Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Song For All Seasons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which track is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [46.67%]
8 [53.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Song For All Seasons
    Posted: July 28 2014 at 06:18
 Two epics, one album, both fantastic. Day of the Dreamer for me! 

Edited by fudgenuts64 - July 28 2014 at 06:21
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 07:21
Day Of The Dreamer - love Tout's synth solo over the 7/8 rhythm, Camp's bass, and the exquisite mellow mid-section which makes my eyes tear up. Just an outstanding track on a very strong album.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 09:23
Dreamer, one of their few really cheerful tracks, which I sometimes wish they had done more of.  And the second verse - after the interlude - is some of Annie's best singing.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 16:22
A Song For All Seasons The last of their truly epic high drama pomp/symphonic prog rock as well as the last prog song on their last great prog album. At last.

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2014 at 15:12
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2014 at 16:59
A really difficult call since both are amazing! I voted for Dreamer, perhaps because A Song For All Seasons borrows a bit from that chromatic up and down progression of the James Bond theme while Dreamer is more original.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 00:29
Both great songs. Voted for A Song For All Seasons, but Dreamer has more progressive qualities. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 00:34
Don't understand the dislike, even hatred, towards the albums after this great one
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 03:39
Dislike/hatred, pretty strong words.  I think it's just that people have a pre conceived bias against late 1970s albums, especially those released by the biggies.  I mean, not that they automatically assume anything from late 70s has to be bad (though some seem to) but they think the real booty has to be in the early 70s/mid 70s albums.  I don't think that is necessarily the case for ALL bands and Renaissance did take some time to find their feet and settle down.  So those who believe there's nothing beyond Ashes/Cards worth checking out are missing out, period.  

Secondly, SFAS specifically has a commercial flavour and that again seems to be something that a lot of people are predisposed to dislike.  Not just in the case of Renaissance, but even generally.  I read a review of Crime of the Century where the reviewer complained he couldn't understand how people rated it so highly when the track Rudy even had something he referred to as "pop sound" (he was referring to the keyboard tones in the middle just where the music picks up to lead back to the vocals and break out).  That's a pretty strong reaction, I should say.  I do not understand that kind of approach to music appreciation, but I do understand what somebody who does look at it that way would dislike about SFAS.   I on the other hand think the commercial flavour gave them a bit of verve and urgency that they badly needed otherwise their music can at times get plodding and demand a lot of concentration just to pay attention to what's happening.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 04:15
^ Same could be said for Yes (Tormato) - ELP (Love Beach) and Genesis (And There Were Three).   
Something like The Golden Key, well, they could've stretched out further, and Camera Camera features some wonderful compositions and playing.   This narrow-mindedness I just can't comprehend.....
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 04:22
Well, in the case of those three bands, there was a perceptible drop in quality compared to the masterpieces they produced earlier in their career.  But what people forget is those bands were from the first wave of prog.  Now Renaissance may have debuted in 1969 but that was a different band from MKII which only debuted in 1972.  Just as it took time for Yes to get from the debut s/t to the Fragile/CTTE level, it took time for Renaissance also to get going.  And like many other second wave bands, they peaked earlier and did not get beyond a particular level.  

As for Golden Key, it didn't necessarily need any stretching out, but certainly a different and more interesting interlude which kind of ruined the beautiful verse.  I can understand the reaction to Camera Camera and I myself do not like it because the quintessential approach of heavily orchestrated but understated elegance that Renaissance had relied upon in the 70s was gone.  It was too brash for a band not known to be brash and the fact that it was uncharacteristic unfortunately came across in their delivery too.  They didn't sound very convincing trying to play that kind of music.  

Edited by rogerthat - July 29 2014 at 04:23
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 13:55
Dreamer
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:06
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Don't understand the dislike, even hatred, towards the albums after this great one
My saying that A Song for all Seasons was the band's last true prog album doesn't mean that I dislike Azure D'or or Camera Camera as I think these two albums are great in a folk rock way with Azure D'or and an in an eighties keyboard sounding way with a new wave twist in Annie's vocals on Camera Camera, which I felt was the right way to go in the eighties in order for 70's prog acts to stay alive. Gosling's synths sounded thick and cheesy at the time and still do now but the album has great highlights like the title track and Ukraine Ways. I realized at the time what this group was up against and I think they gave it their best shot to sound somewhat like themselves and also modern, so my hat was off too them. Unfortunately the Time Line album that followed was entirely pop and appealed to nobody so their time was done but at least I was treated to a few good parting shots from one of my favorite bands. I even liked the Tuscany album and the new Grandine Il Vento. I hope this post puts the smile back on your face Tom.

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2014 at 15:20
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:29
 Azure D'or is really good, bits of Camera Camera are pretty good too but the album as a whole is sorta meh. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:41
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

Azure D'or is really good, bits of Camera Camera are pretty good too but the album as a whole is sorta meh. 
I'm a bit older than you, naturally, so I may see Camera Camera in a different light and give it more leeway as the transition period between the late seventies and early eighties was incredibly tough and awkward for all 70's prog acts and that's why I feel that they gave it a good shot where others failed worse or went into a too easy pop/prog mode but I respect your feelings about the album as many things in the music are awkward.

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2014 at 16:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 16:01
^^^ - all good words there
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 20:51
They could never really adapt to a set up without orchestra; that was the problem Azure D' Or and onwards.  It's strange because in their early albums, there were songs built around just guitar and/or piano, including some of their best tracks like Things I Don't Understand and Trip to the Fair.  And in most concerts even in the 70s, they were performing dense material like Mother Russia without an orchestra and got by pretty well.  But somewhere they got so dependent on orchestra that when it was taken away from them, their music began to sound kind of flat and lacklustre.  Frankly, I think the problem persists even on the most recent Grandine Il Vento.  They are able to reproduce the orchestral layers in their old compositions very well with modern keyboards now, but they haven't yet (will they ever?) figured out how to adapt keyboards to imitate that orchestral effect in a way that evokes their quintessential lush, rich sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:48
I feel Azure D'or was pretty convincing, they definitely sound a bit like Genesis did around the same time period. As for Camera Camera, I like the title track and Faeries quite a lot surprisingly, and Running Away From You. My big issue with it is like what SteveG said, a lot of it just sounds awkward, in this case the synths are so dated it makes it feel like a product of it's time so much more.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 01:12
^ I like what Gosling did on Camera Camera. And Camp on the bass, what a great style of playing for an 80's album, almost like 'lead bass'.
I even think that Time Line has its moments.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 09:18
Love Camp's bass work on all their albums, they always had the bass used prominently and even when electric guitars were back on A Song For All Seasons it was still as well used as it ever was.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 09:21
^Jon Camp Bowdown  +1A

Edited by SteveG - July 30 2014 at 09:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>