Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForum members from INDIA....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum members from INDIA....
    Posted: July 23 2014 at 13:05
Hi! Calling all forum members on Progarchives.com who are of indian origin/anybody who resides in India...and kindly mention ur city too..
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 13:11
I live in Chandigarh, INDIA
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 13:17
Just curious to know how many indians/indians living abroad/indian residents we have here at Progarchives.com.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 13:56
I've been twice to India, the first time was a six month trip with a buddy of mine, I swore I would go back sometime again and I did with my wife. Goa was the perfect place for a marriage proposal.

I can't remember all the places I've been but Chandigarh rings a heavy bell, I think I was passing through and maybe spent the night, while riding my bike from Dharamsala to Delhi.
It's by far the most charming exciting and interesting place I've been to
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 14:07
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I've been twice to India, the first time was a six month trip with a buddy of mine, I swore I would go back sometime again and I did with my wife. Goa was the perfect place for a marriage proposal.

I can't remember all the places I've been but Chandigarh rings a heavy bell, I think I was passing through and maybe spent the night, while riding my bike from Dharamsala to Delhi.
It's by far the most charming exciting and interesting place I've been to

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 13:19
Waiting for my fellow Indians and Indian residents......
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 16:22
Myself and a few of my friends are planning a trip to India next year for about a month or so, so I may have some questions for you!

Also, massive respect for your classical music. Imrat Khan is one of my favourite musicians of all time.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Also, massive respect for your classical music. Imrat Khan is one of my favourite musicians of all time.

Thanks
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 10:23

Myself and a few of my friends are planning a trip to India next year for about a month or so, so I may have some questions for you!

Welcome Sir...glad if i cud b helpful in anyway
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2014 at 15:41
Haha no worries! I'm fascinated by your country and its history. I have one question actually: what is the music "scene" actually like over there and how alive is its culture? Is the classical music easily accessible to anyone visiting? Is there a lot going on? Also where would you recommend visiting? I understand that India is a huge country with over a billion people, so some help narrowing my options down would be greatly appreciated!

Also, just out of curiosity, what's your first language?
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:31
I am from Mumbai.  Happy to have some company because there haven't been too many members from India as far as I know, at least not in the last four years or so.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 13:39

Haha no worries! I'm fascinated by your country and its history. I have one question actually: what is the music "scene" actually like over there and how alive is its culture? Is the classical music easily accessible to anyone visiting? Is there a lot going on? Also where would you recommend visiting? I understand that India is a huge country with over a billion people, so some help narrowing my options down would be greatly appreciated!Also, just out of curiosity, what's your first language?

We hav lots of rock/metal music fans.. Prog is quietly finding its feet among young crowd thanks to the likes of Porcupine Tree & Pink Floyd...
But then most of the country is swept by bollywood(hindi movies) music...
I myself hv never been into indian classical music really...but yes..the culture is still alive though not of yesteryear's prominence..u can find music in gud music stores lyk Planet M..
Places-
Shimla- The queen of hill-stations
Manali- Rohtang Pass & Marijuana
Goa-exotic beaches
New Delhi- hundreds of historical places
Agra-Taj Mahal
Amritsar-Golden Temple
Ur one month is already scheduled...
Yes...punjabi is my mother tongue..
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:37
Wouldn't recommend Planet M as most of its stores have been shut down.  idk, at least in Mumbai, there are hardly any music stores left.  The Lower Parel Landmark outlet had a fantastic collection where I picked up both Hatfield and the North albums ! (apart from a lot of other such 70s prog).  But after it shut down for 'renovation', it never reopened.  Rhythm House is the only place left and I feel its collection is better for jazz as well as Western and Indian classical.  Besides, flipkart is a much better 'place' to shop for music. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:41
In classical music, the legendary Ustads and Pandits like Shivkumar Sharma or Zakir Hussain still draw huge crowds.  I had gone to watch Shakti's Navi Mumbai concert (I know THAT's not classical, strictly speaking) a couple of years back and was surprised to see not only the crowds but the enthusiasm for their music.   But I don't know to what extent people are interested in younger musicians.  This is a trend cutting across genres.  If it's a well established name with a big fan following, tickets are expensive and hard to get.  But there's not much interest in performances of small and upcoming bands.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 09:42
Ok...lets revive this thread and see...
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 13:32
I've spent years tramping around India; I've taken two "gap year" trips and one that was more like 18 months with side trips to Afghanistan and Pakistan. 
A Punjabi wallah, eh?  One thing you notice immediately in India is how Punjabis stand out.....they're tall, strong, proud, and immaculately neat.  Many Punjabis in the military.....and drivers of those long distance buses that skirt around some of the highest, most dangerous mountain passes in the world.  When I see a Punjabi behind the wheel of a bus when I'm a passenger, I have no worries about my safety.  Now, a Bengali behind the wheel scares the "tati" out of me.

And....I've been to Chandigarh!  It's a cool enough place that, unlike most Indian cities, has a very organized city grid complete with actual addresses!  And, it's the gateway to the most lovely area on the planet - the Himalayas.  I bought a house in Palampur where I plan to retire.....the only problem is the caretaker of the house is a drunk who doesn't really take care!  Raj - if you're out there reading - shape up, man! 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply