Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PELICAN - 70s Icelandic band for symph? crossover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPELICAN - 70s Icelandic band for symph? crossover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PELICAN - 70s Icelandic band for symph? crossover?
    Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:52
Came across this obscure band from the 70s looking for the more modern day post metal band PELICAN

This band apparently had two albums in the mid-70s and they are from Iceland

I wouldn't exactly sell my kidney to find one of their albums but they seem to be progressive enough to be considered here at least.

Mind that they are a tad cheesy as well. Kind of a prog lite. Not much more i can find other than a few YouTube videos. Crossover maybe? Symphonic might be too generous. I realize this is borderline and doubt this will excite anybody including the herrings in the can. Only suggesting for archival completeness' sake

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/pelican_f1

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:53
Don't know why the videos sometimes post and sometimes don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYb4k0Y9GoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W097duePN6U
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 21:53
Well spotted my friend! Approve They belong here I think (just about!) - and Crossover is where they most likely will go.

Pétur Kristjánsson was the hardest-working rocker of the seventies. In a decade laden with frothy pop music, country ballads and disco, Pétur kept the rock and roll flames burning.
Son of fifties big band leader KK, Pétur soon took after his father, although he went for an altogether different musical direction. Pétur sang and played the bass. His first real band was Pops, a legendary cover band that has counted various members through the years and can still be found playing on occasion. Pops’ only release was a 7” in the early seventies, where the band teamed up with comedian Flosi Ólafsson on the novelty hit ‘Ţađ er geggjađ ađ geta hneggja’— (“It’s insane to be able to neigh”).

After Pops, Pétur did stints with Náttúra and Svanfríđur, but after Svanfríđur died off in 1973, Pétur formed his most famous rock band, Pelican. Right from the beginning Pelican was a popular band and had a sweet sailing at the Icelandic ball scene. In 1974 the band went to Massachusetts, USA, to record a LP at the Shaggy Dog Studio, where the reformed band Hljómar had already recorded its ill-fated country rock opus Hljómar 1974. In America, Pelican got in contact with various biz-people, and for awhile it looked like Pelican would sign a record deal and hit the big time.

In 1974, Pelican was the biggest band in Iceland. The first song from the album, “Jenny Darling”, was released on a single in the summer, a frisky number that went on to become Pétur’s signature song. The song was the hit of the summer and when the album “Uppteknir” (a word-play, can both mean “Unpacked” and “Busy”—the album cover featured the band inside a sardine tin), came out in the fall it became the best selling Icelandic album yet, shifting 11.000 units.

Being ultra popular in Iceland wasn’t enough, of course! The band wanted more: international fame. Pelican returned to Massachusetts in 1975 to record the follow-up album, Lítil fluga, (“Little fly”). The Americans booked the band on a nine date tour of the East Coast, where Pelican played for up to 1.000 people at a time. The band was assigned a legion of roadies, sound-men, lighting engineers, and so on—“the real deal”—and the members were in awe: “We got to glimpse the glory,” Pétur said later.

The band was offered various record deals and the chance to support bands such as the Allman Brothers and the Doobie brothers, and the albino brothers Johnny and Edgar Winter, too. Sweet times lay ahead, and the band returned to Iceland to play for their eager fans. One of the things that the Americans had been talking about was that Pétur wasn’t a good enough singer. Without him, and with a new singer, great things were sure to happen, they said. The other Pelican members took these speculations way too seriously and discussed the possibility of sacking the band’s founder. When Pétur heard this through the grapevine, he confronted his pals, ultimately leaving his own band as a result.

Naturally the news spread fast and people gasped—Pétur kicked from his own band? Pétur had all the pity, and Paradís, the band he formed fresh from the ejection, soon got to be the main band in Iceland, while Pelican with a new singer, Herbert Guđmundsson, quickly faded to obscurity.

Uppteknir (1974)

1. Theme (1:16)
2. Á Sprengisandi (3:11)
3. My Glasses (2:00)
4. Sunrise to Sunset (7:16)
5. Roll Down the Rock (3:26)
6. Golden Promises (5:38)
7. Living Alone (3:20)
8. Picture (1:40)
9. Jenny Darling (3:12)
10. Come My Way (2:41)
11. How Do I Get Out of N.Y.C. (2:01)
12. Amnesia (9:18)
13. Lady Rose (2:33)
14. Instrumental Love Song (2:48)
15. Time (2:42)

Total Time 53:02

Litil Fluga (1975)

1. Theme (1:24)
2. I Feel a Change (2:30)
3. Working to Find a Paradise (2:54)
4. Litla Flugan (2:20)
5. Warm August Night (5:47)
6. Anyman's Open Road (4:54)
7. You Can Go My Way (3:46)
8. Recall to Reality (4:17)
9. G. O. C. (2:53)
10. Silly Piccadilly (3:54)
11. Cloudscape (2:24)
12. Fall of a Fortress (2:24)

Total Time 39:27

- Pétur Kristjánsson / vocals
- Björgvin Gíslason / guitar
- Ómar Óskarsson / bass, guitar
- Ásgeir Óskarsson / drums
- Jón Ólafsson / bass
- Guđmundur Jónsson / guitar

Proggnosis have them...but not much of an entry: http://www.proggnosis.com/ARTIST_Detail.aspx?AID=4018. Ermm

Edited by yam yam - August 02 2014 at 00:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 22:32
Yam yam, you are a vurtuoso researcher. Splendid job!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 16:51
Did this go anywhere good or down the toilet?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 04:53
No, it didn't go anywhere good...but neither has it gone down the toilet. The problem we have these days is that since the departure of Chris (seventhsojourn) from the role of New Suggestions monitor at around this time last year, nobody has been recruited to replace him - which means that the farming out of any fresh suggestions that get posted is pretty much at the mercy of the teams themselves, as no suitably qualified collaborator is assigned the task of pre-evaluating them anymore  - and then notifing the teams that there is something here which might interest them via their own specific thread in the collab zone part of the forum (which us mere mortals with three stars or less cannot access, unfortunately). Some teams do regularly check this forum for any new suggestions that might fall on their turf - Prog Metal, Heavy Prog, Post Rock, and Neo Prog teams all have a keen leader who makes sure that he keeps an eye out for these new suggestions. Crossover and Symphonic used to be pretty reliable too, but lately they haven't been quite as thorough - and one or two suggestions have needed a second run through here in order to catch their eye (or ear, as the case may be). I myself have been known to drop subtle hints to various team members via private message when decent (imo) suggestions have passed through here apparently unnoticed, but I don't tend to do that quite so much these days.
Anyway - let's hope this suggestion gets picked up this time around (if the experts feel that it's proggy enough to take any further, that is). As I said before - I think it's more of a Crossover band than a Symphonic one - so that's the team who I feel will eventually step forward and hear these samples out. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 18:24
Well big puddle of pee pee. Should i just send suggestions directly to the proper departments and not even bother with the forum? Thanks for the explanation. It makes a doggy feel good

WOOF!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 19:44
It's certainly a way round the issue - you can post your suggestions directly into the team threads in the collab zone as a four-star Prog Reviewer, but I would really urge you to post them here as well - to give more of our membership the chance to get to know these newly-discovered bands and artists just in case they are later rejected 'behind the curtain', to minimise the risk of someone else suggesting them at some stage in the future because the forum 'search' function doesn't find the posts that have been made for the band/artist in the collab zone, and also for the often valuable feedback and extra information that the wider public can sometimes bring to the table in the open forum (eg friends of or band members themselves stumbling on the thread and adding a little additional history to the cauldron for us) - info that would never be received if the whole thing was carried out in secret. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 23:13
Ginormous swells of gratitude for that. Well explained and points taken :)

Woof!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 06:51
  Thumbs Up
Agust304 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 20:52
I wrote many of their songs.  They were all great musicians capable of doing any kind of music you could imagine.  Peter will long be missed and the others are still active. 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 05:48
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Did this go anywhere good or down the toilet?

Well, despite the massive roundup of missed suggestions that The Crossover team has bravely undertaken over the past few days or so, this one still seems to be lying in the porcelain pan, and thus remains in grave danger of being flushed round the bend. LOL There still doesn't seem to be an entry for them on progfreak - so here's hoping that one of the boys on the team will fish it out sharpish, shake off the adhering drips of water and any other possible nasties that might have gotten entangled with it...and hang it out to dry so that it can be evaluated with all the other old suggestions that have been unearthed by the team just recently. Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 07:56
^ Yam yam, where aren't you able to add them? You should be a four star starchy tubular veggie 

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 15:42
LOL! I can add them to progfreak, and I've done that: http://progfreak.com/Pelican-162217.html... but my fourth star has long-since ascended back up into the Heavens, and everything else that happens with this band is way out of my hands, I'm afraid. LOL Kev'll sort an evaluation out for us in due course though, I'm sure. Thumbs Up
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2015 at 16:33
Wow Agust!

So you were around that scene then back in the day.

Perhaps you could start up an Iceland thread here and inform us on something.

Like: were any of those marvelous lps (like Svanfridir,Nattura,Oddmen) actually not that rare in Icelandic shops back in the 70s?

Were there true Icelandic presses?

Yeah - and please tell me you brought a whole treasure-trove of Icelandic progs & fusion lps over to America - and are just waiting to trade vinyl with me!

Ever heard of the Paradys '76 lp?  Beautiful coverart but all sorts styles in the music.
Agust304 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 19:32
Actually, jacksiendanny, I have been looking for the Pardadis LP.  I wrote the Rabbits son on that album, a song that later, in the 1990s became a play.  The only reason I have Pelican disks and the Omar Oskarsson Middle Class Man LP is my little sister kept copies that I mailed from Iceland back to the States in the 70s.  We, as Pelican, without Petur, went to Denmark and signed a two year deal with Polydor.  We recorded at the famed Rosenberg (Sandy Denny and the Strawbs) studio.  The deal fell through when the head of the Denmark office got pinched for selling fake art.  And, to be honest, our lead guitarist got busted at the airport with hash.  We were just months away from a tour, opening for Blue Oyster Cult.  Dream cut short.  But, like I said, all of the rest of them are still very active (both the 1st Pelican and the 2nd PeilKan) and are all great musicians.

jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 19:47
Thanks Agust!

I marvel exceedingly at the fact that countries I consider small - Belgium,Iceland,Denmark - had in the early, early 70s such very strong protoprog roots. Perhaps -no, most likely - the reason for the frequency of bands in these countries is the same as for most other countries : down to a fair amount of , shall we say, inbreeding/crossover - members migrating from one band to another. Afterall, you can only have a limited supply of these extremely talented musicians.
 Post Reply Post Reply