Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe 70s prog scene's attitude to early metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:41

I ran by a short passage in Dave Thompson's 2004 book on  the history of DP titled Smoke On The Water: The Deep Purple Story where he mentions that some of the British music press (not identified) tried to place the nascent prog name on DP but as soon as the song Smoke On The Water went ballistic world wide, the band was quickly shuffled back into the 'hard rock' category. (The author's words). However, the search for a connection continues.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 11:28
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:06
Whatever, prog rock even looked down upon itself for a little while, I love prog, but I think it's safe to say that some of its icons weren't the nicest guys, dare are I say  they were, pretentious Shocked Metal thrived in the eighties, and I'm sure the guys in all the metal bands were having a good laugh at their success, and a good cry about what the giants of prog, who I assume allot of the metal musicians listened too, were doing in that time period. At the heart of it, I think musicians have a mutual respect for one another.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 06:28
In my country (I'm talking now about our, local scene in ex-Yugoslavia), there had been a huge "disagreement" between proggers and metallers (the hardcore fans of heavy stuff) also in the second half of the seventies. I well remember when the bands like Pop Mašina (engl. "Pop Machine", already in PA) was replaced with the bands such Vatreni Poljubac (engl. "Kiss of Fire"). While both were heavy, the difference in the music and the image was drastic at that time.

(^ Vatreni Poljubac were the first real heavy metal band in ex-Yugoslavia)

Edited by Svetonio - August 01 2014 at 08:15
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:22
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Whatever, prog rock even looked down upon itself for a little while, I love prog, but I think it's safe to say that some of its icons weren't the nicest guys, dare are I say  they were, pretentious Shocked Metal thrived in the eighties, and I'm sure the guys in all the metal bands were having a good laugh at their success, and a good cry about what the giants of prog, who I assume allot of the metal musicians listened too, were doing in that time period. At the heart of it, I think musicians have a mutual respect for one another.
I agree that musicians had a mutual respect for each others playing abilities but as I stated metal acts were no great fans of prog lyrics.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 11:27
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 21:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Sounds like rewritten history or the opinion of the writer of the liner notes, but if the quote was from one of the band members At the time the album was released ( I presume it's a seventies album), it would have some credability.

Actually, you are right. I was just checking the liner notes again. It's from the "In Rock" reissue, it seems. It was written by some Simon Robinson in 1995. In one of his prog references he said (about the "black night" single): "It's perhaps a little hard now to appreciate the debate about singles which raged in the very early 70's amongst progressive rock bands. Many saw themselves as forming part of an underground movement which wanted no part of the commercial daytime radio scene, and releasing singles was seen as pandering to a medium they despised. Led Zeppelin were of course the arch example...". Also, in a quote from Ian Gillan, he compared Deep Purple with Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, and Black Sabbath, mainly saying that their own aproach was different to theirs... but still he must have felt there were important similarities between the bands to put them all together.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:20
^Indeed, as Jon Lord himself once remarked that DP were a hard rock band ' with one  foot dragging back in the Blues'. Again, a similar attitude to both Zeppelin and Sabbath, at the time.

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 12:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:27
Updating the Grand Funk and Zappa connection, Billy James' definitive 1999 bio book on GFR titled An American Band: The story of Grand Funk Railroad states that the GFR/Zappa connection was made by GFR's manager at the time with both GFR and Zappa having never met before then. The only loose end in this prog and metal story is Rick Wakeman's contribution to the song Sabbra Cadabra on BS's 1973 album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Does anyone know how that collaberation came about?

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 12:37
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:53

The only lose end in this prog and metal story is Rick Wakeman's contribution to the song Sabra Cadabra on BS's 1973 album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Does anyone know how that collaberation came about?

Yes were recording TFTO next door. Wakeman asked to be paid in beer. 
Magma America Great Make Again
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:57
^Sounds llke something the self deprecating Wakeman would do. Thanks.

Edited by SteveG - August 05 2014 at 10:59
rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:36
Festivals and concert bills had both Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Bands and Progressive Rock Bands sharing bills. Even Jazz Fusion/Jazz Rock would be on the bill along with other things in the mix. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by rocknrollcola rocknrollcola wrote:

Festivals and concert bills had both Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Bands and Progressive Rock Bands sharing bills. Even Jazz Fusion/Jazz Rock would be on the bill along with other things in the mix. 
I believe that was before bands like Tull actually went full blown prog and started identifying with the Progressive Rock genre, as they were a blues rock band in the late 60's.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:50

I believe that was before bands like Tull actually went full blown prog and started identifying with the Progressive Rock genre, as they were a blues rock band in the late 60's.
I don't know about the rest of the world but the most successful festivals in the UK have been those with an eclectic mix of genres, from the 60s through to the present day both Reading and Glastonbury have had extremely diverse lineups. While featuring mainly Prog, Blues and Rock in the 1970s, Reading was officially known as the National Jazz, Blues and Rock FestivalEven one-day events such as Knebworth would have wide mix of genres on the same bill through-out the 70s.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:13
^ I forgot all about the open air festivals as I only did sound work in music hall venues. How many open air festivals did the UK have in the seventies aside from The Isle Of Wight and the two you noted?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:25

^ I forgot all about the open air festivals as I only did sound work in music hall venues. How many open air festivals did the UK have in the seventies aside from The Isle Of Wight and the two you noted?
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:54
^Funny,  there seems to be about 15-16 in 1970. Then 10 in 1971,  8 in 1972,  then down to 5 by  1979. The festivals seem to have drifted out with the counter culture.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the world but the most successful festivals in the UK have been those with an eclectic mix of genres, from the 60s through to the present day both Reading and Glastonbury have had extremely diverse lineups. While featuring mainly Prog, Blues and Rock in the 1970s, Reading was officially known as the National Jazz, Blues and Rock FestivalEven one-day events such as Knebworth would have wide mix of genres on the same bill through-out the 70s.
To answer your question Dean as I doubt anyone else will, the States still had big open air concerts after the 1969 Altamont debacle but they were mostly genre specific and seperated. There were exceptions with Pink Floyd and especially Yes headlining some events, but that represents the divide between the States and the UK. UK radio stations and concert promoters were not disturbed by mixing genres and as a consequence, neither were it's audiences. Just another thing that divided America and the UK in the seventies, aside from a common language.

Edited by SteveG - August 07 2014 at 09:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345