FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHey, stupid!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 06:49
..when I was kid we had an ant infestation in the house, being inventive I tried freezing them using the butane gas from an aerosol can of lighter-fuel. On reflection doing that near an open fire-grate was a pretty stupid idea but fortunately my hair and eyebrows did grow back. A few years later Dad tossed a dead watch battery into the same fire-grate which also turned out to be an equally stupid idea as the resulting explosion showered the burning coals across the room. 

However, it was my Mum who takes the crown for stupid mishaps with this fireplace - she used to use an old wooden tea-tray to force the fire whenever it was on the verge of going out (you cover the opening with the tray which forces more air to be drawn up across the coals ... don't try this at home). On this occasion she decided to prop the tray in place with a poker while she went and did something else (women and their multitasking... it will be their undoing). Long-story-short: left unattended the tray inevitably caught fire, which she grabbed and took outside onto the lawn to extinguish. A passing neighbour noticing that smoke and flames where billowing from our chimney-stack came over to help, but on seeing her kneeling on the grass trying to beat out the flames from the burning tea-tray quipped: "Typical Pauline, sets the house on fire and is now praying for rain...LOL

Edited by Dean - August 01 2014 at 06:49
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 07:12
Making homemade hot sauce out of habañeros and forgetting to wash my hands before taking a wee is another unintelligent endeavor of mine.
After splashing cold water on my salsa region for a few minutes with little to no relief at all, I remember that capsaicin is oil based. I run for the milk, ending up in a highly asexual and uncomfortably position, sitting on the edge of a leather chair with my penis stuffed neatly down a large glass of full-cream milk.
The moment my roomie walked in the door was probably one of the most awkward moments of my life.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 08:52
I'm going to bypass my stupid drunk stories (of which there are a few) because they are at least explainable - people do stupid things when they get stupid drunk.  However, one time I did something so totally stupid while sober, I still cringe in shame when I think about it almost 20 years later.   This is a classic example of a "brain fart" that resulted in extreme embarrassment.  I totally just "wasn't thinking".  Most of you know me fairly well, and I hope you don't think of me as a crazy sicko after reading this.  (now there's a great setup)

So I'm in the lobby of this hotel in Atlanta.  I was in grad school at the time, and a study group had agreed to meet there because they had a nice open area with couches.  I got up and went to the bathroom (I needed to go "number two").  There were two stalls, and for some reason I preferred one over the other, but I wasn't sure if it was occupied or not.  Because I'm tall, I looked over the top of the stall to see if it was occupied.  OKAY STOP RIGHT THERE.  Who does that?  Crazy perverts looking for a good time.  It turns out there was someone in there, and he was understandably upset that I was going around peeping at men on the toilet.  He started verbally retaliating at me, and I tried as calmly as I could to convince him that I had just made a mistake, and that I'm not a weirdo.  I thought by acting nonchalant rather than defensive, I could make my case better.  I think it worked.

I re-joined the study group, and I wonder what my face looked like as I met my classmates.  I felt like I had just lost my mind.  But all it was was the failure to make that mental connection between "need to know if stall is occupied" and "but the downside risk of actually looking inside is greater than the benefits of finding out."  I'm a logical guy, and I was aghast at how thoroughly I had failed to act logically (or even sanely).
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by The Pessimist The Pessimist wrote:

Drank two full bottles of Buckfast wine in Glasgow. I made a record number of apologies to my friends in the morning.
LOL

...for our readers not conversant with this British favourite, it's like Boones Farm wine on steroids. Buckfast Tonic Wine is made by Benedictine monks in Buckfast Abbey, Somerset. When it comes to brewing alcoholic beverages you really can't trust the Benedictine's because, like the herbal liqueur that also bears their name, it was originally sold as a medicine  for medicinal purposes only. It is 15% proof with the equivalent caffeine content of 8 cans of cola - measure for measure that's more than Red Bull.

Nailed it there Dean. In other words, one bottle is more than enough. Two bottles means a picture like this on Facebook the next day:

No prizes for which one is me in the picture. As for what I had to apologise for Andrey, I may divulge another time
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:46
When I was six, I went to a friend's birthday party. We engaged in a rolling-down-hill racing tournament. I won, and proceeded to throw up all over my friend's birthday cake later. The prize was a rock.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:53
This takes the cake-I was drunk one night in my teens, and started to pick my nose with a can opener. All I can remember is looking at the blood pouring out of my nasal passage.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 09:56
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

This takes the cake-I was drunk one night in my teens, and started to pick my nose with a can opener. All I can remember is looking at the blood pouring out of my nasal passage.
LOL

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:05

Good job.

I forgot about this when I posted last night. But when I was 21 I went to a Christmas party on Xmas Eve. At the time, I lived in a basement apartment. When I got home, I fell down the entire flight of steps to the basement(something like 18 steps). Fortunately, all I hurt was my left thigh which had a massive bruise on it. At the point this happened I was too drunk to feel ANY pain. But the next afternoon I woke up to the feeling of a knife being driven into my left thigh. Not to mention the pain in my head. I was lucky. I could just as easily have broken my neck.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 11:16
Similarly to Dean, my hands down most stupid act was in 1982 - I was at the indestructible age of 19 & in possession of a mean machine 2 wheeler - OK then, a scratty Yamaha RS100...

My 19 year old self decided I'd ridden from my friend's house in Welwyn to home so many times, it was perfectly OK for me to down about 7 pints + a couple of vodkas then ride home in the dark in -5 degree temperatures and to hell with the warnings of black ice.

Stupid? Yes - Lucky? Definitely

Luckily, no police were around in Hatfield when I lost the bike on a roundabout, slid about 20 feet & hit a lamp-post. Luckily there was no other traffic to hit me as I did it. Luckily, I was in enough shock to ride the remaining 8 miles home without further incident...

...despite having 2 cracked ribs & a wrist broken in 5 places, which kept me off work for 3 weeks and in plaster between February & the beginning of August.

I don't usually condone foul language here, but without a doubt, that night, I was a completely stupid w**ker!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 13:59

So long as you got the goods though, who cares how much blood there is? (I'm pretty sure that's the moto of a very twisted burglar somewhere)

Arnold Schoenberg
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:07

So long as you got the goods though, who cares how much blood there is? (I'm pretty sure that's the moto of a very twisted burglar somewhere)
I'm guessing he got caught red handed.

-Kehlog Albran
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:10
I woke up one morning in my late teens with these funny zigzag marks up my arms and a big purple stain on my shirt. It took me a while to workout I'd fallen down an escalator holding a kebab getting home from the pub pissed in Newcastle
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:15
One day I was cooking frozen beefburgers for lunch. I wasn't really thinking and decided to separate two that were stuck together by prying them apart with the pointy end of a kitchen knife. Net result a nice stab wound in the palm of my hand and a trip to Casualty
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Not investing in Eastern Poland
i shouldve invested in microsoft 30 years ago
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:20
One time I was pitching in baseball and got a runner caught between third and home.  I had the ball, and he was as good as out.  But I threw the ball to third base, and he ran home safe.  I bet the people in the stands were peeing their pants at that mistake.  And the look on the third baseman's face I'll never forget.

-Kehlog Albran
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 14:29
But seriously, I could tell about the time a few months ago when I practically emptied a waterpipe at a bar in Malta, mixed it with some beer, threw up in the toilet and sat in a corner suffering until almost all my friends had left, but that wasn't as bad as a terrible summer camp I went to when I was 13 yo, but that was too embarrassing(I'm not too proud of my early childhood) and too long ago(I have poor long term memory) to tell any more about.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

LOLClap
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:31

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

LOLClap

Arnold Schoenberg
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 21:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Making homemade hot sauce out of habañeros and forgetting to wash my hands before taking a wee is another unintelligent endeavor of mine.
After splashing cold water on my salsa region for a few minutes with little to no relief at all, I remember that capsaicin is oil based. I run for the milk, ending up in a highly asexual and uncomfortably position, sitting on the edge of a leather chair with my penis stuffed neatly down a large glass of full-cream milk.
The moment my roomie walked in the door was probably one of the most awkward moments of my life.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 21:43
Cry  That was such an amazing tale, David.  You win the internet.  Thread over.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>