1 [12.50%]
2 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Five Fav The Enid's albums
    Posted: July 30 2014 at 03:06
For me, In The Region of The Summers Stars is above all, so an initial vote goes to that one.

My favourite tracks from each album are Under The Summer Stars, The Ring Master, Fantasy, Terra Firma and One And The Many

Edited by Svetonio - July 30 2014 at 03:09
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 13:36
Under The Summer Stars is the 1984 reimagining of the original title track. this of course implies that the debut album listed here is also the disappointing reimagining and not the 1976 original. I prefer the original in both cases.

My favourite individual track is also not on an album listed here, [The Song Of] Fand. 

Another firm favourite not listed here would be The Seed And The Sower with the very excellent track, Reverberations.
What?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 14:04
In The Region of The Summers Stars!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 14:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

In The Region of The Summers Stars!

Same for me, although six pieces is very good too.

For reasons of nostalgia 'Summer' from the album The Spell is my favourite Enid song though.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:32
I would have voted for Aerie Faerie Nonsense if had been on the list. I don't have White Goddess yet. Voted for Invicta but Six Pieces would run it close. 
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 18:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Under The Summer Stars is the 1984 reimagining of the original title track. this of course implies that the debut album listed here is also the disappointing reimagining and not the 1976 original. I prefer the original in both cases.

My favourite individual track is also not on an album listed here, [The Song Of] Fand. 

Another firm favourite not listed here would be The Seed And The Sower with the very excellent track, Reverberations.

Reverberations is also in that 1976 original album, isn' it?

I've found out that The Song Of Fand is from the album The Spell, but this track is also present as "Fand" in their second album Aerie Faerie Nonsense and in Risen (2011), all very long tracks - at least 20 minutes.

I'm confused about which Enid's album to be my first acquisition, as I never listened to anything of them and I don't know which were the changes of the band style along the time. Thanks to this poll I checked out the band's biography, and for what I read about them in PA, all of their albums feature very good music, regardless of some being less proggy/more classical influenced (or vice-versa).

Edited by Rick Robson - July 31 2014 at 19:44

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:27
First some background.

In The Region of the Summer Stars was recorded and released in 1976 on Buk records, soon after the band signed to EMI and the master tapes were transferred over to EMI. They then recorded and released Aerie Faerie Nonsense with EMI before being signed to Pye Records where they released Touch Me and Six Easy Pieces - the master tapes for their first two albums were not part of the deal and stayed in the EMI vaults.

Later in 1983/4 they attempted to release their back catalogue on CD using their own record label but the elves at EMI could only find some of the master tapes from the first two albums, so Robert John Godfrey and Steve Stewart set about recreating the missing tracks themselves. Being creative people they chose to re-imagine the tracks rather than produce verbatim copies. The two 1983/4 releases are different to the original recordings.

By some miracle the original master tapes have been found and these are now available.

Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Reverberations is also in that 1976 original album, isn' it?
No. Reverberations comes from the 1988 album "The Seed And The Sower", it is essentially a solo track by Robert John Godfrey.

It was a bonus track on the 1988  CD issue of the In The Region Of The Summer Stars but that was the 1984 re-recording not the 1976 original recording.

I've found out that The Song Of Fand is from the album The Spell, but this track is also present as "Fand" in Aerie Faerie Nonsense and in Risen (2011), all very long tracks - at least 20 minutes.
"Fand" was originally released in 1977 on Aerie Faerie Nonsense as two tracks: "Fand I" and "Fand II".

During the 70s when played live they were introduced collectively as "The Song Of Fand" and played as one continuous piece even though it shows on live albums as being in two parts. The live album Live at Hamersmith (1979) titles the two sections as "Song of Fand (Part 1)" and "Song of Fand (Part 2)" - these run to almost 19 minutes playing time.

I've always considered the full title of the whole piece to be "The Song Of Fand" regardless of what it is called on album track-listings and tend to call it that.

When they re-recorded it for the 1983 version of Aerie Faerie Nonsense they recorded a different version, which at over 29 minutes is longer.than the original 17 minute version. This version was also released as a 12" single in 1985 simply titled "Fand"

"The Song of Fand" is an extra live track on The Spell, which I believe is the 1979 Hammersmith live recording.

Risen is a 2011 album of old songs re-recorded by the current line-up.

I'm confused about which Enid's album to achieve first, as I never listened to anything of them and I don't know what was the changes of the band style along the time. For what I've read about them in PA, all of their albums feature very good music, regardless of some being less proggy and more classical (or vice-versa).
Since I am an unashamedly committed fan I find it hard to recommend albums to people. Personally I would avoid the two 1983/4 recordings in favour of the 1976/7 recordings and listen to In the Region, Aerie Faerie, Journey's End and Invicta before hearing any of the 1980s and 1990s albums

Edited by Dean - July 31 2014 at 20:31
What?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:33
In The Region of The Summers Stars
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:05

First some background.

In The Region of the Summer Stars was recorded and released in 1976 on Buk records, soon after the band..............   ....................    ..................................................
...........................................................................................................................
Hey thank you Dean! Indeed valuable informations you gave (as usual btw).

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 23:46

In the Region of the Summer Stars.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply