Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho Inspired Chris Squire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Inspired Chris Squire?
    Posted: July 22 2014 at 09:50

Renaissance bassist Jon Camp has always publicly stated that the influence for his melodic 'lead' style bass playing came solely from Yes bassist Chris Squire (see Camp's interview in the Renaissance fanzine website Northern Lights  www.nlightsweb.com). But who inspired the great Chris Squire? And how did he get his unique sound?

Edited by SteveG - July 22 2014 at 13:36
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 10:21
I guess some of the biggies at the time, such as John Entwistle of The Who and Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane, might have been an inspiration.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 10:26
Pretty sure Macca would be one of them.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 10:36
The Ox, Macca and Jack the Bruce.
What?
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 11:19
Himself Big smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 11:30
I guess Macca was an inspiration to everybody by his popularity but honestly I don't see much of his style in Squire's early playing. The Ox and Bruce very probably were more of it. I guess that the first time he got his hands on a Ric 4001 some muse revealed some uberhuman secret to him. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 11:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

bingo
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I guess Macca was an inspiration to everybody by his popularity but honestly I don't see much of his style in Squire's early playing. The Ox and Bruce very probably were more of it. I guess that the first time he got his hands on a Ric 4001 some muse revealed some uberhuman secret to him. 
I thought the 4 and 5 stringers would have jumped on this one G, but times must have sure changed. Squire did indeed cite the Ox, Bruce and even Bill Wyman as inspirations. His Ric 4001, as the legend goes, was an early mono version that he modified himself to have stereo outputs from the two main pickups. The lower (treble) pickup signal was sent to a conventional bass amp and the the higher (bass) pickup signal was sent to a guitar amplifier with a fuzz tone pedal. The rest is history, as they say. The only other bassist even similar to his style at the time was Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad. However, Schacher played with a more lead guitar style with heavy use of slides and even string bends at times and he also employed way more distortion from a mono pickup Fender Jazz Bass, so Squire probably got little inspiration from him, but Schacher rocked the house first, probably by a year..

Edited by SteveG - July 22 2014 at 19:49
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 20:56
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

bingo

agreed
Progrockdude
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2014 at 21:45
Rosemary's baby?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 00:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I thought the 4 and 5 stringers would have jumped on this one G, but times must have sure changed. Squire did indeed cite the Ox, Bruce and even Bill Wyman as inspirations. His Ric 4001, as the legend goes, was an early mono version that he modified himself to have stereo outputs from the two main pickups. The lower (treble) pickup signal was sent to a conventional bass amp and the the higher (bass) pickup signal was sent to a guitar amplifier with a fuzz tone pedal. The rest is history, as they say. The only other bassist even similar to his style at the time was Mel Schacher from Grand Funk Railroad. However, Schacher played with a more lead guitar style with heavy use of slides and even string bends at times and he also employed way more distortion from a mono pickup Fender Jazz Bass, so Squire probably got little inspiration from him, but Schacher rocked the house first, probably by a year..

interesting. Squire was accused by his detractors of being a 'frustrated lead guitarist'

Another name to chuck into the equation is Lee Jackson. I don't know how carefully you listen to Yes - America but there is a short bit when Squire plays the bass riff from The Nice - America (well its actually Leonard Bernstein's if truth be told!) . I expect The Nice and Lee Jackson were some influence given that the early Yes shared the live billing with The Nice on a few occasions.
 Post Reply Post Reply