Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2014 Picks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 12:12
^David's probably one of the biggest supporters of new bands here. In fact, the phenomenon of overrating happens more to relatively older bands [COUGH]Transatlantic[/COUGH].

By contrast, I've been having trouble getting into prog bands this decade. There are ones I'd like out there for sure, but most of them aren't given much attention on PA, so I have to find them elsewhere. I've seen nothing about Inter Arma's The Cavern, for instance, which is one of my favorite albums year and my second favorite prog album this year.

Edited by Polymorphia - December 27 2014 at 12:28
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I honestly find this conversation so redundant and pompous to be honest, considering the effort and hours, time and money musicians spend on their album for us to sit here and hypothesize or critique them, it's ridiculous really!  

This is exactly why I do not review albums anymore. I just rate them for my own personal database. Mainly, I think who the f**k am I anyway. I am just a listener, a discussion man and an appreciator.
Anyway, I agree with some of what you've said here Kati, but I don't agree with you saying that there is 'no such thing as progressive' anymore. Just give a listen to the modern day Devin Townsend. His fictional and hilarious conception of Ziltoid the omniscient is a byproduct of this unique mans personality wrapped around some very bizzare musical styles. I really recommend checking out Z1 and of course Z2.
If its reinventing the wheel you want for a concept album and musical style you won't be sorry.

Happy progging.   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 03:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

I feel a bit like this.  Very little has really floored me to the point that I can feel completely comfortable with a 5 star rating for the 2014 releases I've heard so far with the exception of maybe Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics.
I'm fairly sure that will be my No1 for the year. Deluge Grander and Corvus Stone are pretty close though.

Edited by richardh - December 28 2014 at 03:24
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:15
I haven't heard that Deluge Grander album yet actually. I enjoyed their latest one though (August In The Urals), so it might be worth investigating, although I seem to remember it being a somewhat limited vinyl release only? (could be a little too much for my wallet atm)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:21
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

^David's probably one of the biggest supporters of new bands here. In fact, the phenomenon of overrating happens more to relatively older bands [COUGH]Transatlantic[/COUGH].

By contrast, I've been having trouble getting into prog bands this decade. There are ones I'd like out there for sure, but most of them aren't given much attention on PA, so I have to find them elsewhere. I've seen nothing about Inter Arma's The Cavern, for instance, which is one of my favorite albums year and my second favorite prog album this year.

Thanks Tony, I really appreciate it. I would hate for members to think that I'm biased towards the old dinos - not able to give the new kids a chance. That is about as far from the truth as can possible be. I just wanted to direct attention to the hyperrating we get on this site, and the fact that it diminishes the value of the 'masterpiece' status. 
My listening habits are all over the place, and I think I reach for about as many new releases as I do old. Either way, I don't think like that. If it's any good, then to hell with the releases date, place of birth, lingo or any other irrelevant info in regards to how the music actually sounds.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:39

I haven't heard that Deluge Grander album yet actually. I enjoyed their latest one though (August In The Urals), so it might be worth investigating, although I seem to remember it being a somewhat limited vinyl release only? (could be a little too much for my wallet atm)

Incidentally, we spent a very nice evening yesterday with a group of people that included Dan Britton - the mind behind Deluge Grander and Birds and Buildings (more details about the evening in the Prog News section). Indeed, the album was released in only 205 vinyl copies, each with hand-painted artwork and hand-written lyrics, and signed by all the musicians involved. However, you can listen to the album in its entirety (and see all of the copies produced) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzT5hLxMEng
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:41
Thanks RaffThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 06:47
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

So just for fun, and partially because I think the 5 star trigger is being pulled waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too often, I'd like to ask PA members of how many genuine masterpieces they think were produced in 2014?

While I think the year has been absolutely drenched in wonderful releases, I do not feel comfortable in awarding any of them with the full monty. Some, however, do have the potential to reach the upper shelf, but for me that takes time. Maybe in a year, I'll be able to sing the praises of one of these albums - stamping a 5 star rating on my review, but I want to be sure and not just driven by the moment I first hear something good (like I strongly suspect a fair few reviewers tend to do).

Not having to give a rating is the main reason why I find writing for my blog so very liberating. I can write a positive review of an album I don't particularly like without that pesky number at the end giving away my real feelingsLOL. Anyway, if you think PA reviewers go overboard with 5-star ratings, you have not visited DPRP recently. As much as I like my fellow reviewers there, some of them tend to be overgenerous with 10/10 ratings - while for me an 8/10 means that an album is already excellent and highly recommended.

As to whether any masterpieces were released in 2014, I think the only album that might qualify as one so far is Ut Gret's Ancestor's Tale. All the others in my Top 10 are great, and I enjoy them a lot, but I am not sure I would call any of them a masterpiece.

I feel the same. I hate having to reduce an album to a number of stars. ALWAYS the hardest part of the review for me. Sometimes I sit around for 20 minutes after having written the actual review - just mulling over what kind of number I should pickDead Like I've said so many times before; I would prefer a site without ratings, but that is not going to happen. People like to rate music - just like they like to rate everything else from facebook comments to movies to books to shopping experiences to food to.........and it goes on for eternity. Makes me feel sad for the human condition. Well just a little bit anyhoo - nobody forced this over our heads, although it certainly feels like that at timesTongue

- Douglas Adams
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:50
So far I've got ; (Caution: diverse list!)
1. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
2. Sammath - Godless Arrogance
3. D'angelo/ The Vanguard - Black Messiah
4. Swans - To Be Kind
5. IQ - The Road of Bones
6. Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste
7. Heresiarch – Wælwulf
8. Ariana Grande - My Everything
9. Witchblood - Hail to Lyderhorn
10. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
11. Hollie Cook - Twice
12. FKA Twigs - LP1
13. Woodtemple - Forgotten Pride
14. Orange Goblin - Back From The Abyss
15. St Vincent - St Vincent
16. Desecresy - Chasmic Transcendence
17. Tink - Winter's Diary 2
18. Conquering Dystopia - Conquering Dystopia
19. Flying Lotus - You're Dead!
20. Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
21. Grouper - Ruins
22. Enthroned - Sovereigns
23. Charli XCX - Sucker
24. Sorcier des Glaces - Ritual of the End
25. Ripper - Raising the Corpse
26. Nunslaughter - Angelic Dread
27. Entrench - Violent Procreation
28. The War On Drugs - Lost in The Dream
29. Nausea - Condemned to the system
30. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 13:59
How's that Grouper album? I bought the 2013 release The Man Who Died In His Boat and was somewhat under-whelmed, but still quite curious as to how her sound would evolve with subsequent releases.

- Douglas Adams
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:03
Not sure about The Man Who Died In His Boat, the new one grabbed me instantly, the previous I somewhat forgot Tongue
I've created an atmosphere where I'm friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 14:04
Allright, thanks. I may just look into it when my bank account restores itself.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 16:20
Heh, I just listened to Electric Orange newest whilst walking the snowcovered streets of Brovst (hometown of my folks), and I may just have to bump up my rating to a 5.....so yeah there is definitely a candidate for the masterpiece status, although I may have said otherwise
Thing is this album is such a monster, and it's taken me quite a while to really appreciate it's rather experimental sounds. I got the cd from the band with the promise of a review....which I did. I would've preferred waiting a while before passing judgement on it, but I think one owes it to the artist in question to produce a write up inside a couple of months after receiving an album. I waited for as long as I deemed proper.

- Douglas Adams
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:09
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I feel a bit like this.  Very little has really floored me to the point that I can feel completely comfortable with a 5 star rating for the 2014 releases I've heard so far with the exception of maybe Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics.
I'm fairly sure that will be my No1 for the year. Deluge Grander and Corvus Stone are pretty close though.

It's been a slow year for prog. For me the new Corvus is the standout but I'll need to give it another listen to decide if it's a five-star effort for me. If they had trimmed 25 minutes off it then without a doubt. Then again, that still leaves a good 50 minutes of undisputed outstanding material, when most bands can't dig up 5 minutes of the same to save their lives.

I am just not grooving on Deluge Grander or DtES. Both sound somewhat generic and meandering for me. (Much like IQ, but I know I'm in the minority position on that.)

Oh, and I still have yet to hear the Haken EP, although I bought it a month ago. Given they are my favorite prog-metal band that will certainly compete for the top spot.

Edited by Stereolab - December 28 2014 at 18:13
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2014 at 18:39
Zappa's Roxy By Proxy is certainly a masterpiece...even though it's from the early 70s.

Still have to review things andactuallly make a list of things I've heard, but I'd agree...not many 5 star albums this year.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 04:12

Yep never had a CD release although it is available for download which is how I have it.
The Glide View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 05:36
Thanks for the reminder on Roxy by Proxy, forgot about this release!Thumbs Up
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 05:43

Prog bands have enough going against them, thus who the heck are we to be unwelcoming to them?  btw I am not a musician.

Kati, do you really have to write a new post for every new sentence you type? LOL

BTW, what band are you in?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 05:43

I honestly find this conversation so redundant and pompous to be honest, considering the effort and hours, time and money musicians spend on their album for us to sit here and hypothesize or critique them, it's ridiculous really!  

I don't think it's pompous to raise awareness of the true meaning of the masterpiece rating, which was what I was going for. I happen to love quite a few new bands (that's an understatement, if I've made one!).

I respect you for standing up for the new kids though Sonia, but I was never pointing fingers at them. I am trying to convey the importance of....let's just say dynamics in one's ratings. If all things good get treated as masterpieces, then there is no rating for....well Masterpieces. If I see a reviewer pump out one 5 star review after the other, I lose interest.
Personally I feel such an album takes time to absorb and get one's head around before the splendour of it reveals itself.
I have no ill feeling towards anyone in particular, but if we are to have a site which foundation lies in ratings (as much as I'm against it, that is still exactly what PA is), then something like the ultimate rating has to be considered well before applying it. This is also why you get the 'warning' box every time you pull the 5 star trigger. It is reserved for those special albums. If you just spread it around it loses it's true value.

Awww Guldbamsen, my sweet friend, you I love too much. Obviously what I said has come out the wrong way, what I meant to say: Yes I think it’s pompous to hypothesize why bands “who if you will, have not paid their so called dues” compared to the greats who have been around since forever and time again have proven how great they truly are, I too feel that urge sometimes to go back and listen to those wonderful bands/albums, however every now and then a new band does pop up who have produced an album that gives us a fulfilling amazing listening experience, they too (judging by their current release) also deserve as credit much by those who really enjoyed it.

Reviewers have a difficult task in differentiating between a band they have grown fond of in comparison to one they don’t know thus don’t have any soft spot towards the band members. I think here they do a great job, I could never do this myself, nor do I have the articulate skills for this. This happens all the time, inc. Rolling Stone Magazine etc. it’s human nature, however this doesn’t mean they have not reviewed it accordingly, if you like a band you’ll be more open minded and give them more attention and a few more spins. This is how things work, besides small indie bands have no chance against the major bands backed by the music giants of the music industry, this we have to accept.  

A big hug to you,  HugHeart

Edited by Kati - December 29 2014 at 05:45
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 05:50
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Prog bands have enough going against them, thus who the heck are we to be unwelcoming to them?  btw I am not a musician.

Kati, do you really have to write a new post for every new sentence you type? LOL

BTW, what band are you in?

hahahaha!!! earlyprog LOL you pest! If you tell me how I can reply without making a new post that'll be great Big smile
I am not a musician Smile
hugs Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>