to boxes that must be checked.  There is only one box.  Do I like listening to it?  That's the box.  Big smile
Alright but that's an easy way out, just not caring to trying to understand why things are the way they are, if you are an endeavouring person you can still ask yourself why do you like listening to it more than to something else, it's not about trying to make it a scientific work, but about gaining understanding about what you think and feel and why is it so.

I guess I don't understand the obsession with trying to figure out why a song moves you.  Who cares?  Listening to music is like falling in love in some ways....  Love it, hate it, play it to death, move on......half the fun of music to me is simple exploration and being surprised.  Sorry but I just don't agree with your assessment. 

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 19:30
^ I care. If I were a singer and became great, that wouldn't be a good excuse for me not to aspire to become even greater. I guess I'm in a way like Gerard: I can't help but let my brainy side try to figure out the ingredients to success based on merit, be curious. I'm not saying we are eugenicists, but there are ways to be a better singer.

"Why should you as a singer be better?", you might ask me. ... Why not? I just want to add to the listener's experience.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 27 2014 at 19:37
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 20:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  The thing is, the attributes Gerard mentioned are very broad and not specific, so it's not just some box to tick.  Let's look at it this way: if a singer cannot write good lyrics, does not have a great voice, does not sing over a large range, lacks expression, has poor diction and also does not perform passionately, would he/she still be able to impress?  Quite improbable, I would think.  What works in the context of a specific song is rather different from what a singer needs to make a mark in his/her own right.  Great folk songwriters wrote great lyrics, great soul singers had great technique, great punk vocalists were passionate.  

Understood, but that's a slightly different question,...you are right, the person you describe probably wouldn't impress many people.  But the original question was asking what specifically is important to me to be a great singer....and the honest answer is, there aren't any specific or consistent attributes that I require in order for something to please me.  I'm not trying to be evasive, but there aren't .  

Or maybe I just completely misunderstand.  Sorry, not trying to start an argument. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 20:20
I understood it as asking how would one rank these qualities in terms of importance for singers and what would be some  great singers who possessed some or all of these qualities.  Having done a little bit of singing and watched many others, I would say timbre is vitally important.  Not necessarily a particularly well honed voice but just a voice that sounds in some way distinct.  Nobody can define what is a distinct voice but I believe that if a singer just used the right technique to produce voice and did not try too hard to imitate his idols, he would find his own voice over a period of time; no two voices are, by and large, identical.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 20:24
---- deleted comment-----

Edited by rogerthat - July 28 2014 at 09:20
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2014 at 20:28
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ I care. If I were a singer and became great, that wouldn't be a good excuse for me not to aspire to become even greater. I guess I'm in a way like Gerard: I can't help but let my brainy side try to figure out the ingredients to success based on merit, be curious. I'm not saying we are eugenicists, but there are ways to be a better singer.

"Why should you as a singer be better?", you might ask me. ... Why not? I just want to add to the listener's experience.

This.  Basically separating the appreciation aspect from the performance aspect.  Appreciation may be a wholly subjective exercise but performance involves doing certain tangible things and even if people don't admit to it consciously, they do, as listeners, form some expectations of what a singer ought to do.  There are many technical and artistic aspects of the trade that one can observe in the way great singers do it.  And it's not too much of a stretch to say that a singer who has a great voice, huge range, great technique, great diction and expression must be a great singer.  We do have to start defining things at some point, otherwise it would be impossible to make observations.   I wish singing technique was something for which inspiration just magically arrived in a dream but that's never the case and every great singer put in hours and hours of practice to get to where they are.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:35

Careful!

That's a bit of an illusion since you have no way of measuring if you are reaching the audience or not, or even how much!

That's the first thing you learn on stage ... that sometimes, no matter how much of yourself you give ... it didn't look like it went anywhere. And then you turned and threw your butt Mick Jagger style, like you didn't care, and all the girls went gagggagoogoo over it!

You can't predict the response. On top of the fact that all audiences are different each night!

Your thinking that you want to add something to anyone else is silly, when it's all said and done!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 10:39
^^^  Er, care to explain how your concern for the audience reaction fits into your anti-top 10 perspective of music?  I agree completely that it is impossible to predict how the audience might receive a performance.  All the more reason for the singer to focus on his personal satisfaction.  Pursuing constant self improvement will sustain him better than swinging wildly to the highs and lows of fan reactions.  Do you really believe that singers who have maintained their level for decades together did that by only caring about what the audience would like and never about whether they themselves felt satisfied with their level?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 11:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

... "Why should you as a singer be better?", you might ask me. ... Why not? I just want to add to the listener's experience.
Careful! That's a bit of an illusion since you have no way of measuring if you are reaching the audience or not, or even how much!
If I can reach the audience, good; if I can't, fine. At least I was trying, and some listeners can at least appreciate that I've put some effort into what I've done. And don't tell me that there is no way of telling whether there is at least one person in the audience who appreciates what I do ... because then the world as a musically perceptive whole would probably be done. (The underlined words here are the keywords.)

What is it that Nick Mason said in one of his interviews? "Don't try to second-guess the audience."
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Your thinking that you want to add something to anyone else is silly, ...
And you have nothing to back up that statement.
I'm tired of taking a post apart into all of its components, the individual statements. I think I've hit all the key points, so I'll leave the rest of your post well enough alone.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 28 2014 at 15:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456