Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 20:58
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Tony.....crunch time!  That must have sucked but at least you can say you were honing a skill for later.  Employers like people who can come in and get it done under pressure!  Smile
It's the only time I can get it done. I've wondered if stress is a superpower.

I have heard there are people like that.....they literally perform best if they self impose a very short window of time for themselves.  But be careful of too much stress, it can harm your body. 

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:04
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Not sure if incidents triggered due to blind rage (or annoyance, however you wanna call it) count. If you don't wanna hear that one, then I'm changing the channel. I've done a number of equally stupid things, but the most interesting and least weird of all ('cause I've done some really weird yet unfunny things that will make you think like I'm some kind of an underage psycho-f$%k) would have to be this.

Alright, chaps. Some of you were drunk, some of you procrastinated, but I bet I can top anybody here because I was 17-18 years old ... and sober. Me and a metalhead decided to compete against bigger, more professional local high school bands ... as a duo. I was scrambling to write a really stupid half-assed prog-metal thing with a few sections and nonsensical lyrics. Think of the worst thing ever written in prog metal ... mine has to be worse. I put together the following items:

- an electric guitar
 - a keyboard
 - a tiny Yamaha amp
 - a mic (without a stand)
 - a whistle ('cause I guess I thought I was a mighty-fine f$%king whistler)
 - a sheet of metal that resembled a musical saw (because it gave off some sound)
 - I think I also brought an ocarina (which I couldn't play to save my life)

I saw this tech-metal band with all the PA ready (now imagine all this s$%t I brought) and the singer growling (which is something I to this day don't understand). 

My time to perform came. My metalhead buddy didn't show up. Imagine yourself alone, performing the dumbest piece in the history of mankind that wasn't finished and wasn't rehearsed. You get the picture. Define disaster ... it's when a guy from a competing band is trying to help you ... by plugging your mic (brought up close to your keyboard's tiny speakers) to his amp, and then you are playing your guitar and singing horses#$t. The mind reels.

Then next day I was asked if I was influenced by some comedy bands. I should have said "yes" instead of getting upset and saying something else.
LOL I need to hear this piece

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:09
Regardless of what you read into my posts here I'm actually quite a reserved and quiet guy in real life, until you pour drink down my neck, but even then not all reservations and inhibitions manage to fly out the window. 

I've done some dumb things while drunk, and some of them embarrassed other people, but I'd not say they were stupid as such, except on this one occasion (okay, this was incredibly stupid and by far the dumbest): after a friend's stag night, having consumed a ridiculous quantity of ale I decided to ride my motorcycle home along the country back-roads of darkest Bedfordshire sometime in the middle of the night. Too pissed to ride it properly, I more-or-less laid on the petrol tank, head between the handle-bars with my chin resting on the headlight; being compos mentis enough to realise that if the police saw me I was toast, I switched off the lights and navigated by moonlight alone. By sheer fluke and astounding good luck I did not encounter any other traffic on the road during the 7 mile journey and somehow managed to avoid spending the night in a ditch or wrapped around a tree; I honestly don't know how I got home, but I did. 

The following morning my Dad informed me that even though I had evidently had a good night if I ever did it again he'd "kick my arse from here to christmas and back again". He then dragged be outside to to show me where I'd left the bike: embedded in the bushes with the engine still running.
What?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:12

Tony.....crunch time!  That must have sucked but at least you can say you were honing a skill for later.  Employers like people who can come in and get it done under pressure!  Smile
It's the only time I can get it done. I've wondered if stress is a superpower.

I have heard there are people like that.....they literally perform best if they self impose a very short window of time for themselves.  But be careful of too much stress, it can harm your body. 
It's also less effective the older I get. Not a lifestyle I'd prefer to continue.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Regardless of what you read into my posts here I'm actually quite a reserved and quiet guy in real life, until you pour drink down my neck, but even then not all reservations and inhibitions manage to fly out the window. 

I've done some dumb things while drunk, and some of them embarrassed other people, but I'd not say they were stupid as such, except on this one occasion (okay, this was incredibly stupid and by far the dumbest): after a friend's stag night, having consumed a ridiculous quantity of ale I decided to ride my motorcycle home along the country back-roads of darkest Bedfordshire sometime in the middle of the night. Too pissed to ride it properly, I more-or-less laid on the petrol tank, head between the handle-bars with my chin resting on the headlight; being compos mentis enough to realise that if the police saw me I was toast, I switched off the lights and navigated by moonlight alone. By sheer fluke and astounding good luck I did not encounter any other traffic on the road during the 7 mile journey and somehow managed to avoid spending the night in a ditch or wrapped around a tree; I honestly don't know how I got home, but I did. 

The following morning my Dad informed me that even though I had evidently had a good night if I ever did it again he'd "kick my arse from here to christmas and back again". ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:37
I was a lucky devil myself. My stepdad told me to park his Porsche outside near his house. It was really dark, I didn't know how to turn the lights on this alien, and because it was really dark, I realized I've just driven the car off the curb. Off the curb! [Bump, bump] Then I thought: "Did I just ruin the car? Still seems to be driving fine." Took a good look at it using some light source and figured: "Looks fine. Nothing looks broken. Fooh! It could turn out really bad. ... I'm a CensoredCensored!"

... was 17-18 years old ... and sober. ... Then next day I was asked if I was influenced by some comedy bands. I should have said "yes" instead of getting upset and saying something else.
LOL I need to hear this piece.
Sorry, I destroyed all the evidence. Evil Smile (Actually, the evidence was gone along with my dead PC.)

It was actually that moment that eradicated one of my biggest, dumbest, most ambitious delusions from my head. It was then when I thought "never again" and began perfecting my overall style. Think I'm doing just fine right now, being under the spell of Donald Fagen, Peter Hammill, and Scott Walker.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 21:42

Not sure if incidents triggered due to blind rage (or annoyance, however you wanna call it) count. If you don't wanna hear that one, then I'm changing the channel. I've done a number of equally stupid things, but the most interesting and least weird of all ('cause I've done some really weird yet unfunny things that will make you think like I'm some kind of an underage psycho-f$%k) would have to be this.

Alright, chaps. Some of you were drunk, some of you procrastinated, but I bet I can top anybody here because I was 17-18 years old ... and sober. Me and a metalhead decided to compete against bigger, more professional local high school bands ... as a duo. I was scrambling to write a really stupid half-assed prog-metal thing with a few sections and nonsensical lyrics. Think of the worst thing ever written in prog metal ... mine has to be worse. I put together the following items:

- an electric guitar
 - a keyboard
 - a tiny Yamaha amp
 - a mic (without a stand)
 - a whistle ('cause I guess I thought I was a mighty-fine f$%king whistler)
 - a sheet of metal that resembled a musical saw (because it gave off some sound)
 - I think I also brought an ocarina (which I couldn't play to save my life)

I saw this tech-metal band with all the PA ready (now imagine all this s$%t I brought) and the singer growling (which is something I to this day don't understand). 

My time to perform came. My metalhead buddy didn't show up. Imagine yourself alone, performing the dumbest piece in the history of mankind that wasn't finished and wasn't rehearsed. You get the picture. Define disaster ... it's when a guy from a competing band is trying to help you ... by plugging your mic (brought up close to your keyboard's tiny speakers) to his amp, and then you are playing your guitar and singing horses#$t. The mind reels.

Then next day I was asked if I was influenced by some comedy bands. I should have said "yes" instead of getting upset and saying something else.

Ah, I have a few live show disaster stories to tell.  Putting on a bad (or even awful) show isn't stupid.  It's learning how to do something better.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 22:00
^ Thanks for the support, Rob.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 22:26
Thinking that a certain citrus based air freshener smelled so very very good that i decided to try it as underarm deodorant. My armpits were on fire for hours. BAD DOG!!!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 23:10
Caution, this might be graphic and embarrassing.

Ok, then.

I shaved my balls once anticipating sex for the first time with a  lady I was really into, and cut myself with the razor (first mistake; always use a guard and not a razor blade, for f**k's sake). Then--against all odds--I actually did get the chance to seal the deal, but I had developed razor burn and so for the entire time I was caught between arousal and excruciating pain. So it turns out a guy's ability to perform doesn't really work under those circumstances, and I bailed.  She was really pissed, I was really embarrassed, and it ended there.

Lesson learned. Now I'm onto new ways to royally screw up with the ladies.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 01:26
Nobody would want to know some of the crazy-stupid sh*t I've done (and still do...).
An immature person never learns........
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 03:21
I don't need to do stupid things.  Misfortune has a way of finding me on a regular basis.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:19
Drank two full bottles of Buckfast wine in Glasgow. I made a record number of apologies to my friends in the morning.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:29
^ I take it you do not want to divulge what happened. 

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Nobody would want to know some of the crazy-stupid sh*t I've done (and still do...). 
An immature person never learns........

You could try me, but since we are on a thread, ... .

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 05:30
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:38
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I shaved my balls once anticipating sex for the first time with a  lady I was really into, and cut myself with the razor (first mistake; always use a guard and not a razor blade, for f**k's sake). Then--against all odds--I actually did get the chance to seal the deal, but I had developed razor burn and so for the entire time I was caught between arousal and excruciating pain. So it turns out a guy's ability to perform doesn't really work under those circumstances, and I bailed.  She was really pissed, I was really embarrassed, and it ended there.

Noted--  perhaps a nice trim next time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:44
The most stupid thing I can remember was to miss the Werner Herzog retrospective in my city.
This night wounds time.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:44
Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Drank two full bottles of Buckfast wine in Glasgow. I made a record number of apologies to my friends in the morning.
LOL

...for our readers not conversant with this British favourite, it's like Boones Farm wine on steroids. Buckfast Tonic Wine is made by Benedictine monks in Buckfast Abbey, Somerset. When it comes to brewing alcoholic beverages you really can't trust the Benedictine's because, like the herbal liqueur that also bears their name, it was originally sold as a medicine  for medicinal purposes only. It is 15% proof with the equivalent caffeine content of 8 cans of cola - measure for measure that's more than Red Bull.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:56
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Caution, this might be graphic and embarrassing. Ok, then.I shaved my balls once anticipating sex for the first time with a  lady I was really into, and cut myself with the razor (first mistake; always use a guard and not a razor blade, for f**k's sake). Then--against all odds--I actually did get the chance to seal the deal, but I had developed razor burn and so for the entire time I was caught between arousal and excruciating pain. So it turns out a guy's ability to perform doesn't really work under those circumstances, and I bailed.  She was really pissed, I was really embarrassed, and it ended there. Lesson learned. Now I'm onto new ways to royally screw up with the ladies.
Perhaps you should consider Razorballs as your new user-name...???
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The following morning my Dad informed me that even though I had evidently had a good night if I ever did it again he'd "kick my arse from here to christmas and back again". He then dragged be outside to to show me where I'd left the bike: embedded in the bushes with the engine still running.

LOL
Oh wow

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 06:21
I remember going sledding with one of my friends named Mike a couple of years ago. We arrived at this huge hill down by the lake I grew up around. The light of day had subsided, and you couldn't actually see the bottom part of the appending ride. He went first with me shortly after. The speed was intense from the get go, increasing rapidly due to my, at the time, 100+ kilos of man rocket.
-I briefly note that Mike has stopped, only to see a small ramp carved out of ice and snow right in front of me. I swoosh elegantly up in the air, sled flying away underneath me...........yeah baby, this feels like flying! -I think to myself with a huge smile on my face, and for around and about 13-14 meters no less.
Slam!!!!!!! And I land on my tail bone feeling a sensation I had never ever experienced in my life before; my arse had exploded!

Looking back at this, I see this as some kind of evil and twisted form of evolutionary poetic justice - Breaking a bone which is nothing but an obsolete remnant of an ancient ancestor of ours. Now, in this day and age, you only ever really know you own one, when you inadvertently molest it and feel it's evolution fuelled pain. Ask any monkey, I say.

I spent the next 4 weeks trying to partake in an assignment for University, doped up on some strong medicine making it almost impossible to read anything off a computer screen. 4 hours of not taking the drugs resulted in me lying on the floor like a grotesque fetus.
Those were the days. Fun times.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 01 2014 at 06:22
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>