Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Vs. Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Who is more popular in PA, Yes or Genesis?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
72 [46.75%]
66 [42.86%]
1 [0.65%]
3 [1.95%]
12 [7.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 08:01
As just pointed out, Yes and Genesis became prog family and it is somewhat churlish to pit them against each other.  At the end of the day, I wish both bands had chucked the towel in during the early 80s as they both ceased to be 'progressive'.  Anderson and Gabriel both tried to innovate after that (I was amazed when I heard Anderson's 'Deseo Remixes' in a very unexpected place)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 18:48
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Uhm Yes gave us Bill Bruford aka KC but Genesis gave us Steve Hacket although Bruford also toured with Genesis, my pick just for this would be Genesis, but this voting poll is not fair, I love both bands inc. Grumpy Robert Fripp :( Stern SmileErmmBig smileHug

Grumpy Robert Fripp? Don't make me laugh!
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 18:33

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:28
ProgPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 09:09
Classical >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Prog
Otto9999 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2015 at 16:52

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Edited by Otto9999 - October 31 2015 at 11:25
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 19:45
I prefer Genesis, but it's very close. They did a few more great albums in the 70's and I also prefer their pop era to Yes's.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 20:39
I think if Yes' amazing period The Yes Album to GFTO---were not so amazing it would be an easy Genesis win but agree with the post above--Genesis did some nice pop prog and like it more than Yes' pop prog.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Is there going to be a poll where we can vote for the best "Yes vs Genesis" poll? LOL

Someone should do a search of all the various Yes versus Genesis polls over the years and add up all of the results to see who the ultimate winner is.

Granted, we'll probably find that the results are something like

Genesis:  11,651       Yes:   11,651

Well I've tried to take into calculation as many as I could find, which were quite some topics and a total of 1,942 votes. Sorry, not close to 11,651 but I couldn't find any more.

THE RESULT:
ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Yes: 992 votes => 51,08% ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Genesis: 950 votes => 48,92% ClapClapClapClapClapClap
ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Indeed a tiny difference!

Trivia:
- In almost all topics' titles it's first yes and then genesis, yes vs genesis seems sound better than genesis vs yes.
- It also seemed to change over time, from 2006 to know the outcome changed from yes then to genesis now more preferred.

To be continued forever....

Edited by DDPascalDD - October 06 2015 at 12:51
frajo99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 23:47
Definitely Yes. 
Not even a contest for me really. For some reason, even though I absolutely love seventies prog rock, I don't like Genesis very much. For one, it doesn't really even sound all that much like Prog rock to me, not what I associate most with Prog anyone. Genesis, to me, sounds more like Syd Barret Pink Floyd or certain psychedelic bands from the sixties. Closer to progressive pop than progressive rock, in my opinion.

Yes, on the other hand, is, I believe, the greatest symphonic progressive rock band that ever existed. I truly believe that Chris Squire was the greatest of all rock bassists. Steve Howe is a fantastically original guitarist, much better than Steve Hackett in my opinion (though, I still don't really forgive him for Asia). Bill Bruford has some of the most musical personality of any rock drummer, and Alan White is at least as good as Phil Collins. I don't know anyone who would argue that Tony Banks is better than Rick Wakeman. In fact, Rick Wakeman on his own was better than Genesis, in my opinion. Finally, Jon Anderson's beautifully ethereal voice backed by the harmonies of Chris and Steve was way better than Peter Gabriel's emo crooning.

Once again, though, this is all just my opinion. Also too be fair, I only considered their music up until the point they both became crappy sell-out pop groups.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:48
I agree with most of your views between Yes and Genesis... though I do enjoy Genesis a lot and do consider them a full progressive band, I do like Yes better, and every musician in the classic Yes line-ups better than their Genesis counterparts. However, it shows you are new at PA, for you will find that Steve Hackett is considered at least as good as Steve Howe, there are many who do like Tony Banks better than Rick Wakeman, very few would consider Rick Wakeman as an artist better than Genesis, and Peter Gabriel is much more beloved as a singer than Jon Anderson. Actually, Gabriel is perhaps the favourite singer in PA by a wide margin, while Anderson has many detractors who dismiss him or actually find him annoying or unlistenable. I myself don't agree with any of this perceptions, but that's the way it is around here.
frajo99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 11:15
You're right, of course. I was much too harsh on Genesis in that post. They are definitely a real prog band, and I couldn't argue otherwise. Steve Hackett in some of his solo stuff is at least as good as Steve Howe, it is true. In fact, I like Steve Hackett on Voyage of the Acolyte better than the vast majority of his work with Genesis. Too me, that album has the same kind of guitar sound that I love to hear in Yes music, and it is definitely much better than any of Steve Howe's solo albums. Tony Banks certainly isn't a bad keyboardist or anything, but Rick Wakeman is, in my personal opinion, the best of all prog keyboardists. He had the greatest versatility and, I think, the greatest ability to incorporate a broad range of classical ideas into rock music. Some might argue that Keith Emerson was better at this than Wakeman, but Emerson sometimes sounded like he was forcing the classical music into the song and relied too much on direct references to specific compositions. It all sounds very natural and original with Wakeman, but I digress; this post was about Yes and Genesis, not Yes and ELP. Anyway, there is really only one member of Genesis that I really have a hard time listening to, and that is Peter Gabriel. I just don't dig the sound of his voice or his lyrics. He did have a lot character, though, I have to admit that, and I could probably get myself to like him.

Edited by frajo99 - October 11 2015 at 11:15
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 21:43
Once again, I agree with just about everything you say. And indeed Wakeman is my favourite keyboardist... I don't know if Emerson is actually better technically speaking, but I enjoy Wakeman's playing much more than Emerson's. And once again, I don't like Gabriel's singing, nor his lyrics and concepts, but I can enjoy lot's of Classic era Genesis despite those factors.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 03:26
Genesis

70s Genesis > 70s Yes
80s Genesis < 80s Yes LOL
90s Genesis > 90s Yes

I did not like Yes' last two albums.
I did enjoy Magnification.

in the 90s, Yes released some weak stuff. Open your eyes was pretty awful and Union and The Ladder were uneven. Talk was ok, pretty enjoyable.

I actually enjoy We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations. Embarrassed
Frayz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 11:40
My personal opinion about this topic, i will be comparing them with each album.

In the 1970s: Genesis > Yes (Slightly better)
FGTR < Yes
Trespass > Time & a Word
Nursery Cryme = The Yes Album
Foxtrot > Fragile
Selling England By the Pound < Close To The Edge
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway > Tales From Topographic Oceans
A Trick of The Tail < Relayer
Wind & Wuthering = Going For the One
And then there were three > Tormato

1980s & 1990: Yes > Genesis
Duke < Drama
Abacab < 90125
Genesis > Big Generator
Invisible Touch < Union

1990s: Genesis = Yes
We Can't Dance < Talk
Calling All Stations > Open Your Eyes

The total result is, subjectively based on my opinion is: Yes is slightly better than Genesis.

Edited by Frayz - April 08 2016 at 11:46
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 14:41
I don't like Yes. I have problems with Jon Anderson's voice.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 15:02
Both bands have put out a bunch of really bad albums so I based my decision off of their strongest moments. And by that criteria, Yes very easily got my vote. 

I'd consider Yes to have released 3 masterpieces (Yes Album, Fragile, CTTE), compared to Genesis' 1 and a half (Trespass, side 1 of Nursery Cryme). Tales, Relayer and Talk are also strengths for Yes while there are only 3 Genesis albums I like enough that I play them regularly. As well, when Yes is on fire, it's just so much better than when Genesis is on fire. The number of times that Yes has astonished me is simply so much greater. For every time Genesis made me drop my jaw, I can think of dozens of times that Yes did the same or better. 

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 15:32
Genesis on fire??  LOL

good one man I see we do have a real comedian here..  I nearly spit my beer on the monitor trying to image Genesis showing any pulse much less fire. Ass kicking and genesis do go hand in hand in word association I suppose.

the same band that had to play dress up to get any attention or notice. Definitely didn't get it for putting their audiences to sleep or their mediocre early albums.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2016 at 22:24
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the same band that had to play dress up to get any attention or notice. Definitely didn't get it for putting their audiences to sleep or their mediocre early albums.

Genesis....? Dress up....? Really..? Gabriel was the only one. 
Anderson, Squire, and Wakeman often looked like superheroes from comic books with their flowing robes , hippie garb , and capes.
LOL

But I do agree that Yes  had more 'fire' when they were on.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 12:58
Fan of both, but went with Yes. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 16:34
As mediocre and overrated nursery is and mildly overrated lamb and England are due to Gabriel being overrated, I think Yes were pretty average after 1972. Genesis is better over all from 1970-1980

Edited by dr prog - January 10 2018 at 16:35
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>