Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush Vs. Porcupine Tree

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Rush Vs. Porcupine Tree: who do you prefer.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [56.36%]
22 [40.00%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 09:15
Porcupine Tree are pretty great and one of the best of the new generation of prog bands but....
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 14:04
PT for being so diverse throughout its less than 20 years of existence.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 14:07
Rush, Rush, Rush, a million times Rush. They blazed many a trail other bands (including PT) willfully traverse in this era and past ones.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 14:19
Rush is probably the more important band here, but I'd sooner reach for any PT album before any Rush album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 16:03
That's a tough choice for me....I really like the 3 classic Rush LP's: Farewell, Permanent, and Moving Pics ,  but PT appeals to me more as far as their style and overall sound so going with PT.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:10
PT is more expansive, diverse, melodic, dynamic... everything, basically. Rush were best when they reigned themselves in, because they weren't any good at making prog. Permanent Waves thru Power Windows is a good stretch though, by far some of the best 80's rock.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:15
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Porcupine Tree by far. Rush recorded way too much of weak albums alongside with some real masterworks.

Rush have also been around much longer than Porcupine Tree, so this isn't a fair assessment as to why you prefer one over the other.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

PT is more expansive, diverse, melodic, dynamic... everything, basically. Rush were best when they reigned themselves in, because they weren't any good at making prog. Permanent Waves thru Power Windows is a good stretch though, by far some of the best 80's rock.

Complete BS. Rush were as 'expansive, diverse, melodic, and dynamic' as Porcupine Tree. Have you actually heard a Rush album? Rush were a great PROG band and, yes, they were PROG. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 30 2014 at 20:29
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:31

PT is more expansive, diverse, melodic, dynamic...

I agree with this in general terms
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:34
Mirror Image: Their 70's music is full-fledged prog, and it's not very good because they didn't have the talent to make that style of music. Their 80's music is prog too, but in a far lesser degree.

I've evidently paid closer attention to Rush than you have, because they are not expansive (for prog), they are more about tightness. They are not diverse, as they have a very consistent (and certainly distinctive) sound. They have a 'melodic style' overall but were never focused on big, stand-out melodies, and it's self-evident that they aren't as dynamic.

Edited by King Crimson776 - July 30 2014 at 20:37
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:44
Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 20:55

Mirror Image: Their 70's music is full-fledged prog, and it's not very good because they didn't have the talent to make that style of music. Their 80's music is prog too, but in a far lesser degree.

I've evidently paid closer attention to Rush than you have, because they are not expansive (for prog), they are more about tightness. They are not diverse, as they have a very consistent (and certainly distinctive) sound. They have a 'melodic style' overall but were never focused on big, stand-out melodies, and it's self-evident that they aren't as dynamic.

But the fact that they continued to evolve organically with the times they lived, shows their enormous talent. You don't think 2112 is a good progressive rock piece? You don't think La Villa Strangiato is a good progressive rock piece? Need I go on? Look, you don't have to like Rush, but to sit there and undermine their talent to write prog music isn't something I take kindly to and I certainly won't sit here and nod my head along with yours. There are a lot of different ways to write progressive rock and they handled the longer epics just as well as they did the shorter pieces. Disagree all you want, I think you're wrong.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:02
I think Rush had a better early career.  I think PT had a better later career. 

Rush's first decade kills PT's first decade. 
PT's second decade interests me more than Rush's 2nd/3rd/4th.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:12
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

From Hemispheres through Hold Your Fire is my favorite Rush period. I think Hemispheres was a farewell of sorts to the longer pieces, although really The Camera's Eye is their last longer piece, whereas Hold Your Fire is the band's final album of their 'synth period.' So we're looking at a total of seven albums in this period. I can't even think of one Porcupine Tree album I genuinely enjoy. Rush just hits me harder emotionally. Porcupine Tree are a talented bunch of musicians, but their music just leaves me cold and this goes for Steven Wilson in general.

I may not like Porcupine Tree, but at least I didn't undermine their immense talent unlike some other members. Disapprove 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:14

Mirror Image: Their 70's music is full-fledged prog, and it's not very good because they didn't have the talent to make that style of music. Their 80's music is prog too, but in a far lesser degree.I've evidently paid closer attention to Rush than you have, because they are not expansive (for prog), they are more about tightness. They are not diverse, as they have a very consistent (and certainly distinctive) sound. They have a 'melodic style' overall but were never focused on big, stand-out melodies, and it's self-evident that they aren't as dynamic.

Oh, dear. As far as being "too" consistent, if you take 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, Counterparts and Vapor Trails, you get a band that sounds like five different bands.

I won't touch the remark about their alleged "lack" of talent.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:21
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Mirror Image: Their 70's music is full-fledged prog, and it's not very good because they didn't have the talent to make that style of music. Their 80's music is prog too, but in a far lesser degree.I've evidently paid closer attention to Rush than you have, because they are not expansive (for prog), they are more about tightness. They are not diverse, as they have a very consistent (and certainly distinctive) sound. They have a 'melodic style' overall but were never focused on big, stand-out melodies, and it's self-evident that they aren't as dynamic.

Oh, dear. As far as being "too" consistent, if you take 2112, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, Counterparts and Vapor Trails, you get a band that sounds like five different bands.

I won't touch the remark about their alleged "lack" of talent.

I should've just kept my remarks to myself and let him live in blissful ignorance. Big smile

Edited by Mirror Image - July 30 2014 at 21:22
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:24
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

From Hemispheres through Hold Your Fire is my favorite Rush period. I think Hemispheres was a farewell of sorts to the longer pieces, although really The Camera's Eye is their last longer piece, whereas Hold Your Fire is the band's final album of their 'synth period.' So we're looking at a total of seven albums in this period. I can't even think of one Porcupine Tree album I genuinely enjoy. Rush just hits me harder emotionally. Porcupine Tree are a talented bunch of musicians, but their music just leaves me cold and this goes for Steven Wilson in general.

I may not like Porcupine Tree, but at least I didn't undermine their immense talent unlike some other members. Disapprove 

Agree PT are colder although I still find emotional connection primarily in their later albums. 

This will probably be viewed with great scorn here, but I'd rather listen to Rush's debut or FBN than "Sky Moves Sideways" any day of the week.  Embarrassed

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:28

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Agree PT are colder although I still find emotional connection primarily in their later albums. 

This will probably be viewed with great scorn here, but I'd rather listen to Rush's debut or FBN than "Sky Moves Sideways" any day of the week.  Embarrassed

Well, we're all different and there's no right/wrong answers here. I just find it strange that someone would even make a comment about Rush's talent. I mean really...WTF? Why is their musical ability even in question? They have proven themselves. I don't like early or later Rush, but as verslibre pointed out this band has gone through so many stylistic changes.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 30 2014 at 21:29
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:30

Agreed Jim.  :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 21:36
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Agreed Jim.  :)

Awesome, PatLOLBeer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>