Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:46
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

LOL
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the only forum on the internet where I can find 10 new comments arguing about my diction.
I know that lyric - "Friction" by Tom Verlaine Approve
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 11:53
Another vote for Welcome to the Machine.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

LOL

I have a clumsy way with words Wink

Like most lyricists out there then. LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:28
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ That ... and this. Riding a high tide on two threads at the same time, Dr.

It simply amazes me how people who claim to be educated can ignore the lyrics but yet still like to read  'novels' etc.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:35
I read books but never read the verse in a greetings card. I still like to receive them though.
What?
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ Well, that kind of pride doesn't make for a good presence in lyrics, so, ... there.

Really....?

Confused

"That's all about words and language", witty remarks, "clever remarks and intellectualization" ... all vague notions. How do you incorporate any of it in a song, do you know? Here, on this forum, people more or less improvise with speech (err ... writing). But songwriting is truly something special and needs a lot of attention. There are high standards and rules of thumb. Our everyday speech/writing has a different set of those. And songwriting is clearly not just about words and language. The author of the song has to breath life into the words and sweeten the whole thing with ... music!

Have you noted the style in which Iain writes his posts here? Sounds like he prepares himself for a Peter Hammill's "The Sleepwalkers" -style poetry slam. Tongue Go ahead and try to put anything Iain says in a song.

Don't just put two vague notions like "wit" and "song" together and think that it's going to turn out alright. It's easy to say something brainy; it's much harder to write a valuable song. I see that a lot of us have high standards when listening to/reading someone's words.

I get what you are saying but that wasn't really my point.
I just think it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA , seem to care less about song lyrics.
Maybe it's just me.....Confused
Then maybe I'm not reading your posts right. What connection are you implying between "those who are intelligent" and "paying attention to lyrics"?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:00
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

In my case, it is simply that I don't want to find a reason to dislike the music that doesn't have anything directly to do with the music.  If they make poor album covers, it's fine.  If they write mediocre lyrics, it's fine.

And the lyrics don't have anything directly to do with the music, as in they're part of the songwriting and composition?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:44
^^Time for the guy that belittles prog lyrics to actually defend them for what they once were. At one time prog lyrics were very much a part of the listening experience if even on a near subliminal level. The obvious great lyricist was Roger Waters with his over the top theatrics (it would be nearly impossible to not understand his points) but he truly came into his own on Wish You Were Here. WYWH is an album about absence and even Waters stripped down use of lyrics to add to the feeling of absence and abandonment did little to detract from their meaning contrasted with over long verbiage from albums like The Wall. Alas, Waters is mute. KC's In The Wake Of Poseidon lamented the destruction of the earth from pollution 45 years before global warming become a common phrase in pop culture. And then there's Neil Peart who summary tale of teenage isolation in the song Subdivisions related to more isolated high school kids than any song that I know of and actually turned them on to Rush, more than any other song that I know of. Than we come to "all is bliss' ramblings' of Yes whose dippy verse from Roundabout perfectly fit around Squire's circular and returning bass riff so that even if the meaning of the lyrics were lost on people, they were a memorable fit. And what other song has two ands in both its title and it's lyrics such as Yes' And You And I. Even if the lyrics were not up to snuff they were at least extremely unique and memorable. These are only a few of the types of lyrics that are sorely lacking in modern prog music, I could go but the exercise would be redundant. I doubt that you will find any information in regard to this in PAs thread on songwriting or people would be smart enough to write lyrics like the ones mentioned. (And you can't put common sense down on paper sometimes)

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2014 at 16:55
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 14:52

It simply amazes me how people who claim to be educated can ignore the lyrics but yet still like to read  'novels' etc.

Wink

It's two different art forms, litterature and music. It's very rare for them to blend into a whole and it cerainly doesn't do so in prog, most of the time. Some singer/songwriters do get it right though, like Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Nick Drake and probably Leonard Cohen, although I've never understood what he's on about. LOL
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:13
It depends. When I hear Jon singing

Suns | High | Streams | Through
Awaken gentle mass touch

I don’t have a clue about what it means. Or rather, I understand that it’s some kind of spiritual enlightenment, and luckily the music says the same in a far more intelligible way. And Anderson’s gibberish is pleasant to my ears.

But when I hear Hammill, starting with only his voice and Jackson’s flute, singing

Existence is a stage on which we pass,
a sleepwalk trick for mind and heart

I instantly prick up my ears, and the lyrics are much more important to me.

Some songs with great lyrics are unlistenable to me, partly because I’ve heard them too many times, and partly because the music bores me. Dylan and Cohen spring to mind. And the opposite: Ballad of Big may have nice music, but the lyrics are so stupid that they make me cringe.
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 17:44

^ Well, that kind of pride doesn't make for a good presence in lyrics, so, ... there.

Really....?

Confused

"That's all about words and language", witty remarks, "clever remarks and intellectualization" ... all vague notions. How do you incorporate any of it in a song, do you know? Here, on this forum, people more or less improvise with speech (err ... writing). But songwriting is truly something special and needs a lot of attention. There are high standards and rules of thumb. Our everyday speech/writing has a different set of those. And songwriting is clearly not just about words and language. The author of the song has to breath life into the words and sweeten the whole thing with ... music!

Have you noted the style in which Iain writes his posts here? Sounds like he prepares himself for a Peter Hammill's "The Sleepwalkers" -style poetry slam. Tongue Go ahead and try to put anything Iain says in a song.

Don't just put two vague notions like "wit" and "song" together and think that it's going to turn out alright. It's easy to say something brainy; it's much harder to write a valuable song. I see that a lot of us have high standards when listening to/reading someone's words.

I just think it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA , seem to care less about song lyrics.
Then maybe I'm not reading your posts right. What connection are you implying between "those who are intelligent" and "paying attention to lyrics"?

I can't make it any clearer than what I 've already said several times. This ain't rocket science. From above:
" it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA , seem to care less about song lyrics."

This is getting way over analyzed which seems to happen frequently on PA....LOL

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Wink

It's two different art forms, litterature and music. It's very rare for them to blend into a whole and it cerainly doesn't do so in prog, most of the time. Some singer/songwriters do get it right though, like Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Nick Drake and probably Leonard Cohen, although I've never understood what he's on about. LOL
The music itself is a different 'art form' but the lyrics are words after all and fall under poetry, prose,   etc which of course is what literature is....words that tell a story or have a point.
As an example Sinfield's lyrics had definite meaning and purpose with Crimson and his website will go into all of that of you care to read it...or just read his lyrics yourself.

Again I find the lyrics in many cases to be very interesting depending on who's writing them. I certainly agree that many are just there to provide a listening experience with the music but I'm willing to be that many lyricists in prog bands are not just making sh*te up but have a reason why they are saying what they are in a certain song.
Ergo I would like to know what that is. Perhaps those that don't care about lyrics in general  might be better served with instrumental prog.

Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 17:57
Most of the time lyrics are not important to me, but on some occasions they are. BTW, we had a similar thread, didn't we? I don't like lyrics in which vocalists forget that their vocal apparatus is supposed to be an instrument and that they are supposed to be creating notes that fit the piece like everyone else in the band. I really like The Battle of Epping Forest for the lyrics, but I have to be in the right mood. I am always intently listening to the lyrics on the Lamb. A really good lyricist is Glyn Havard from Jade Warrior.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:00

Really....?

Confused

I can't make it any clearer than what I 've already said several times. This ain't rocket science. From above:
" it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA , seem to care less about song lyrics."

I agree with you Doc. I've always felt that prog was for the more literary, at least when I was younger. Not in form or tone but in subject. The two are related in only that way. It doesn't take a rocket  scientist, as you said, to know that the lyrics do not have be literary in form or tone, but just complex enough to tell the story.

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2014 at 18:04
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:06
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Most of the time lyrics are not important to me, but on some occasions they are. BTW, we had a similar thread, didn't we? I don't like lyrics in which vocalists forget that their vocal apparatus is supposed to be an instrument and that they are supposed to be creating notes that fit the piece like everyone else in the band. I really like The Battle of Epping Forest for the lyrics, but I have to be in the right mood. I am always intently listening to the lyrics on the Lamb. A really good lyricist is Glyn Havard from Jade Warrior.
You see HF, this is the type of thing that I'm on about. We don't care about lyrics that much (me included) but could we image the lamb written by Jon Anderson?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:08

Wink
I agree with Tony Banks' and Mike Rutherford's criticism of their own lyric in Watcher of the Skies. It looks great reading it on paper, but kind of awkward in the actual song.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:17
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Wink
I agree with Tony Banks' and Mike Rutherford's criticism of their own lyric in Watcher of the Skies. It looks great reading it on paper, but kind of awkward in the actual song.

I  think  they are fine...I love sci-fi, myth,  etc , and they work for me.  I can't imagine not hearing that song now with other lyrics or with none.
Haquin
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:19
I agree other Doc....I think Tony and Mike's lyrics to Watcher were great and Peter does a great job singing them, because that couldn't have been an easy set to sing.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:26
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I agree other Doc....I think Tony and Mike's lyrics to Watcher were great and Peter does a great job singing them, because that couldn't have been an easy set to sing.  
I'll third that. Great lyrics and great delivery from Gabriel. What could have Banks and Rutherford been talking about? Perhaps from an inferior vocalist it would not have worked.

Edited by SteveG - July 24 2014 at 18:30
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 18:35

I can't make it any clearer than what I've already said several times. This ain't rocket science. From above:
"it's odd that those who like reading, books, current events, etc, which are probably most of the people on PA, seem to care less about song lyrics."

I agree, it's not rocket science, but you have to recognize the fact that I interpreted your statement the way it seemed transparent to me. It means that the connection you see between "the intellectual presence here on PA forum" and "lyric-writing mastery" isn't that transparent to me. I'd like to see it; maybe then I can see certain things in a new light.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>