Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

Well this is a question that largely depends on what the individual has discovered and how that album has affected them. Music hits people in different ways, which is why "Monty's" are kinda prematurely given, but to answer your interesting question of course, me personally I really take my time and wait till the end of the year to post my results. Anyway I felt 5 albums were definitely very worthy of the 5 star rating not only to PA's rules and conditions for rating albums, but for my personal taste and enjoyment. I know that may seem like a lot to some, but 2014 has/had some great releases.

1) IQ--Road of Bones ( very very well deserved. The melodies and overall composition is so beautiful to mix in with a very dark subject matter. Great album production as well.
2) Devin Townsend-- Z2 (sky blue, Dark Matters, Darker Matters) 3 cd set. (This one massively deserves the famed 5 . When we talk about innovation that is quirky, imaginative, heavy, epic and funny! None are better than mr. Townsend. Z2 slays Z1.
3) Vanden Plas--Chronicles of the netherworld pt1: Best concept album of the year for me. Story is tight and the music is utterly fantastic. Not only that, vanden Plas took a different direction in their overall sound by letting the keyboards of Gunter Wërno lead the band instead of the guitar taking a more dominate presence in the mix.
4) ELOY-- Reincarnation live on stage ( one of the best live albums I've heard in quite a while actually. Brilliant sound quality and well thought out set list that would have any Eloy fan drooling. )
5) Tim Bowness-- Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. ( the level of emotion and feeling in this album is at an unbelievable high. Definitely the most engaging album I have listen to this year. It's a very sweet album and I think a 10 year hiatus from bowness from his solo career was worth the wait with this album. ;)

Honorable mentions....

Hibernal--Replacements ( my personal taste I'd give it 5 stars, but to the PA's rating system it would probably bracket a 4, especially with most prolific reviewers on here; however it does meet my criteria of a masterpiece. It's a sci fi beauty that invokes wonderful reminders of the movie Bladerunner. Beautiful, epic guitar as well.
I guess that is a generous 6 then.

6 for me. :)

How about you, Dave?
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

lol Guldbamsen LOL  now topped my favorite Grumpy Dean to the top of the list GuldbamsenBig smile I see no wrong in ones true opinion and the feeling they felt by listening to an album and due to that most wonderful euphoric feeling/listening experience giving it 5 stars ApproveThumbs UpHug

I didn't either when I first started visiting this site, but there are some reviewers out there who spread the 5 star rating like it's going out of fashion. When they then come across something that genuinely bowls them over, they've run out of stars. I've spoken to quite a few who've admitted to rating an album with 5 stars, yet with tracks on the album they didn't likeConfused 
I don't think one should compare new releases to the classics (not always at least), but there are some who would do themselves good in, occasionally doing so - ie "Is this album really in the same class as Foxtrot, Close to the Edge, Yeti, Romantic Warrior, Alpha Centauri, Birds of Fire, Misplaced Childhood?" If not, then it's probably (just) a fantastic 4 star effort. 
There is, however, nothing wrong in awarding an album with 5 stars. The thing is: does it continue to be a masterpiece? How many of these are worthy of this praise in the long run? Again, this is of course down to my own interpretation of the word 'masterpiece'. I feel it needs to be something special - and not 'special' in the "wow, there's some really nice guitar in there" - but more in the manner of "holy potato!!!!!! Now I believe in flying elephants and interstellar mating rituals". A masterpiece should be reserved for those rare glimpses one gets of infinity and beyond - the true soul orgasms.....IMO of courseWink
The current 5 star attitude, or the most commonly used, de-valuates the purpose of the ultimate rati
the old classics have paid their dues this is true, they have a history behind them, however I disagree here with you because this is not about prior band album releases, Old or new bands should be judged by merit it's not their fault that Progarchives didn't exist in the 70's or 80's thus members that do join the site most of them came because of a love towards a band MEMBER. I honestly think any band new or not should be able to have scores 5/5 if this happens to be, after all who are we to deny them this? Especially if the new bands generate much more traffic thus also through this site. A BAND SHOULD BE JUDGED BY THEIR MOOZIK SKILLS !!!!!

Well we agree then. If a band makes an album worthy of the 5 star rating, then it deserves the 5 star rating - no matter whether it's a new or old band. That was not my point. What I was getting at is that the rater/reviewer should ask him/herself whether the album belongs in the same echelons as the finest of releases he's/she's ever heard.
Of course new bands can make masterpieces......what irritates me a bit is when people spread these masterpiece ratings around like candy. They should be reserved for those rare special albums, and I don't believe they appear in the tens and hundreds every year.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:21

lol Guldbamsen LOL  now topped my favorite Grumpy Dean to the top of the list GuldbamsenBig smile I see no wrong in ones true opinion and the feeling they felt by listening to an album and due to that most wonderful euphoric feeling/listening experience giving it 5 stars ApproveThumbs UpHug

I didn't either when I first started visiting this site, but there are some reviewers out there who spread the 5 star rating like it's going out of fashion. When they then come across something that genuinely bowls them over, they've run out of stars. I've spoken to quite a few who've admitted to rating an album with 5 stars, yet with tracks on the album they didn't likeConfused 
I don't think one should compare new releases to the classics (not always at least), but there are some who would do themselves good in, occasionally doing so - ie "Is this album really in the same class as Foxtrot, Close to the Edge, Yeti, Romantic Warrior, Alpha Centauri, Birds of Fire, Misplaced Childhood?" If not, then it's probably (just) a fantastic 4 star effort. 
There is, however, nothing wrong in awarding an album with 5 stars. The thing is: does it continue to be a masterpiece? How many of these are worthy of this praise in the long run? Again, this is of course down to my own interpretation of the word 'masterpiece'. I feel it needs to be something special - and not 'special' in the "wow, there's some really nice guitar in there" - but more in the manner of "holy potato!!!!!! Now I believe in flying elephants and interstellar mating rituals". A masterpiece should be reserved for those rare glimpses one gets of infinity and beyond - the true soul orgasms.....IMO of courseWink
The current 5 star attitude, or the most commonly used, de-valuates the purpose of the ultimate rating.

Close ties or special attachments should be a major part as to why one should dole out the infamous 5'r.
That holy potato you speak of is a feeling I have genuinely got with a few releases this year.
One thing for sure is that music isn't dead and has Prog looking very healthy these days.
Not a disappointing year.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well this is a question that largely depends on what the individual has discovered and how that album has affected them. Music hits people in different ways, which is why "Monty's" are kinda prematurely given, but to answer your interesting question of course, me personally I really take my time and wait till the end of the year to post my results. Anyway I felt 5 albums were definitely very worthy of the 5 star rating not only to PA's rules and conditions for rating albums, but for my personal taste and enjoyment. I know that may seem like a lot to some, but 2014 has/had some great releases.

1) IQ--Road of Bones ( very very well deserved. The melodies and overall composition is so beautiful to mix in with a very dark subject matter. Great album production as well.
2) Devin Townsend-- Z2 (sky blue, Dark Matters, Darker Matters) 3 cd set. (This one massively deserves the famed 5 . When we talk about innovation that is quirky, imaginative, heavy, epic and funny! None are better than mr. Townsend. Z2 slays Z1.
3) Vanden Plas--Chronicles of the netherworld pt1: Best concept album of the year for me. Story is tight and the music is utterly fantastic. Not only that, vanden Plas took a different direction in their overall sound by letting the keyboards of Gunter Wërno lead the band instead of the guitar taking a more dominate presence in the mix.
4) ELOY-- Reincarnation live on stage ( one of the best live albums I've heard in quite a while actually. Brilliant sound quality and well thought out set list that would have any Eloy fan drooling. )
5) Tim Bowness-- Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. ( the level of emotion and feeling in this album is at an unbelievable high. Definitely the most engaging album I have listen to this year. It's a very sweet album and I think a 10 year hiatus from bowness from his solo career was worth the wait with this album. ;)

Honorable mentions....

Hibernal--Replacements ( my personal taste I'd give it 5 stars, but to the PA's rating system it would probably bracket a 4, especially with most prolific reviewers on here; however it does meet my criteria of a masterpiece. It's a sci fi beauty that invokes wonderful reminders of the movie Bladerunner. Beautiful, epic guitar as well.
I guess that is a generous 6 then.

6 for me. :)

How about you, Dave?

Well none....as of yetSmile Maybe the new Kayo Dot'll show itself as a genuine masterpiece at some point - just like the new Necromonkey..........but I'm not sure yet.

Sorry for the short reply, but I have a babysister who's tripping beside me. I promised her to go out shopping, and now she really wants to goLOL She reminds me of a small dog, but I'd rather not mention that to her face...

BTW Thanks for the in-depth response Nick. I really appreciate thatClap

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:34
^ anytime Dave. I like and respect the inquiry.
Certainly a layered one at that. Will talk more later, but don't play with that dog too long because you have to search for that holy potato this year. ;)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:35
There is no such thing as progressive considering such releases, these days, all has been done before however there is the general perception or understanding what one should expect.
I have full trust in collabs and I do know that if any band fan who goes through the hassle to sign in, join and write a review for their fav band even being it a 5 star they truly mean it and this too should not be discredited.
Fans are most passionate, Prog peeps are the most grumpy unwelcoming of new prog bands to be honest and this is not a good thing.   
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:47
to me any 5 star rating for an album by a collaborator or a fan is most valid, otherwise P.A. would not be accredited as the best source for progressive music This is a fact, do not discredit others as this was built upon common interest.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:47

Not having to give a rating is the main reason why I find writing for my blog so very liberating. I can write a positive review of an album I don't particularly like without that pesky number at the end giving away my real feelingsLOL. Anyway, if you think PA reviewers go overboard with 5-star ratings, you have not visited DPRP recently. As much as I like my fellow reviewers there, some of them tend to be overgenerous with 10/10 ratings - while for me an 8/10 means that an album is already excellent and highly recommended.

As to whether any masterpieces were released in 2014, I think the only album that might qualify as one so far is Ut Gret's Ancestor's Tale. All the others in my Top 10 are great, and I enjoy them a lot, but I am not sure I would call any of them a masterpiece.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not having to give a rating is the main reason why I find writing for my blog so very liberating. I can write a positive review of an album I don't particularly like without that pesky number at the end giving away my real feelingsLOL. Anyway, if you think PA reviewers go overboard with 5-star ratings, you have not visited DPRP recently. As much as I like my fellow reviewers there, some of them tend to be overgenerous with 10/10 ratings - while for me an 8/10 means that an album is already excellent and highly recommended.

As to whether any masterpieces were released in 2014, I think the only album that might qualify as one so far is Ut Gret's Ancestor's Tale. All the others in my Top 10 are great, and I enjoy them a lot, but I am not sure I would call any of them a masterpiece.
Again as I said this is ones opinion, all of you, some more skilled than others, but none are real music critics, thus amateurs who try to articulate their listening experience to others. Some more successful in doing so than others.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:56
I honestly find this conversation so redundant and pompous to be honest, considering the effort and hours, time and money musicians spend on their album for us to sit here and hypothesize or critique them, it's ridiculous really!  
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:58
Reviewing an album fine yes this is needed but sitting back while being and talking negative this is not nice really!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 09:58
Usually there's only one album every year that I'd award 5-stars. That album isn't even always prog.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:01
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Usually there's only one album every year that I'd award 5-stars. That album isn't even always prog.
this is fine and your prerogative too PolymorphiaBig smile I have no problem with that, what I don't like is the pompous negativity towards especially the new bands.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:05
my band in 2012 released an album but if you look at my profile I rated a few album that same year release 5 stars too!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:07
Prog bands have enough going against them, thus who the heck are we to be unwelcoming to them?  btw I am not a musician.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:13
an album should not be rated if the bands due to history "have paid their dues" album releases should be judged by their current release not otherwise.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Big smilePolymorphia Ditto what you said! But now I must dedicate this song to you SmileThumbs UpHugPain of Salvation - Undertow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmThYFlLFKM&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwMpru59t6e6aNB3556gzv7j&index=19 xxxx

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 10:27

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Again as I said this is ones opinion, all of you, some more skilled than others, but none are real music critics, thus amateurs who try to articulate their listening experience to others. Some more successful in doing so than others.
Cooee! BTW this is not any critique to Raff, she is very sweet and I like her a lot. This is in reply to my new uber fav grumpy who refuses to post the Heston Blumenthal pic Unhappy plus is very silly too.
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:14
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Something along these lines:

1. Gong "I See You"

2. Opeth "Pale Communion"

3. Hail Spirit Noir "Oi Magoi"

4. Seven Impale "City Of The Sun"

5. Spleen Arcana "The Light Beyond The Shades"

6. Happy Family "Minimal Gods"

7. Knifeworld "The Unravelling"

8. Agalloch "The Serpent & The Sphere"

9. Threshold "For The Journey"

10. Distorted Harmony "Chain Reaction"

11. Adebisi Shank "This Is The Third Album Of A Band Called Adebisi Shank"

12. Animals As Leaders "The Joy Of Motion"

13. Eccentric Orbit "Creation Of The Humanoids"

14. Ysma "Fourth Wall"

15. Proud Peasant "Flight"

Not in PA, but ought to be: 

Spoke Of Shadows "do" POSSIBLY YEAR'S BEST

Closure In Moscow "Pink Lemonade"

Thanks for mentionning Spleen Arcana, Earlyprog! Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 11:25

I honestly find this conversation so redundant and pompous to be honest, considering the effort and hours, time and money musicians spend on their album for us to sit here and hypothesize or critique them, it's ridiculous really!  

I don't think it's pompous to raise awareness of the true meaning of the masterpiece rating, which was what I was going for. I happen to love quite a few new bands (that's an understatement, if I've made one!).

I respect you for standing up for the new kids though Sonia, but I was never pointing fingers at them. I am trying to convey the importance of....let's just say dynamics in one's ratings. If all things good get treated as masterpieces, then there is no rating for....well Masterpieces. If I see a reviewer pump out one 5 star review after the other, I lose interest.
Personally I feel such an album takes time to absorb and get one's head around before the splendour of it reveals itself.
I have no ill feeling towards anyone in particular, but if we are to have a site which foundation lies in ratings (as much as I'm against it, that is still exactly what PA is), then something like the ultimate rating has to be considered well before applying it. This is also why you get the 'warning' box every time you pull the 5 star trigger. It is reserved for those special albums. If you just spread it around it loses it's true value.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 27 2014 at 11:30

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 19>