Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 14:37
PoiL - Brossaklitt

Bonkers and fantastic

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 13:11
^I can't watch JooToob clips for some reason, but I'd been meaning to check them out. I'm mentally prepared for a wild ride.

I just bought the new Camera album. very interesting to say the least. This is a German band with quite an old school Krautrock sound to them. They're known for playing strange avenues like public toilets and other places you wouldn't normally associate with a rock gig.
What a gorgeous cover art eh? I want to live in those colours!
How cool would it be visiting Germany and suddenly while peacefully holding your willy at some random public toilet, this tune suddenly blasts from outside of your booth:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 21:58
My list has changed a bit:

Was:
Ut Gret - Ancestors’ Tale

Agora - Ichinen

Humana Prog - Fiori Frutti Farfalle

Aalto - Ikaro

Kant Freud Kafka - No tengas miedo 

Factor Burzaco - 3

Now (100 new albums from 2014 later):

Syd Arthur Sound Mirrors

Kant Freud Kafka No tengas miedo

Seven Impale City of the Sun

Pingvinorkestern Push

Electric Orange Volume 10

Humana Prog Fiori, frutti, farfalle

Aalto Ikaro

Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale

Phi Now The Waves of Sound Remain

Homínido Estirpe Lítica

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 04:20
Oh my wordShocked

I just perused through some of the 2014 releases that I've been interested in and look what I found!
I don't know if any of you guys know of Guillaume Perret & His Electric Epic but they made an official, live no less, promo vid for their newest release called Open Me, and it is absolutely breathtaking! 
Any folks out there with doubts in the new generation of prog musicians: look no further. This clip is fantastic and should quite elegantly put to shame all those notions about 'modern prog musicians can't play worth a damn - they've got computers for that!!'Ermm
Yeah right

I am most definitely getting this albumBig smile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 04:27
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Was:

Agora - Ichinen

Aalto - Ikaro

Factor Burzaco - 3

Syd Arthur Sound Mirrors

Pingvinorkestern Push

Aalto Ikaro

Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale

Homínido Estirpe Lítica

Clap
Very nice albums those two. The Syd Arthur one keeps winning me over with every new spin. I'm not sure the prog crowd is used to such 'coherence' in the song-writing department though, which is why many probably write them off as another psych Indie group, which i don't agree with at all. 
Volume 10 though is such a monster that I have to prepare mentally before diving in....but man when I do, it's like tumbling down a weird Indian dream with those hypnotising psychedelic tribal forces. I might change my rating to a 5 at some point, but this is one of those instances where I know it'll take years before I really unravel all there is to it.  

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 04:57
Dave the Guillaume Perret has arrived a few days ago and I've been listening to it quite a lot, very good stuff!!

Man what an amazing player that guy is! very innovative and unique.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 04:59
Oh so you already got it!! You sneaky man. 

I just listened to that clip earlier and it was the first that I've heard of the new album. Great stuff and went straight to the top of my 'need' listApprove

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:03
The whole album is streaming but I got my copy before I knew that...Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:06
WowShocked
I just found this baby on Jootoob - professionally recorded and allBig smile:

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:24

Was:

Agora - Ichinen

Aalto - Ikaro

Factor Burzaco - 3

Syd Arthur Sound Mirrors

Pingvinorkestern Push

Aalto Ikaro

Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale

Homínido Estirpe Lítica

We seem to have similar tastesSmile. However, Ut Gret still leads my Best of 2014 list. That album made my jaw drop to the floor right from the first listen - which is quite rare in my case. Kudos for mentioning Seven Impale's excellent debut, Aalto's very intriguing Ikaro, Pingvinkorkesteri (who amply deserve to be added to the DB), and Factor Burzaco. I will post my own list when I have a bit more time.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 05:51
Internet's been very slow for most of this year, so I haven't heard much new stuff. Here's my favourites anyway:

8/10:
Iamthemorning - Belighted
IQ - The Road Of Bones

7/10:
Gazpacho - Demon
Peter Hammill - Other World
(Iamthemorning - Miscellany EP)
A Silver Mt Zion - F*ck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything
Swans - To Be Kind
Transatlantic - Kaleidoscope 

Dying to hear albums like Corvus Stone II, Pale Communion, L'enigma, Chain Reaction, Walking On A Flashlight Beam in full. Are there any from these that you guys think I'll like?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 06:06
^ Only heard L' enigma from those and this album is amazing Wink
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Shocked I lieked that track.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 12:20
Seems a problem I'm having has a lot to do with vocals and lyrics. I enjoy the arrangements on Syd Arthur and Poil, but the vocalists (and their lyrics), whether technically skilled or not, don't have as strong an identity as the rest of the band. They just feel like they were thrown on top, and, as a result, I find it hard to connect with on a deeper level than surface enjoyment. It feels like they have tight arrangements and whatnot, but I feel the same about a lot of pop music. I've connected with a few things, but, for the most part, I feel like an outsider when listening to modern prog. Either I feel out of place in it, or it feels out of place to me. I respect what I've heard this year, but, thus far, only two prog albums have really made any kind of an impact on me. Still haven't bought a few that I'm interested in (saving a bit of money for an amp right now), so I'm holding out some hope for those.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 20:24
Yes, I've noticed that before, Ms. Berry, that our tastes are similar. I think you have a much broader and historically deep palette but I always go right to the new releases that you review. Sorry that you've been feeling down and burnt out lately. I went through that last year. Look forward to seeing your 2014 list.

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Was:

Agora - Ichinen

Aalto - Ikaro

Factor Burzaco - 3

Syd Arthur Sound Mirrors

Pingvinorkestern Push

Aalto Ikaro

Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale

Homínido Estirpe Lítica

We seem to have similar tastesSmile. However, Ut Gret still leads my Best of 2014 list. That album made my jaw drop to the floor right from the first listen - which is quite rare in my case. Kudos for mentioning Seven Impale's excellent debut, Aalto's very intriguing Ikaro, Pingvinkorkesteri (who amply deserve to be added to the DB), and Factor Burzaco. I will post my own list when I have a bit more time.
Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 20:31
Couldn't agree more RE Electric Orange--an 80 minute trip every time I open the door. 

I must add that each of these unusual albums (on my current list) do the same, i.e. suck me in for the 'whole album' ride. I'm surprised each time Ichinen, Ikaro, Push, No tengas miedo, Ancestor's Tale, City of the Sun, Fiori, frutti, farfalle, Sound Mirrors, or Estirpe Litica gets to the end and I've loved every minute of them!

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Was:

Agora - Ichinen

Aalto - Ikaro

Factor Burzaco - 3

Syd Arthur Sound Mirrors

Pingvinorkestern Push

Aalto Ikaro

Ut Gret Ancestor's Tale

Homínido Estirpe Lítica

Clap
Very nice albums those two. The Syd Arthur one keeps winning me over with every new spin. I'm not sure the prog crowd is used to such 'coherence' in the song-writing department though, which is why many probably write them off as another psych Indie group, which i don't agree with at all. 
Volume 10 though is such a monster that I have to prepare mentally before diving in....but man when I do, it's like tumbling down a weird Indian dream with those hypnotising psychedelic tribal forces. I might change my rating to a 5 at some point, but this is one of those instances where I know it'll take years before I really unravel all there is to it.  
Drew Fisher
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 02:08
Hmmm... haven't gotten much new prog the past few years. Moving back in, after a period of focus on classic rock and blues it was a year of rediscovering the old so far. Of the 2014 materials, I enjoy Corvus Stone and I am trying to get my head around Opeth and IQ, but they need a lot more spinning time.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 08:16
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Seems a problem I'm having has a lot to do with vocals and lyrics. I enjoy the arrangements on Syd Arthur and Poil, but the vocalists (and their lyrics), whether technically skilled or not, don't have as strong an identity as the rest of the band. They just feel like they were thrown on top, and, as a result, I find it hard to connect with on a deeper level than surface enjoyment. It feels like they have tight arrangements and whatnot, but I feel the same about a lot of pop music. I've connected with a few things, but, for the most part, I feel like an outsider when listening to modern prog. Either I feel out of place in it, or it feels out of place to me. I respect what I've heard this year, but, thus far, only two prog albums have really made any kind of an impact on me. Still haven't bought a few that I'm interested in (saving a bit of money for an amp right now), so I'm holding out some hope for those.

Funny how we hear things differently. For me the vocals are the main attraction with Syd Arthur - the fact that they sound completely unique and contemporary and faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar removed from what you normally encounter in most modern prog (the Latimer effect as I call it). I also happen to think it's those vocals that carry the music. If I only listened to the vocals together with the guitar work I could very easily be lead into thinking I was listening to a modern singer-song writer album. 

Btw if you're more into a darker voice a la Michael Gira then I'd imagine Wovenhand's newest should do the trick. 

Oh and cool you dig that Camera track. Based purely on that, I'd recommend the whole album in a heartbeat. It's not all the same, but the core 'feel' is present in the clip. It's motorik-driven synthesiser rich Krautrock with loads of hummable hooks and quite the melodic groove orientation. It sounds very contemporary though, which I find a little odd seeing as they seem to rely so heavily on the past. Gotta be a secret trick. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 30 2014 at 08:24

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 08:35
Syd Arthur won me over with their live set (opening for Yes), but I've had a harder time with their albums.  It has nothing to do with the performances or the compositions, either.  It's just a weird feeling I get from the way they mix the vocals, I'm not sure how to explain it..  It's weird, but it's distracting enough that I have had a hard time enjoying the albums because of it.  Sucks because I love the band otherwise.  I get a similar feeling from ELO's 2nd thru 4th albums.  Give me time, I guess, I dunno, maybe I'm just nutso.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 30 2014 at 08:37
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2014 at 09:03
You're nutso....in a good way. You're just not invited to my birthday party, if you don't like the vocals in Syd Arthur. Simple really, and I told my mom (something).

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>