Topic ClosedHow Important are lyrics to you in Prog music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wheelspawn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:09
The instrumentals are the body of the song, the lyrics are the brain. Many good songs are bottle-necked by terrible lyrics which can make the song feel depressingly pointless. It's like watching a movie that has a incredible, moving soundtrack but has a nonsensical plot, terrible acting and horrible CGI. It's a waste of good music.
UncleBadTouch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:45
In some cases its really cool though. like Fish marillion years the lyrics are just flat out fantastic and poetic.
UncleBadTouch View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 00:44
lyrics are completely secondary for me personally. Each to his own. If i can understand what the singer is saying them odds are i'll pay a little attention. For example on Pink Floyd's animals i think i got the lyrical jist of it just by listening. 

But take another favorite band of mine, like Opeth, I can't understand sh*t he's saying so i have no idea what his albums are about.  

Thats just me though, lyrical understanding  doesn't really enhance my musical experience.

SO basically, not really
coffeeintheface View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 21:29
Lyrics in music aren't important to me at all, really, except insofar as I associate the words with the music.

At the same time, lyrics are important insofar as they effect the way vocal melodies are sung and performed. 

Edited by coffeeintheface - August 06 2014 at 21:31
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 23:18
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

For the music and groups I really love--I think the lyrics are part of the equation in the fact that I love them---but for all the rest---I can get by on less than perfect lyrics.

That sums it up nicely for how I feel.
Thumbs Up

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:33
I can enjoy a good lyric but overall they're not nearly as important to me.
Crimson_King View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 21:28
for EBIL0505:

Hey man, I LOVE your avatar and the image at the bottom of your posts......

Listen, maybe you can answer a question for me.......

Why were there NOT MORE Bruford Yes-songs ON "Yessongs"?

Seriously, if Atlantic were to give us "Perpetual Change", "Long Distance/Fish"........WHY NOT MORE with Bill?

Do you know the answer to this?

WAIT!  I just realized....the introduction of White-ness!  ha!

But WHY NOT in the re-mastered series, we DON'T get a "Yessongs" w/Bruford minus the "CTTE" tracks?

The late 1971- early1972 concerts were recorded, right?     Where are these tapes, dammit?

ha!

Well, what is your opinion of "The Word is Live"?.....is THAT what I'm looking for?   is it worth shelling out the big bucks for on E-bay, since that stupid thing is "out-of-print"?

Edited by Crimson_King - August 05 2014 at 21:30
"Naked we come, bruised we go...Nude pastry for the slow soft worms below" ---James D. Morrison; "Throw out yer gold teeth & see how they roll...the answer they reveal: Life is Unreal" ---Steely Dan
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:46
For the music and groups I really love--I think the lyrics are part of the equation in the fact that I love them---but for all the rest---I can get by on less than perfect lyrics.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 13:31
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

lyrics are like pepperoni on a pizza. They are extremely important... Unless you don't want a pepperoni pizza. If you want a pizza with mushrooms, sausage and peppers, then they are completely non essential. The entire pizza is ruined when the lyrics try to be the cheese.
With this comes enlightenment.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 13:12
Not that important at all, really. While I do appreciate a good set of lyrics (like the songs John Myung has written for Dream Theater), I still think the musical composition is more important.
Old_Wise_Owl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 12:40
Good lyrics can definitely enhance and add a dimension to a song, but is IMHO secondary to the music. That is, I can appreciate good music and strong songs, that have crappy lyrics. On the other hand I'm almost never interested in listening to songs that just have strong lyrics, but where the music is crappy..
Bérghem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 08:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Bérghem Bérghem wrote:

I can listen to a good music with (not too) stupid lyrics, but I definitely cannot listen to bad music with good lyrics. Having said that, god bless Sinfield for re-writing the lyrics for Photos of Ghosts...
Four holes in the ground: "well, well, well, well ... that's life" LOL

The Italian version is way better all around. They can flow their meanings and singing a lot better than try to make sure their accent in English is understood by us, which does not make it better.

The problem is that you need a meaning to flow your meanings and Appena un po' has no meaning, just rhymes... the topic is about lyrics, so I prefer the words Sinfield wrote. Should I prefer good lyrics and bad english or bad lyrics and good italian? It's a loose – loose situation Smile
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metŕ
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 07:12
I will chime in here and say that lyrics are not that important to me in my prog.  However, bad lyrics can ruin an album for me.  All I need is a good theme with average lyrics.  So as long as the lyrics are not silly and stand out, I am happy.  However, lyrics are important when I am in the mood to listen to singer songwriter stuff since that is the focus of the song.  Something catchy that I can sing along to is something I crave once in a while.

Edited by javajeff - August 04 2014 at 07:12
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:04
lyrics are like pepperoni on a pizza. They are extremely important... Unless you don't want a pepperoni pizza. If you want a pizza with mushrooms, sausage and peppers, then they are completely non essential. The entire pizza is ruined when the lyrics try to be the cheese.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:01
Some very interesting perspectives here, for sure!

For myself personally, lyrics are like the icing on the cake. This of course means that the cake has to be good in the first place; with no substance, it's just an overly-sweet, sugary mess Wink. In truth, it's really going to depend on the band/album.

Look at something like Trout Mask Replica; the lyrics here serve a very important purpose (IMHO) to those pieces as a whole. It's going to be highly subjective to each listener, though. You could argue it's the melody and delivery of the vocals themselves. If that's the case, you really could be saying just about anything, so long as it "wraps around and fits" the song accordingly. As someone who writes, my ears tend to gravitate towards and pay attention to what's being said - not just how it's being said.

With THAT being said, I'm a huge fan of Zappa-esque lyrical wackiness that may or may not have any deeper meaning at all LOL.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 02 2014 at 12:02
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:53
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I can listen to a good music with (not too) stupid lyrics, but I definitely cannot listen to bad music with good lyrics. Having said that, god bless Sinfield for re-writing the lyrics for Photos of Ghosts...

The Italian version is way better all around. They can flow their meanings and singing a lot better than try to make sure their accent in English is understood by us, which does not make it better.

Edited by moshkito - August 02 2014 at 10:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:51
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

When the words (french for me) are stupid, I tend to find the music stupid.

SAD ... because ANGE was one of the best and was much more with it and valuable than Genesis ever will for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 15:09
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I justed wanted to say that after going through the posts again that I'm shocked, shocked I say, that no one brought up Saint Peter or was it the angel Gabriel,oh I remember, Peter Gabriel and said anything about his lyrics and the relationship to music that he has produced over the years. I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate Evil Smile but Peter the Great  is one of progs greatest lyricists and I think that at least with him the lyrics are definately part of the expirence and are extremely important.

Look aback through again. I brought him up in relation to the question of obscurity in lyrics. His solo are reputedly less obscure and more direct, but I suggested they retained some of that obscurity. And yes, whatever we say about them I do believe they're good.
Indeed you did HF. Good post by the way.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I justed wanted to say that after going through the posts again that I'm shocked, shocked I say, that no one brought up Saint Peter or was it the angel Gabriel,oh I remember, Peter Gabriel and said anything about his lyrics and the relationship to music that he has produced over the years. I know I'm playing Devil's Advocate Evil Smile but Peter the Great  is one of progs greatest lyricists and I think that at least with him the lyrics are definately part of the expirence and are extremely important.

Look aback through again. I brought him up in relation to the question of obscurity in lyrics. His solo are reputedly less obscure and more direct, but I suggested they retained some of that obscurity. And yes, whatever we say about them I do believe they're good.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:29

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>