Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you read Prog magazine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 15:57
Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it. I have much better uses for $ 15, and I can find much better reviews on the Internet (though I am one of those few remaining people who still love books and magazines made of paper).

Agreed Raff.  The attitude they chose to publish about Italian language prog equates to low creditability in my book.  Why would I support that?  And you are right in that we have a handful of writers right here who smoke the reviewers in that mag. 

Snufkins 3rd Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 16:12
My wife took out a subscription as a present and ive somehow not got round to cancelling itEmbarrassed! firstly each issue is driven by the need to advertise the latest box set re-issue from the past and re-hashing interviews and stuff thats been gone through so, so many times before. The world-wide heritage of progressive music is almost entiely ignored in preference of the latest re-issue of Yes, ELP, Genesis etc.. I'm not a massive fan of of all the contemporary 'prog bands' (most are just just melodic hard rock bands to my ears) but at least i'm hearing something new and have found a few new interesting bands. Overall it is what it is, a bit too shiny and self congratulating, bit parochial, bit limited and dull in its research.. I agree PA is much better for personal research and impartial viewsClap.
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 15:39
I have changed my mind after finishing reading the February issue of Prog, and bought the March issue just a few hours ago, though I still think € 19.20 is a steep price for a magazine.  The German Eclipsed magazine is only about a third of that price, but Prog is about 50% thicker, and all about prog, while with Eclipsed, at least half is about such non-prog classic rock artists as Eric Clapton or the Rolling Stones, so the ratio between price and prog-related content is about the same with both.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Sarah92ali View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2015 at 04:31
I read Prog magazine, but I receive it late I like to receive it sooner than I do now.
this issue was very nice  Prog magazine: issue 46 Jun/July 2014. very nice about Kate Bush
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2015 at 22:32
This is the ultimate prog mag for me but to be honest sometimes they do disappoint me. I am not sure if their (rock) reviewers are really into new progressive moozik.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 05:31
I criticized Prog magazine a bit at some other thread, mainly because that lack of new faces at the mag's cover page. However, it's quite nice to hear that the Prog magazine sponsored the Prog Stage at Desertfest in London in April 2015, at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. It was also the first iamthemorning concert in London, along with Messenger and Amplifier. Marjana from iamthemorning wrote on their Facebook page that the audience warmly received their performance, in what is no doubt...

Edited by Svetonio - May 24 2015 at 05:49
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2015 at 07:03
Yep, definately a bit paraochial!! i mean, come on.. The 'once around the world' bit.. They had the most useless, BCensoredks bit on Norwegian/ scandenavian prog once and have had pathetic stabs at other countries too.. It was actually realizing that there was a vast legacy of fascinating music from all over the planet that loosely can be termed 'Progressive' (in whatever way you want to interpret it..) that really brought me round full circle to many more obscure 70's British bands. Britain and the United States do not and have never had the monopoly on decent (and in particular, inventive) music.. not that you'd think that by reading 'Prog'. You'd think they could dedicate a whole issue to The Italian progressive scene, past & present.. or France.. or Eastern Europe.. or Mexico.. or Japan etc etc

starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2015 at 20:04
Yes, I love those mags!! The UK magazines like Prog, Classic Rock, Mojo, UNCuT are way better than anything we have in the US. Like me, Prog seems to have an unnatural obsession with Pink Floyd, which makes me buy every mag they put The Floyd on! 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My take is that the magazine is useless for reading but I did get a great CD out of it one once which turned me on to a couple of groups like Mostly Autumn and some great prog metal groups that the Brits seem to be very high on. Seems like they dig prog metal more than we do in the States. Anyone from the UK care to comment on that or is it just an  illusion the magazine gives off.
The cover disc is essentially paid for by the artists and/or record labels (and the cover price of course). In this instance Inside/Out (owned by Century Media with world-wide distribution deal through EMI) plays the major part in that. The magazine will inevitably lean towards the artists and labels that pay the bills, hence the apparent emphasis on Progressive Metal. However Burning Shed also contribute to the cover discs to a lesser extend which goes some way to redressing the balance.

That's a fact Dean,
The cd with various artists that comes with the magazine is paid by the indie artists and/or record labels.
I know this from forehand experience with them.
4 years ago it would cost the artist minimum 300 pounds to have one track on the cd, costs do vary depending on the band and that was the minimum price.

Hug 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:12
Also they suck the life and fun out of reading reviews, good or bad they usually critique in a negative self righteous manner, as if themselves are the crème de la crème who studied music at Juilliard School. And the opposite of that in the same mag it seems that reviews of major big bands are done by fan boys with almost zero critique. Confused 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:25

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it.
I'll add that to my list of reasons. 

I think I've grabbed like four issues in total and they have never failed to disappoint. I find better writers about more interesting bands and scenes at PA, RYM and other places. I haven't kept any issues or CD's.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 00:35
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Not since one of their reviewers disparaged music not sung in English. As a non-native speaker of English and a language professional, I found this attitude so intolerable that I even wrote a blog post about it.

I think I've grabbed like four issues in total and they have never failed to disappoint. I find better writers about more interesting bands and scenes at PA, RYM and other places. I haven't kept any issues or CD's.

Wow thanks for quoting Raff, Saperlipopette! I missed that! Wow this makes my perception of them even less enthusiastic, really. To be honest I love certain tone of vocals as they can sound instrumental to me and doesn't matter what they actually mean, any language can make cry if it's good if the tone and instrumentals are right, also I don't like to be preached upon and this includes lyrics, thus language in terms of moozik unless preaching, it does not matter to me.

Hug 
Hug
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:04
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Wow thanks for quoting Raff, Saperlipopette! I missed that! Wow this makes my perception of them even less enthusiastic, really. To be honest I love certain tone of vocals as they can sound instrumental to me and doesn't matter what they actually mean, any language can make cry if it's good if the tone and instrumentals are right, also I don't like to be preached upon and this includes lyrics, thus language in terms of moozik unless preaching, it does not matter to me.

Hug 
Hug

I don't buy Prog or its mother mag CR (I rarely do, anyways)  for the reviews, but more for the main features. Of course, I will read some  (rarely satisfying) reviews, since I bought it for other purposes. 
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 04:27
I'd rather feed myself to a shark than read Prog magazine 

ew
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 08:54
^Why don't you just feed Prog magazine to the shark? ConfusedLOL
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:05
Why? To hear it talk all about how Steven Wilson is a prog genius? It's not worth it.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2015 at 09:22
^Word.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 03:30
Sadly not a good mag, but always pleased to read any article by the excellent Sid Smith, and enjoy his blog/podcast site. Top man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2015 at 16:30
My son has the last issue (number?) with a nice write up by Alan White on Chris Squire's passing. It's hard to believe they shared the rhythm section for Yes for over 40 years. Nice job.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>