Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?
    Posted: September 05 2014 at 21:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. 
Maybe the memory of Rick will empower the two remaining critters into playing like they were on fire.
Monsieur Wright certainly deserves a grand gesture, bless his soul. 

Given the description of the album of being very ambient-like, I really doubt they will be playing like they were on Fire. I would expect a more soothing and moody album.

You can make ambient-like music on fireBig smile It was more meant as a state of mind when playing than anything else.
Klaus Schulze fx was on fire when he made Blackdance.

Well, then you might just as well get what you want. I'm not confident that I will get what I want, but I might just as well get something I'll truly enjoy anyway.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:41
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Maybe the memory of Rick will empower the two remaining critters into playing like they were on fire.

Given the description of the album of being very ambient-like, I really doubt they will be playing like they were on Fire. I would expect a more soothing and moody album.

You can make ambient-like music on fireBig smile It was more meant as a state of mind when playing than anything else.
Klaus Schulze fx was on fire when he made Blackdance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blood Simple View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 06:37
What a waste. Who needs SUCH Pink Floyd album?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:27

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 11:42
I just hope that Gilmour friend and guitar maestro Phil Manzanera will have some input, he would provide a little grit and lunacy to the otherwise placid /ambient stuff that might be on the plate. But it will be crucial to hear the organ and synth work, as Wright was probably the most recognizable keyboard player in rock history. 
Excited, no. Curious, yes 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 09:14
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:54
^ omg Pompei is amazing. I cranked that in my living room the other day. They play like Aliens during that time.

Also. Division Bell, I find, is a very mellow album and quite different from all other albums that are of course more Gilmour centric. I'm a fan of it. I'm surprised that you don't care for it as much. I honestly think its a pretty flawless album. Love th intro and the mellow ambient/rock fusings. It's brilliant.
I guess now I'm one of those guys who is excited for the release of Gilmour flavored Floyd.

May The Richard Wright dedication be a success.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:19
I think you are right. It is basically a question of how much you care for Division Bell, an album which always left me a little cold tbh. I love High Hopes, but that's it really. Keep Talking is also quite good, but compared to the stuff they were dishing out back when they were patrons of the beard, it simply doesn't measure up.....at least not for me.
I have a couple of friends who absolutely adore Division Bell though, but they were always more into Floyd post Dark Side including Final Lute and Momentary Tats.
Personally I tend to go for the early stuff nowadays. More, Atom Heart Mother, Pompeii and Ummagumma are the ones I keep returning to.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:32

Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Strange.....I used to stand in line at record shops on the day of release to pick up the latest Floyd album.  Now I have to find out about new Floyd albums thru the grapevine.

So, no, not excited.....the last real Floyd album, to me,  was Animals.  Still, I'll wait until my local library obtains a copy, then I'll give it a spin.  Not overly optimistic, especially over outtakes and unused ideas from a mediocre album.

I've been getting more and more into the idea of a new Floyd album, but the bolded part of this post perfectly mirrors my own hesitations. I mean, how is the new album going to be anything else than material, which originally was dropped for the Division Bell? 
Then again, the description of ambient meets Gilmour blues really made me think of his collab with The Orb....hmmmm but then again, I have a hard time picturing how they could ever come up with something as fresh sounding as that album - especially without the electronics of The Orb........but dammit I hope I'm wrong!

I think you are right, Dave. It's kind of hard to grasp the concept of anything really new or fresh that will come from Gilmour outside of what he's created with The Orb and of course, Pink Floyd.
Truth is I'm kind of expecting a very 90's ambient sounding album with a slight psyche/Prog rock edge to it.
I really enjoyed the Division Bell and it holds a lot of water for me, so sessions connected to that album? Well, you can count me in. I guess it all comes down to people who are a fan of the division Bell album or who are not to be genuinely excited about this album. How bad can it really be?
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:23
But it's not outtakes from the Division Bell. It's separate material written and recorded around the same time (or slightly after), but being lengthy instrumentals/jams, was never intended for the Division Bell, and was instead a separate project called The Big Spliff.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:53
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Strange.....I used to stand in line at record shops on the day of release to pick up the latest Floyd album.  Now I have to find out about new Floyd albums thru the grapevine.

So, no, not excited.....the last real Floyd album, to me,  was Animals.  Still, I'll wait until my local library obtains a copy, then I'll give it a spin.  Not overly optimistic, especially over outtakes and unused ideas from a mediocre album.

I've been getting more and more into the idea of a new Floyd album, but the bolded part of this post perfectly mirrors my own hesitations. I mean, how is the new album going to be anything else than material, which originally was dropped for the Division Bell? 
Then again, the description of ambient meets Gilmour blues really made me think of his collab with The Orb....hmmmm but then again, I have a hard time picturing how they could ever come up with something as fresh sounding as that album - especially without the electronics of The Orb........but dammit I hope I'm wrong!

- Douglas Adams
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:51

Edited by Intruder - September 02 2014 at 12:52
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2014 at 19:23
I love the band , but the fact is that there has been nothing to compare to the output they had, even the live show is constantly the same old stuff. The one thing I would say would be Dave doing Echoes again on his last solo tour.

I had been lucky enough to see the last nite Echoes was ever done as PF in chicago on the MLOR tour, and it was glorious.

It was also a sad commentary on Dave as a performer, because the sad fact was that he was missing the lyrics nightly , which was the reason he stopped, even though he claimed  it was because he did not want to sing about albatrosses at the time.
The Path is clear
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:21
Originally posted by tete tete wrote:

is more excited the Psicolorama album "Fear"

for FREE at

more imagination than the last Floyd, of course

Nooooooooooooooo.
tete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 08:28
is more excited the Psicolorama album "Fear"

for FREE at

more imagination than the last Floyd, of course
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by FunkyM FunkyM wrote:

Wikipedia says the "new" album is based on  unreleased material from the Division Bell era. I actually like the Division Bell, so I'm not pessimistic, exactly... Confused

Neither am I.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 20:01
The Division Bell.... meh....

My excitement level has gone way down.
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:08
Wikipedia says the "new" album is based on  unreleased material from the Division Bell era. I actually like the Division Bell, so I'm not pessimistic, exactly... Confused

Edited by FunkyM - August 22 2014 at 19:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:41
Hey don't sweat itSmile 
I am continuously being puzzled by strange over-lapses of mine - including releases by my favourite artists.

You'll like it, if you dig Gilmour's guitar playing though. Be sure of that. On here you get to hear it teaming up with fluid oozing synth percolations - making for a very soothing listening experience. It does shift tempers on you - hitting something akin to IDM and acoustic rock balladry with David doing a bit of singing, and then at other times you get the full whack of electronics, synths and guitar making for an altogether different listening experience. One thing though. It's always smooth like a baby's bottom without ever becoming 'suave'.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:26

What!?!?! Are you kidding me Nick!??? I thought you'd know this beauty:
and let me tell you, it really does age well. I am far more enamoured by it nowadays than back when i purchased my copy of it. Let it marinade a bit with you. It's not like it isn't great on first listen, but man it only gets better with each consecutive spin.

I'm not kidding. This one totally escaped me.
I feel a bit retarded right now, but hey at least I got something new and exciting to listen to.
I did phase out of the Cornish acid and ambient sounds for a few years at one point, but I don't think I should have missed this one. :)
Thank you kindly my friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>