Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs anyone excited about the new Pink Floyd album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 00:56
Not hugely excited but not indifferent either.  Will definitely listen to it when it comes out, but I don't have high hopes, really (pun intended).
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 00:57
I'll give it at least a spin! I am nervous about it but will listen with open ears
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:43
Hi,

If you have editing facilities and a really good DAW, one of these days, take 3 PF albums, and SEPARATE the keyboards from the rest of the band and lyrics.

You will be totally surprised and amazed at what you hear, which is usually very different, and not rock, pop, jazz or anything else music related many many many times ... they are a sort of ambient, weird, strange and sometimes amazing sound that floats through.

I, sincerely, DOUBT that any of these things will ever be heard by anyone that is a "FAN" of the band, and find the incredible individuality that the band had from its 4 members, which made it the special band that it was. You can even take some of the moments from his solo albums, and you know that he left behind 100's of those moments that might be used, and might never be used!

I appreciate Dave putting these out and such, but in the end, I much more miss the "space" that Rick added to the PF music that is not always appreciated because all we can think is of a rock song!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 12:51
I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested.
I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic.

It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 13:43
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested.
I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic.

It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.

I think the "hate" part is over. Dave even did a couple of his Wall shows. And so did Nick. The problem is that Roger won't have a lot to add to it, other than lyrics, or want to add anything but lyrics, I would imagine, and not simply just enjoy the moment and add the bass to the work.

I think that we will be surprised and that Roger will show up and have a nickname and no one will know who that is.

It doesn't matter to me. Pink Floyd has nothing to release or prove to me anymore, and I don't need 20 more minutes of something to tell me what I have already heard and known all along. I would be surprised if there is anything "new" here.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:16
Not even a little bit
uvtraveler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 10:21
If they put it on Spotify, I'll check it out there first.  If Waters and Gilmour aren't together, it will probably not be the type of Pink  Floyd recording that will interest me. 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 11:48
Shocked This is the first time that I read about it! And:

Originally posted by uvtraveler uvtraveler wrote:

If Waters and Gilmour aren't together, it will probably not be the type of Pink  Floyd recording that will interest me. 

Ditto!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:16
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I am. I've been thinking about it and any Division Bell sessions unheard by my ears makes me very interested. I absolutely love Pink Floyd and the fact that they are gonna dedicate this album to Richard Wright makes it even more momentous and epic. It's just too bad that waters and Gilmour still can't join forces. The hate is strong between those two.

I think the "hate" part is over. Dave even did a couple of his Wall shows. And so did Nick. The problem is that Roger won't have a lot to add to it, other than lyrics, or want to add anything but lyrics, I would imagine, and not simply just enjoy the moment and add the bass to the work.

I think that we will be surprised and that Roger will show up and have a nickname and no one will know who that is.

It doesn't matter to me. Pink Floyd has nothing to release or prove to me anymore, and I don't need 20 more minutes of something to tell me what I have already heard and known all along. I would be surprised if there is anything "new" here.

I feel 'the Floyd' have nothing to prove to me as well either. They have a very well established and lavish discography to my ears. They have around 7 albums albums that I absolutely adore. Not many bands have that with me.
Anyway. It's exciting to get some new material out in the open.
Even if its terrible I won't be pissed.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:05
Is anyone excited about this topic?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 21:06
As I have said before, I do am excited about this. However, I just thought about a risk here. For me, Pink Floyd had ended their discography on a very high note, Division Bell being among my favourite Floyd albums, and High Hopes being a really wonderful swansong... also, one of my favourite songs from them. Now, there's the risk for them to end with a not so stron effort. I hope this is not the case, of course.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:11
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

not me

BUT given they are stinking rich I assume this is not just some money making exercise and it will have genuine interesting music. I'll wait and see what the consensus is about it . Floyd were never my favourite band although WYWH and Animals are well up on my own list of best prog albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I seriously generally am.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 04:38
If the River maintains the level of competence of the AMLOR and Division Bell, I'll definitely buy it. I just hope it's no longer than 45 minutes (had the Bell not dragged on for 67 minutes, it would have been a lot  easier album to absorb and enjoy in one sitting).  

The lyrics is probably going to be a problem nonetheless. Anyone would find it very hard to step into Waters' shoes, even the best lyricists out there, much less a Polly Samson. I therefore hope they'll stick to instrumentals as much as possible to avoid degrading the overall experience with trite poetic imagery and stumbling flow of rhyme and rhythm.  

Edited by Argonaught - August 05 2014 at 04:45
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 04:50
Not really, to be honest. I'lle probably check the reviews on PA and then think about it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 06:32
I'm curious as all-hell. I'm sure it will be something special.
.........and I do hope it will be a winner, and all the nay-sayers can eat their words. I can't, for the life of me, believe that Gilmour and Co. would release inferior product. If it ends up resembling the instrumental work of On An Island, I'll be in Heaven.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 07:56
When you are on the cusp of being a septuagenarian, even a hot beverage can get you excited. Irrelevant old farts threaten to release an album and clueless young c.u.n.t.s consider the excitement quotient? Nah.(unless you're an accountant)  If Rawk has taught us anything it's that maybe everyone has a shelf-life.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 11:23
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

If you have editing facilities and a really good DAW, one of these days, take 3 PF albums, and SEPARATE the keyboards from the rest of the band and lyrics.

You will be totally surprised and amazed at what you hear, which is usually very different, and not rock, pop, jazz or anything else music related many many many times ... they are a sort of ambient, weird, strange and sometimes amazing sound that floats through.

I, sincerely, DOUBT that any of these things will ever be heard by anyone that is a "FAN" of the band, and find the incredible individuality that the band had from its 4 members, which made it the special band that it was. You can even take some of the moments from his solo albums, and you know that he left behind 100's of those moments that might be used, and might never be used!

I appreciate Dave putting these out and such, but in the end, I much more miss the "space" that Rick added to the PF music that is not always appreciated because all we can think is of a rock song!

Good Point.
Sinful View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:06
Any output from the band is welcome news, mostly I look forward to seeing the live show .
The Path is clear
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 21:10
Originally posted by Sinful Sinful wrote:

Any output from the band is welcome news, mostly I look forward to seeing the live show .

Most likely there won't be any concerts after this, even less likely a tour. I believe the most we can hope for is Gilmour solo shows... and I don't think he would go out of Europe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>