FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRob Reed - Sanctuary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:28
1-"This is a good album but this is irrelevant". To you maybe, but not to me. It's not a copy either. A copy would be a cover of Tubular Bells or Ommadawn, not a new piece of music in the style of TB.

2- A true tribute album is just that. A tribute to the artist whose style is being used. There is no need for it to have its own specifics or elements or it loses its value as a tribute album.

3- He did not COPY Oldfield's music. He composed his own music in Oldfield's style. Those are two quite different things. Why you talk like this?

4- Ok. Fair enough.

5- That's because neither Magenta nor Kompendium were Genesis tributes, but have their own style which may draw some elements from Genesis. Sanctuary is a tribute album that uses the style of another to create NEW music in that style.

6- Because it is NEW. I have Oldfield's first four albums (and then some), but I like the style and this is NEW MUSIC in that style. It is not a COPY. A COPY would be Reed actually playing Tubular Bells or Incantations or Hergest Ridge. THAT would be a copy.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

1-"This is a good album but this is irrelevant". To you maybe, but not to me. It's not a copy either. A copy would be a cover of Tubular Bells or Ommadawn, not a new piece of music in the style of TB.

2- A true tribute album is just that. A tribute to the artist whose style is being used. There is no need for it to have its own specifics or elements or it loses its value as a tribute album.

3- He did not COPY Oldfield's music. He composed his own music in Oldfield's style. Those are two quite different things. Why you talk like this?

4- Ok. Fair enough.

5- That's because neither Magenta nor Kompendium were Genesis tributes, but have their own style which may draw some elements from Genesis. Sanctuary is a tribute album that uses the style of another to create NEW music in that style.

6- Because it is NEW. I have Oldfield's first four albums (and then some), but I like the style and this is NEW MUSIC in that style. It is not a COPY. A COPY would be Reed actually playing Tubular Bells or Incantations or Hergest Ridge. THAT would be a copy.

Yes you're right, clearly this is NOT a copy of Oldfield. I think Rob himself said that, as Mr Oldfield is not making music of this style now, then someone else should.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:23
Tribute album must cover songs of original Artist's album or songs(IMO). By Searching in PA you can see that. I never see this kind of tribute as you say. One musician playing his/her new songs in others style (even in smallest details) and named Tribute on it.  Can you give me a CLEAR "this kind of tribute" album? I honestly want to know that and I dont want to proof my opinion in this way. I really want to see one fit Example.

Honestly I listen to Sanctuary 2 or 3 times in a day and suggest this album to my friends but I think this is a Exact Copy and "Unrateable". Cover songs or Albums better than Copy and cover can be a tribute stuff!! but Copy not.

Chopper said : " I think Rob himself said that, as Mr Oldfield is not making music of this style now, then someone else should." This is a good point chopper but why you think this is not a COPY? 

Sometimes musicians COPY (not cover) others works for commercial purpose. I dont think Rob wants to do that and I think he Loves this kind of music.
We can continue this discuss and I learn and enjoy in this type of posts. I respect to chopper and The Doctor and any of intellectual members like you and appreciate to talk with you. Thanks for your time guys.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:05
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Tribute album must cover songs of original Artist's album or songs(IMO). By Searching in PA you can see that. I never see this kind of tribute as you say. One musician playing his/her new songs in others style (even in smallest details) and named Tribute on it.  Can you give me a CLEAR "this kind of tribute" album? I honestly want to know that and I dont want to proof my opinion in this way. I really want to see one fit Example.

The most well known tribute song that is not a cover is of course is Back In The U.S.S.R by the Abbey Road house band which is widely acknowledged as a tribute to both Chuck Berry and The Beach Boys.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:21
When you stop and think about it most "tribute" albums are not really tributes at all. Doing an album of cover songs in a completely different style to the original isn't that much of a tribute to the original artist in reality. "Yeah man, I like the song but the way you played it was sh_te so I've done it in a totally different style." - the only person being honoured there is the song-writer. Of course a cover song that is an verbatim copy is pretty pointless unless you are a tribute band, and ersatz copies are worthless so in the main tribute albums only work when they add something to the original in some way.

Edited by Dean - August 01 2014 at 11:31
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:26
I agree for the most part. I don't particularly care for tribute albums that are nothing but covers. 99 times out of 100, the original is better than the cover, whether the remake is a note for note copy or a different take on the original. There are some exceptions of course, a lot of the early Beatles tunes were covers that I prefer to the originals (Money, Twist & Shout, etc.). I think a real tribute is to do new music in the style of a band or artist, I think there you get the best of something new and something old.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:34
I cant Understand Dean! Very clever example. I'm sure you get my point but....
Now very clear question: Do you think Sanctuary is a "Tribute" album? If your answer is yes , can you give me your reasons?
I think one tribute album or song must have a sign to show that this is a tribute when it isn't cover song or cover album. I dont know how to explain my opinion. For example How can I know that "Sanctuary" is a tribute album? Did Rob write this on his CD cover? Or did he said in one interview? I dont think so. IMO Rob COPY Oldfield's Style , composing,Sound of Instruments,Format, Accompaniment and.....very clear without any pointing to Tribute.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:38
The fact that he used Oldfield's style, sound, format, accompaniment, etc. very clearly points to it being a tribute, without the need for Rob Reed to spell it out for us. However, Reed stating that since Oldfield didn't do that style of music anymore, somebody should be (how is that not blatantly telling us that it's a tribute album). Would you like "TRIBUTE" written in big bold letters on the front cover to clue you in? Listening to the music should be able to tell you that.

Basically, what you're saying is that should I compose and perform an album of original material in the style of Genesis, so close to Genesis that it could be considered a "lost" Genesis album, but don't state that it's a tribute album, then it's not a tribute album, but if I state that it is, then it is? So the actual music on the album is meaningless? Only what I say in the liner notes or in interviews is important?    

Edited by The Doctor - August 01 2014 at 11:42
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:54
No Doc. I never want to see "TRIBUTE" written BOLD . Lets talk about someone that never know Mike Oldfield or didn't listen to 70's Oldfield's works. How can he/she find "This is a Tribute"? This isnt fair. I always thought you have Copyright rules in west . In IRAN musicians COPY others easily and now I see this happen in other countries. I never want go other side of red line but Sanctuary and this kind of albums isn't fair. I afraid to say my opinion freely and then PA ban me.
I havent metaphysics power to read others minds. In this case I cant scan Rob's mind to find his purpose. Maybe you know his mean and knows he wants to TRIBUTE Oldfield's first four albums. Maybe you right,
After all you cant give me just one logical reason to show that Sanctuary isnt copy and it is a TRIBUTE album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:03
Copyright rules are just that, if Reed had COPIED Mike Oldfield's work, like parts of Tubular Bells (note for note) and tried to pass it off as his own work without giving Oldfield proper credit and royalties, it would violate copyright laws. Just using a style of music that others have used is not a violation of copyright laws. Otherwise, just about every musician on the planet has at some point or another violated copyright laws.

I've given you several logical reasons why this isn't a copy and IS a tribute album, you've just chosen to ignore them. The fact that this would NOT in any way violate copyright laws is just one more reason why this isn't a copy. He would have to COPY Oldfield's actual music that he had already written, not just his style.

What else could possibly be Reed's purpose except as a tribute to Oldfield and it's been all over the place where Reed has said basically "THIS IS DONE IN THE STYLE OF MIKE OLDFIELD". How much clearer does he have to be to satisfy you? Do you think maybe his purpose was world domination? Step 1 - Do album in style of Tubular Bells. Step 3 - assume complete power over entire planet. Step 2 - ?. (So I don't violate copyright laws, with thanks to South Park - "The Underpants Gnomes" episode).   
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:03

I cant Understand Dean! Very clever example. I'm sure you get my point but....
Now very clear question: Do you think Sanctuary is a "Tribute" album? If your answer is yes , can you give me your reasons?
The answer is a qualified "yes". Replicating a defining style of another artist can be regarded as a tribute. Sounding like another artist can be thought of as a homage or tribute.

The question centres around "What defines an Oldfield piece of music?" It is not the notes themselves as the tunes and melodies vary considerably across his discography. It is not just the style of playing even though Oldfield's guitar style is pretty unique and easily identified, he has used that style of playing on other albums by other people without them sounding like Tubular Bells. I think it is mainly the composition, compositional style and the arrangements used. Oldfield has demonstrated on Tubular Bells II, Tubular Bells III and Millennium Bell it is not the style of music being played or the actual notes themselves that defines the albums but how he composes, arranges and plays them. Reed has captured that compositional and arrangement style.

This is something that is more common in classical music where composers will pay homage (or tribute) to another composer by referencing their style of composition in a new piece of music - Mozart did this quite a bit. Rick Wakeman famously does this to perfection in his one-man live shows as the Nursery Rhyme Concerto.

I think one tribute album or song must have a sign to show that this is a tribute when it isn't cover song or cover album. I dont know how to explain my opinion. For example How can I know that "Sanctuary" is a tribute album? Did Rob write this on his CD cover? Or did he said in one interview? I dont think so. IMO Rob COPY Oldfield's Style , composing,Sound of Instruments,Format, Accompaniment and.....very clear without any pointing to Tribute.
He has acknowledge that it is his "tubular bells" in press-releases for the album and on the official Sanctuary web page. Sure he did not use the word "tribute" but he mentions Tubular Bells several times so that is what it is. If he had recorded this album without acknowledging Oldfield or Tubular Bells then it would not be a tribute but merely imitation.

Edited by Dean - August 01 2014 at 12:06
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Copyright rules are just that, if Reed had COPIED Mike Oldfield's work, like parts of Tubular Bells (note for note) and tried to pass it off as his own work without giving Oldfield proper credit and royalties, it would violate copyright laws. Just using a style of music that others have used is not a violation of copyright laws. Otherwise, just about every musician on the planet has at some point or another violated copyright laws.

I've given you several logical reasons why this isn't a copy and IS a tribute album, you've just chosen to ignore them. The fact that this would NOT in any way violate copyright laws is just one more reason why this isn't a copy. He would have to COPY Oldfield's actual music that he had already written, not just his style.

What else could possibly be Reed's purpose except as a tribute to Oldfield and it's been all over the place where Reed has said basically "THIS IS DONE IN THE STYLE OF MIKE OLDFIELD". How much clearer does he have to be to satisfy you? Do you think maybe his purpose was world domination? Step 1 - Do album in style of Tubular Bells. Step 3 - assume complete power over entire planet. Step 2 - ?. (So I don't violate copyright laws, with thanks to South Park - "The Underpants Gnomes" episode).   

Pretty well summed up there. Reed has clearly made a tribute to Oldfield and not a copy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 03:19
I don't understand this 'tribute' thing either. I believe he is copying Oldfield's style and that is all whether it be a supposed tribute or not. I don't have a great problem with whatever it is he is doing though and like the album. I actually prefer The Pirate Song over The Sailors Hornpipe so well done Rob!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 03:47
"This is not The Greatest Song in the World, 
No.
This is just a tribute.
Couldn't remember The Greatest Song in the World.
No, no.
This is a tribute, oh, to The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! 
It was The Greatest Song in the World,
All right! 
It was the best muthaf*ckin' song,
 The greatest song in the world."

Tribute ~ Tenacious D

What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:47
He succeeded in staring up a fuss on PA, with his tribute to old Mike.
Think I will stay clear of this old wine on new bottles.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 13:20
Having listened to this, I can't imagine for a moment that Reed meant this to be taken seriously, it's a light hearted nod and very well done bow to classic Oldfield.
I find the album amusing and problems only crop up if it's taken more seriously than Reed must have intended.
On top of that it's a godsend for anyone who has been starved of early Oldfield for decades now.
I for one am quite thankful that this album exists; the lost Oldfield tapes.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 13:40
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The question centres around "What defines an Oldfield piece of music?" It is not the notes themselves as the tunes and melodies vary considerably across his discography. It is not just the style of playing even though Oldfield's guitar style is pretty unique and easily identified, he has used that style of playing on other albums by other people without them sounding like Tubular Bells. I think it is mainly the composition, compositional style and the arrangements used. Oldfield has demonstrated on Tubular Bells II, Tubular Bells III and Millennium Bell it is not the style of music being played or the actual notes themselves that defines the albums but how he composes, arranges and plays them. Reed has captured that compositional and arrangement style.

This is something that is more common in classical music where composers will pay homage (or tribute) to another composer by referencing their style of composition in a new piece of music - Mozart did this quite a bit. Rick Wakeman famously does this to perfection in his one-man live shows as the Nursery Rhyme Concerto.

Hey that is beautiful! Is that from "Treasure Chest Vol.4: Almost Classical"? btw interesting notice that Mozart's piano sounded nothing "electric" compared to this one's sound.

Edited by Rick Robson - August 02 2014 at 14:25

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 09:46
Please guys. Hold up 1 minute! I said I LOVE SANCTUARY AND I LISTENED TO THIS ALBUM SO MUCH AND I WILL LISTEN TO SANCTUARY MORE AND MORE ...
Please tell me what is different between Tribute and Copy? We like this style and many of us miss this style. This is not a right point. I agree with richardh 100%. Yes good album, good music and many of this kind of "Goods".

Dean said : "It is not just the style of playing even though Oldfield's guitar style is pretty unique and easily identified, he has used that style of playing on other albums by other people without them sounding like Tubular Bells. I think it is mainly the composition, compositional style and the arrangements used"
What is copy Dean? Maybe some of you think like this:  "COPY NEVER EXIST." With this kind of reasons all copies are Tribute!!!
My opinion and yours specially The Doctor is very very close about this album. If you review this thread The Doc reasons like mine but we have a very small different. Tribute and Copy. 
I really want to know what is COPY? Thanks
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 17:41

Please guys. Hold up 1 minute! I said I LOVE SANCTUARY AND I LISTENED TO THIS ALBUM SO MUCH AND I WILL LISTEN TO SANCTUARY MORE AND MORE ...
Please tell me what is different between Tribute and Copy? We like this style and many of us miss this style. This is not a right point. I agree with richardh 100%. Yes good album, good music and many of this kind of "Goods".

Dean said : "It is not just the style of playing even though Oldfield's guitar style is pretty unique and easily identified, he has used that style of playing on other albums by other people without them sounding like Tubular Bells. I think it is mainly the composition, compositional style and the arrangements used"
What is copy Dean? Maybe some of you think like this:  "COPY NEVER EXIST." With this kind of reasons all copies are Tribute!!!
My opinion and yours specially The Doctor is very very close about this album. If you review this thread The Doc reasons like mine but we have a very small different. Tribute and Copy. 
I really want to know what is COPY? Thanks
A Tribute is always a good thing, even done badly. A Copy can be a good thing or a bad thing, it depends on how and why. All tributes are copies (in some form) but not all copies are tributes.

As with many of these arguments, it is a question of semantics over what a word can mean compared to what you think it means and this is due to the many different meanings and connotations that the word can have.

The word Copy can have many meanings in English. 

Consider this -

Copy:= Forgery, Imitation, Pastiche, Allusion, Parody

Those five words are alternate meanings of the word "copy" and have different connotations depending on how and where they are used (ie The Context) and reason why the copy was produced (ie The Intent). 

A Forgery is a verbatim copy with the intent to deceive. (never a tribute)
An Imitation is a stylistic copy with the intent to replicate the style of the original. (can be a tribute, seldom is)
A Pastiche is reverential copy with the intent to pay homage to the original. (A tribute)
An Allusion is a referential copy with the intent to acknowledge the original. (A tribute)
A Parody is an indirect copy with the intent to be humorous or satirical. (If done kindly it is a tribute, otherwise it is not)

The literal meaning of Pastiche is: "A pastiche is a work of visual art, literature, or music that imitates the style or character of the work of one or more other artists. Unlike parody, pastiche celebrates, rather than mocks, the work it imitates." ... So in the literal sense Sanctuary is stylistic imitation in the form of a pastiche, there is nothing bad in that - Mozart did it a lot. 

(come on guys - Pirate Song...using the exact same guitar tone and exact playing-style as Oldfield... how many clues do you need?).

Often in reviews and critiques the word pastiche can be given a negative connotation - in this use of the word similarity to another artist or piece of music can be unintentional or accidental - usually the critic is trying to look smarter than they perhaps are, what they mean is "pale imitation" (ie poor imitation)

On his web-site states: "Reed was conscious that he was treading a fine line in preventing Sanctuary becoming a pastiche of Tubular Bells. He continues: “I worked hard to make the melodies stand on their own. I wanted to capture the emotion that Mike Oldfield managed to communicate through his playing.".

Here he is using the negative connotation of the word pastiche that is different to its literal meaning - it does not mater how hard he worked on the melodies, what he has produced is literally a pastiche.

Quote "Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different." ~ T.S. Eliot, The Sacred Wood

Edited by Dean - August 03 2014 at 17:43
What?
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 09:00
Thumbs Up. Thank you so much Dean. Complete answer and I learn more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>