Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Reissues Part II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Maybe these reissues will finally include the complete credit lists. Jimmy Page never wrote a single original song, all ripped off.
That's an extreme statement. I freely admit that Page lifted some songs or riffs from other artists like Jansch and Holmes but he composed 99% of his songs. He was too talented not come up with his own material.  This is Jimmy Page we are talking about after all, not some second rate hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M

what a shame, they were even too lazy to change the titles. Lack of creativity but that's probably because of drugs. Find me another band who did the same.
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:43

Maybe these reissues will finally include the complete credit lists. Jimmy Page never wrote a single original song, all ripped off.
That's an extreme statement. I freely admit that Page lifted some songs or riffs from other artists like Jansch and Holmes but he composed 99% of his songs. He was too talented not come up with his own material.  This is Jimmy Page we are talking about after all, not some second rate hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5M

what a shame, they were even too lazy to change the titles. Lack of creativity but that's probably because of drugs. Find me another band who did the same.

I think a lot of the Led Zep song credits now include the original author.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 15:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvLsutfI5Mwhat a shame, they were even too lazy to change the titles. Lack of creativity but that's probably because of drugs. Find me another band who did the same.
From what song did Page copy the long psychedelic breakdown played on his Fender Telecaster (yes, Telecaster not Les Paul) with a violin bow on the song Dazed and Confused that The Yardbirds lifted from Holmes? Do you think he got that from Holmes who was a second rate folk artist? I think that you protest too much without considering the entire songs as the basic musical structures of many are very different than the songs that they are supposed to be copped from.

Edited by SteveG - July 31 2014 at 15:37
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 16:42

From what song did Page copy the long psychedelic breakdown played on his Fender Telecaster (yes, Telecaster not Les Paul) with a violin bow on the song Dazed and Confused that The Yardbirds lifted from Holmes? Do you think he got that from Holmes who was a second rate folk artist? I think that you protest too much without considering the entire songs as the basic musical structures of many are very different than the songs that they are supposed to be copped from.

Jimmy Page was unknown musician back then, he became famous after he stole other artists music.  And if it wasn't enough

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/20/314256004/led-zeppelin-sued-over-stairway-to-heaven-guitar-line

Jimmy Page is a talentless f**k.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 17:33

Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Another excuse for Page and Plant to make more money from the fans.
Shame on them.
I beg to differ Doc as I have waited along time for these albums to be remastered and they sound great compared to the 90's remasters which were congested  and flat as the tech is much better now. Unlike Floyd who seemed to remaster and repackage ad infinitum, Zep have held on to these so long that I thought that I and band would die before they were remastered so I'm one happy camper.  I might even  be buried with them, that's how good they sound.  LOL

lol.....?
No. It's in my will along with Led Zep 4 (Zoso) and a lot of Hendrix to take to the other side.
Now that's funny.......LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 17:43

Jimmy Page was unknown musician back then, he became famous after he stole other artists music.  And if it wasn't enough

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/05/20/314256004/led-zeppelin-sued-over-stairway-to-heaven-guitar-line

Ermm
If Page is a 'talentless f**k ' then so is Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, and all the other older blues rock players ,etc  since they have all stole riffs ,chords , and songs from old black blues artists....and then we can go on to Perry, Slash, Jack White and every other modern blues rock guitarist who have stolen from Page, Clapton, Hendrix , etc.  I will agree that in several cases Zep did not give credit where it was due., but that was a common problem in the rock community back in the day and has nothing to do with guitar playing ability or anything else.

Edited by dr wu23 - July 31 2014 at 17:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 17:49

Jealousy is flattery in the music business, so I like what I like what hear. And Dr. Wu is correct.

Edited by SteveG - July 31 2014 at 17:50
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:28
Jimmy Page was an enormous talent who also purloined a huge quantity of material that he then altered enough to sound original.   And not just the old blues cats, I can hear everyone from Tim Harden to Stevie Wonder in Page's, Plant's and Jones' contributions.   But I'm afraid Dr Wu's comments only scratch the surface; recorded music is often a collage of previous musics come together in an individual way.   The Beatles did this masterfully, pretty much imitating early American songcraft as a medium by which to exercise their own writing, it's just that they hid their thievery better than most.

This was one of the reasons progressive rock progressed, it was, especially earlier, an extension of other peoples' music not an alternative to it, a product that came from within the rock community rather than an outside intrusion.   And the apple didn't fall that far from the tree.

Edited by Atavachron - July 31 2014 at 21:40
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 03:45

Ermm
If Page is a 'talentless f**k ' then so is Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, and all the other older blues rock players ,etc  since they have all stole riffs ,chords , and songs from old black blues artists....and then we can go on to Perry, Slash, Jack White and every other modern blues rock guitarist who have stolen from Page, Clapton, Hendrix , etc.  I will agree that in several cases Zep did not give credit where it was due., but that was a common problem in the rock community back in the day and has nothing to do with guitar playing ability or anything else.

They at least didn't steal whole songs just single riffs and chords. Find me another band who took whole songs (with the lyrics) and claimed it was their stuff. That brazen attitude and inability to write their own original material make Led Zeppelin the most overrated band of all time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:12
^ It's that brazen attitude that made them so powerful, few others had the audacity to go out and play others' music so brilliantly.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:52
^I must admit they were powerful cos they fooled so many people but that makes them overrated too.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 06:59

Ermm

They at least didn't steal whole songs just single riffs and chords. Find me another band who took whole songs (with the lyrics) and claimed it was their stuff. That brazen attitude and inability to write their own original material make Led Zeppelin the most overrated band of all time.
I think you'll find plenty of "original material" amongst their albums.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:15
Correct Chop. On every album from Zep 2 through to Coda. Some people get tunnel vision and miss the bigger picture.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 09:41
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:19

Correct Chop. On every album from Zep 2 through to Coda. Some prople get tunnel vision and miss the bigger picture.
Not Led Zep 1?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:25
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Correct Chop. On every album from Zep 2 through to Coda. Some prople get tunnel vision and miss the bigger picture.
Not Led Zep 1?

It is the album with the disputed songs so for the sake of simplicity I moved on the 2nd album. Eight albums of original material with one being a double album is enough to make the point.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 09:42
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:10

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Not Led Zep 1?

It is the album with the disputed songs so for the sake of simplicity I moved on the 2nd album. Eight albums of original material with one being a double album is enough to make the point.
Fair point, although LZ II has a few disputed old blues songs as well (Whole Lotta Love was "borrowed" from Willie Dixon, also The Lemon Song is Killing Floor I believe by the same artist.

I guess by the time they got to LZ IV they'd realised the error of their ways as "When the levee breaks" has always had a joint credit as far as I know..
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:26
^Agree about the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love but the killer riff was from Page and that's what's important to me.The lemon song was another dug up blues but as Dr Wu said, that was common with sixties blues rock bands at the time and Zeppelin was quickly moving away from the blues so they needed their own material from then on.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 10:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:57
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Jimmy Page was an enormous talent who also purloined a huge quantity of material that he then altered enough to sound original.   And not just the old blues cats, I can hear everyone from Tim Harden to Stevie Wonder in Page's, Plant's and Jones' contributions.   But I'm afraid Dr Wu's comments only scratch the surface; recorded music is often a collage of previous musics come together in an individual way.   The Beatles did this masterfully, pretty much imitating early American songcraft as a medium by which to exercise their own writing, it's just that they hid their thievery better than most.This was one of the reasons progressive rock progressed, it was, especially earlier, an extension of other peoples' music not an alternative to it, a product that came from within the rock community rather than an outside intrusion.   And the apple didn't fall that far from the tree.

I was thinking the same thing about the Beatles and this Zeppelin topic of "stealing" music.
All this music comes from very early blues, soul and R&B...throw in the new found distorted guitar, rougher vocals and in your face rhythm section now you have Cream, Yardbirds, The Who and Zeppelin..

Spot on Atavachron
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:49
^The deal with early American blues music, like early American folk music was that performers lifted riffs and melodies or lyrics from each other and changed them to suit their particular songs and needs. This was a known fact and that's why no one threw a fit when a blues tune got clipped. After all, people thought, who really created the original to begin with? When blues rock became big business obviously this attitude changed but Zeppelin was operating in between those two opinions at the time the band took off. That's why no one jumped all over Zep at the time. Now in our retro world, people look back and say 'Oh, how terrible they were.' But it's all been taken out of context now. Again, Zep still originally produced the majority of their music. The last time I was in a southern Delta blues club (quite awhile ago, btw), I don't recall the lone artist playing anything that resembled Kashmir.

Edited by SteveG - August 01 2014 at 15:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 21:16

^Agree about the lyrics of Whole Lotta Love but the killer riff was from Page and that's what's important to me.The lemon song was another dug up blues but as Dr Wu said, that was common with sixties blues rock bands at the time and Zeppelin was quickly moving away from the blues so they needed their own material from then on.

The killer riff was indeed Page's but it is clearly a standard blues riff that is repeatedly used by old and new bluesmen alike; root ~ minor three ~ four, with that chunky mute, a bit of swing in the right hand, and amp tone that would go on to define metal for the next twenty years .   But nothing special in the notes or pattern, it was what Page did with it that mattered,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>