Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe 70s prog scene's attitude to early metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: the 70s prog scene's attitude to early metal
    Posted: July 23 2014 at 14:10
This is something I'd like to have cleared up, after having brought it up in my threads about Budgie and Uriah Heep. Even though many early heavy metal groups had one foot in progressive rock, if contemporary interviews and reviews in Denmark and Sweden are any indication a lot of people in the prog-rock movement here looked down upon those bands as an dumbed down meathead version of the style. According to publications cited in Jens Rasmussen's book about Danish heavy metal history that's yet to be translated into other languages, the early-1970s prog rock scene's musicians + fanzine writers + champions among the music press would disparage most early heavy metal groups (with the notable exception of Deep Purple) for their less advanced instrumental interplay and less clear sense of unified philosophical concept behind their music.

What I'm curious to know is whether it was like that outside of Scandinavia. Rick Wakeman playing synthesizers for Black Sabbath gives me the impression it might not, as did Frank Zappa producing one Grand Funk Railroad LP. Then again, they might have been exceptions.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 14:27
As an American that worked for several metal bands in the seventies and early eighties there was not much 'cross breeding' between the two genres as the fan bases basically were the ones that kept them separate at the time. Unlike today where metal and prog acts mix it up at The High Voltage Festival or something similar. I believe the deal with Zappa and Grand Funk was one more of compassion after the mistreatment of GFR by their management and to hopefully help break them out of the pop mold that they put themselves in. Unfortunately, the the well produced 1976 album by Zappa titled Good Singin', Good Playin' was more of the same and went nowhere.

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 15:07
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 17:18
I remember in the 70s, the proggers and the metalers would point fingers at each other, with a kind of "Why you moron?" attitude. No kidding. I am generalising, of course, but I remember the mental warfare.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 17:37
Strange, I don't recall anyone refering to "metal" during the 70s. Hard rock, but not Metal.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Strange, I don't recall anyone refering to "metal" during the 70s. Hard rock, but not Metal.

Too bad this is not a metal site Silver, we could have a debate thread. In the States, 'heavy metal' and 'hard rock' were interchangeable in the early 70's with the phrase "heavy metal' originating from the song Born To Be Wild by Steppenwolf.  After a while, the phrase was shortened to 'metal'. I recall that the Brits, particularly, Led Zep, objected to the phrase 'metal' and the UK music press followed suite. I'm talking about magazines like the NME, so perhaps that's why you recall the genre as refered to as 'hard rock' in the 70's as you live in Europe.

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 18:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

This. Kinda. 

[To be fair: Rasmussen's book is entitled "Heavy Metal - 40 år med hård rock"] (40 years of hard rock)

In England we called it Heavy Rock or Heavy Music. The term Heavy Metal existed, but it was not a genre or even a style of music. Speculation of where the term originated is simply that - speculation, originally the term 'heavy metal' referred metal elements such as lead and cadmium and 'heavy' (as in the Ironing Buddafly album) was a slang term for deep and profound. It seems that for many years it was a snappy phrase in desperate search of a suitable application.

In 1974 Atlantic records released a compilation album called "Superstars of the 70s - Volume 2 - Heavy Metal" which would seem to put the lid on the question of whether Metal existed in 70s for good. The only problem with it is the track listing:

A1 MC5 Kick Out The Jams
A2 Black Sabbath Iron Man
A3 Alice Cooper I'm Eighteen
A4 Jimi Hendrix Freedom
A5 The James Gang Must Be Love
A6 Deep Purple Smoke On The Water
B1 T. Rex Bang A Gong (Get It On)
B2 The J. Geils Band Give It To Me
B3 Dr. John Right Place Wrong Time
B4 Led Zeppelin D'yer Mak'er
B5 Buffalo Springfield Bluebird
B6 Faces Cindy Incidentally
C1 The Doors   Touch Me
C2 The Allman Brothers Band Ramblin' Man
C3 Delaney & Bonnie Only You And I Know
C4 Van Morrison Domino
C5 Eagles Outlaw
C6 a) Yes Starship Trooper:  Life Seeker
C6 b) Yes Starship Trooper:  Disillusion
C6 c) Yes Starship Trooper:  Wurm
D1 Golden Earring Radar Love
D2 Grateful Dead Johnny B. Goode
D3 Foghat What A Shame
D4 Uriah Heep Stealin'
D5 War Lonely  Feelin'
D6 Blues Image Ride Captain Ride

*gulp* ... can everyone see what is wrong with this picture?

It seems that not only do we have disagreement on whether "Metal" bands of the 70s were known as Hard Rock or Heavy Rock, it appears that Atlantic Records were clueless about who or what Heavy Rock and/or Heavy Metal was. Or to put it another way - in 1974 Heavy Metal was everything:  Blues Rock, Glam Rock, Country Rock, Prog Rock, even Zed Leppelin's cod-reggae thing. 

Anyway, 

Back to topic

I don't recall seeing any particular bias in England during the 1970s. Modern retrospective reviewers will never get it right, nor will revisionist rock journalists.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:04
'^I'm only going by my  time in jolly ol' England in the 70's and not from  the perspective of a book. I' ll take my 'own take' on this one. Unless someone from the Commonwealth cares to take issue.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:12
^ I never said that you did, it was Simon who was referencing a book, not you.

But as someone from the 60s I do take issue with notion that the phrase "Heavy Metal" originated in Born To Be Wild  - Steppenwolf used the phrase but it clearly refers to the elemental weather, (lightning, thunder, wind), not music, they certainly didn't invent or originate the term. There is no provable association between Born To Be Wild and the subsequent naming of Heavy Metal as a genre many years later.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I never said that you did, it was Simon who was referencing a book, not you.

But as someone from the 60s I do take issue with notion that the phrase "Heavy Metal" originated in Born To Be Wild  - Steppenwolf used the phrase but it clearly refers to the elemental weather, (lightning, thunder, wind), not music, they certainly didn't invent or originate the term. There is no provable association between Born To Be Wild and the subsequent naming of Heavy Metal as a genre many years later.
I agree, more of a culture myth I think as the phrase first apeared in a 1968 article in Rolling Stone to be exact.

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 19:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:23
^Sorry  Dean, I'm not being curt, just busy with something. Even the RS article is up for debate as some people claim the term came from a NY  Times review of my idol Mr. Hendrix, so it's all a crap shoot. 

Edited by SteveG - July 23 2014 at 19:40
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:38
^ possibly, but it still didn't refer to a genre of music. The phrase goes back to the 19th century and referred to any metal that was heavier than iron. But linking that to Iron Butterfly and Led Zeppelin (or "Lead Balloon" as Keith Moon allegedly described them) would be tenuous. The phrase as applied to the music genre was just as likely to be simple word association following on from Heavy Music to Heavy Rock to Heavy Metal - you cannot make a similar word association derivation from Hard Rock. Since no one ever writes this stuff down the exact moment it happens everything is a guess. This is true of many other genres including Prog, Punk and Gothic Rock - no one knows precisely when and how they got named.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:43
^Agreed. But at sometime it did start to refer to guitar based heavy rock music in the seventies. I know. I was there. LOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:44
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I remember in the 70s, the proggers and the metalers would point fingers at each other, with a kind of "Why you moron?" attitude. No kidding. I am generalising, of course, but I remember the mental warfare.
It's true.
Personally, I always have beeen loved Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep and BOC, but  KIss, Ted Nugent (except  his Stanglehold the track which is a fantastic) and  AC/DC- I used to hate these bands.

Edited by Svetonio - July 24 2014 at 06:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:46
Anyway,  good night to all and thanks for the conversation. Smile
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 19:54
I heard somewhere that the first band to be called "heavy metal" in print was a band called Sir Lord Baltimore. Black Sabbath are imo the first true heavy metal band but they didn't embrace the term. Judas Priest are possible the first band to embrace the term.

As for the prog connection to heavy metal. You can hear elements of metal in King Crimson, Uriah Heep and RUSH as well as Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple although none of those bands are what I would call straight heavy metal. They had elements of prog and heavy metal although even Black Sabbath had prog elements at times. King Crimson were actually referred to as "a snob's Black Sabbath" which I find to be rather amusing.   

Edited by Prog_Traveller - July 23 2014 at 19:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 20:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Agreed. But at sometime it did start to refer to guitar based heavy rock music in the seventies. I know. I was there. LOL 
Sure thing - (and I was there too) - we could not have had a New Wave of British Heavy Metal from 1979 onwards unless there had been an Old Wave of [British] Heavy Metal prior to then. 

However, that 'Old Wave' probably consisted of bands like Motorhead, Diamond Head, Ironing Maiden and Saxon (all formed between '75 & '76) who would become the main-stays of the New Wave rather than the Heavy Rock stalwarts of Sabbath, Purple and Zeppelin who frequently get touted as the original British 'Metal' bands. The anomaly is Priest, but they formed in 1969 as a blues band then moved to Heavy Rock in the mid-70s before being adopted into the NWOBHM scene in the 80s. Budgie fit in there somewhere but I've never really considered them to be a metal or even proto-metal band (or a Prog Related band come to that).
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2014 at 21:54
Anyway, as interesting as this is it's all distracting from the OP.

As someone who was an avid music fan in the 70s and a follower of both Progressive Rock and Heavy Rock as I said I don't recall there being any particular bias in the British rock press (or among artists) in favour of Prog and against Heavy Rock. Sure there was a degree of delineation in fan-base between the two but it wasn't that prevalent compared to the negativity towards other more commercial or mainstream genres. If there was a split it would be between Blues-based rock and Rock'n'Roll based rock and not in how complex or erudite the music was, though even then there would be exceptions like Groundhogs, SAHB and Budgie. Both Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal tend to drop on the Rock'n'Roll side of that divide - there ain't a lot of Blues in either of them. 

From what I remember (and from the contents of my own record collection) we were more eclectic than the stereotype image of the long-haired denim clad 70s youth would suggest. Back then the Underground and "serious" music scene were so broad and varied that most music fans would be receptive to a wide range of musical styles - the explosion in music and styles of music that occurred in that era was unparalleled - if you look at the line-up of the 1973 Reading Festival the diversity of music presented is staggering:
(£4.40 admission... it's a 100 times that now - thankfully the cost of buying albums hasn't gone up by that much)

Of course by the (very) late 70s that had all changed, and I don't doubt the animosity between music fans was as bad as Doug described it - the declining Prog fans were on the defensive by then and the upstart Metal heads were of the younger post-punk generation who thought a mullet looked cool. LOL

What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 03:14
I think the first band to classify their own music as "heavy metal" was either Blue Öyster Cult or Hawkwind, adding to the confusion, but not really as a genre classification until Judas Priest did so in the mid/late '70s when progressive rock was already declining in popularity.

So it seems like the rivalry between early metal and progressive rock, coming most one-sidedly from the prog circles, was indeed mostly a Scandinavian thing. There was a clear divide between the heavier and less technically proficient prog/psych groups like The Old Man and the Sea on one hand, and the music theory fiends like Secret Oyster on the other. The former ended up sharing more fans (and opening slots on tours) with Sabbath, Hawkwind, Zeppelin etc. than with Pink Floyd, The Soft Machine etc.

Interestingly enough Mercyful Fate drummer Kim Ruzz started out in prog-rock or at least had his music background there, but jumped ship to metal because of the prog rock movement shriveling up in the late '70s.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 04:10
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think the first band to classify their own music as "heavy metal" was either Blue Öyster Cult or Hawkwind, adding to the confusion, (...)

I recall that even Jethro Tull was accepted by many hard rock fans back then as a hard rock band because they did do pretty heavy at the gigs. Not "heavy metal" though.

Edited by Svetonio - July 24 2014 at 04:11
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 04:14
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I think the first band to classify their own music as "heavy metal" was either Blue Öyster Cult or Hawkwind, adding to the confusion, (...)

I recall that even Jethro Tull was accepted by many hard rock fans back then as a hard rock band because they did do pretty heavy at the gigs. Not "heavy metal" though.
Much to the annoyance of Metallicacaca LOL (however "back then" was the late 80s not the 70s)
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>