Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedZappa Vs. Pink Floyd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Who is the more popular in PA. Zappa or Floyd?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [20.31%]
49 [76.56%]
2 [3.13%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 14:11
Originally posted by ProgPassion ProgPassion wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Pink Floyd. Frank Zappa was a great character, some funny songs, not a great composer

You may be able to have an opinion, but this statement here is completely false.
Zappa by a mile on this one. Ain't no one style the man can't master, create a disaster, satirize, and completely make his own. In terms of "progressive", hard to name another artist that more aptly fits the term. An advocate of free speech and a pioneer in self awareness, a personal hero of mine.
Floyd is Floyd. The gap between their most creative output and their lowest point is too close for me to deem them anything other than slightly above mediocre.

I agree with LSDisease that Zappa was far from a great composer. Have you actually heard some of Zappa's attempts at classical music? Absolutely a disgrace to the genre IMHO. A Ravel, Shostakovich, or Bartok he was not! I also disagree about the 'mastering' of styles. I mean who cares? This doesn't make him a viable, emotional force in music. If anything, he alienates listeners and if this thread is any indication still continues to. I'm not saying he wasn't a good musician, quite the contrary, but I don't think his music has been able to establish any kind of foothold because so much of it is nonsensical and unemotional for many listeners.

Frank Zappa didn't believe in music as a way to convey emotion. The fact that Pink Floyd are winning this poll is a travesty. Frank Zappa is a far, far greater artist. 
Don't get disheartened, this poll is ultimately about popularity. Not artistic merit.

Edited by SteveG - July 22 2014 at 14:11
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 14:23
Roger Waters' era Pink Floyd.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 14:53
None Tongue.  I care for both

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - July 22 2014 at 14:54
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 15:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Pink Floyd. Frank Zappa was a great character, some funny songs, not a great composer

You may be able to have an opinion, but this statement here is completely false.
Zappa by a mile on this one. Ain't no one style the man can't master, create a disaster, satirize, and completely make his own. In terms of "progressive", hard to name another artist that more aptly fits the term. An advocate of free speech and a pioneer in self awareness, a personal hero of mine.
Floyd is Floyd. The gap between their most creative output and their lowest point is too close for me to deem them anything other than slightly above mediocre.

I agree with LSDisease that Zappa was far from a great composer. Have you actually heard some of Zappa's attempts at classical music? Absolutely a disgrace to the genre IMHO. A Ravel, Shostakovich, or Bartok he was not! I also disagree about the 'mastering' of styles. I mean who cares? This doesn't make him a viable, emotional force in music. If anything, he alienates listeners and if this thread is any indication still continues to. I'm not saying he wasn't a good musician, quite the contrary, but I don't think his music has been able to establish any kind of foothold because so much of it is nonsensical and unemotional for many listeners.

Frank Zappa didn't believe in music as a way to convey emotion. The fact that Pink Floyd are winning this poll is a travesty. Frank Zappa is a far, far greater artist. 
Don't get disheartened, this poll is ultimately about popularity. Not artistic merit.

I think Floyd songs mean something to far more people. There is an emotional attachment to Floyd that Zappa simply cannot match, and a lot has to do with Zappa simply doing too much satire and parody over the years. The comedy bits just wore thin.

So it is not a travesty at all. Many rock fans grew out of the scatological jokes of Zappa, but Floyd still was listened to as they grew older. That, and Zappa has a very specific fanbase; whereas Floyd has fans from punks to metalheads.

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 22 2014 at 15:25
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 15:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I think Floyd songs mean something to far more people. There is an emotional attachment to Floyd that Zappa simply cannot match, and a lot has to do with Zappa simply doing too much satire and parody over the years. The comedy bits just wore thin.
Chill mon, it's all for fun.
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 15:27

Even if we ignore all of the comedy and satire he did, there still stands a body of work of unparalleled brilliance. Although, personally I feel more emotion in his music.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 15:29

I haven't slightest idea what you are referring to. You obviously have never read one of my posts wherein I am actually annoyed.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 15:35

I haven't slightest idea what you are referring to. You obviously have never read one of my posts wherein I am actually annoyed.
I have no idea what you are talking about as I was literately copying my emoticon.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 17:47
Floyd for the win!! all respect for Zappa though BIG TIME! i mean, we were born both in Maryland not far apart from each other even though neither of us lived to see the light of day (he died in '93 or '94 and i was born in '99) one from Baltimore and other from Prince Frederick (living in Lusby). guess which one is Zappa!
Progrockdude
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 18:42
That's another thing. I never thought Floyd was particularly emotional, in general. Unemotional is far more accurate, but that can be resonant in its own way.

I feel more emotion from Zappa is something like "Packard Goose" or hey, "Watermelon in Easter Hay" than any Floyd. "Comfortably Numb" is over-dramatic more than emotional. I think Zappa cared more than Floyd ever did.
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 19:09
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

That's another thing. I never thought Floyd was particularly emotional, in general. Unemotional is far more accurate, but that can be resonant in its own way.

I feel more emotion from Zappa is something like "Packard Goose" or hey, "Watermelon in Easter Hay" than any Floyd. "Comfortably Numb" is over-dramatic more than emotional. I think Zappa cared more than Floyd ever did.

I can't even begin to describe how much I love Watermelon in Easter Hay; for me, there is no piece of music that is more beautiful. In that guitar phrase, Zappa captures the full spectrum of human emotion.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 20:17

Unhappy 

If you can't feel any emotion in Gilmour's guitar playing than God help you. You're a lost cause.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 20:29

Regardless of what Zappa's intent with his music was, at the end of the day, more people connect with Pink Floyd. It's as simple as that. Zappa was not an emotionally direct musician, although he does have some moments where the satire was kept to a minimum and his heart was able to shine through, but these moments are few and far between. Zappa may be the 'greater' artist, but this means nothing when it comes to trying to convey a message with music and actually saying something and, most importantly, touching people. Pink Floyd did this without all the smoke and mirrors and is a big part of why they're still revered amongst listeners and musicians alike. You can't deny their influence. Zappa appeals to a niche audience whereas Pink Floyd seem to have broken through and were able to reach people who maybe don't even listen to rock music on any kind of regular basis.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 22 2014 at 20:31
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 06:32
More people connect with Floyd but most of them are casual music fans/stoners.

I like Gilmour's guitar playing but the music is too simplistic to be all that emotional for me.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 06:50
The people who voted for Floyd here probably enjoyed being called casual music fans/stoners just then immensely . Stern Smile
What?
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 08:15

True, but it could be worse. I could be Sting.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 08:56

I like Gilmour's guitar playing but the music is too simplistic to be all that emotional for me.
Now it got serious. Thumbs Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 09:43

I highly disagree. One has to wonder whether you've actually heard a Pink Floyd album before. On the surface, Pink Floyd's music may seem simplistic but this has to do more with its emotional directness than the actual music itself. The Wall taken as a whole, which, in theory, is one large work, it is one of the most complicated pieces of music in rock music. Anyway, I'm not here to convince you to change your mind, but I am here to tell you that you're WRONG! Big smile 

Edited by Mirror Image - July 23 2014 at 19:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 09:48
Let me also say that while I agree casual listeners can find enjoyment in Floyd's output, the music itself is also complicated enough to keep musicians and serious listeners like myself interested and engaged.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 23 2014 at 09:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 09:58

Now it got serious. Thumbs Down
Just joking with my emoticon KC776 LOL but I was wondering if you play guitar?

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 10:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>