Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 18:17
All my favourite Prog bands had some measure of popularity here in England, if not in the "pop" charts then at least at "grass-roots" level. I feel myself pretty fortunate that I got to see live gigs by so many bands that I like (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Van der Graaf Generator, The Enid, Tangerine Dream, Phil Manz & 801, Gong, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Uriah Heap, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, [early] ELO, Focus, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Marillion, Camel, Caravan, Anathema, Therion, Threshold, Jon Olivia, etc...) so I cannot complain.

Even though they were all released in the UK, it did take me a while to track-down and buy Amon Duul II albums back then, but that was part of the fun. Never did see them live - oh, hum :-(
What?
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 18:30
Umm, yeah, sadly, most of my favorite prog bands are pretty unappreciated in the US.  Most modern prog artists pretty much need to crowd fund their albums . . . and tours.  Some of the old classics did pretty good over here, but yeah, most of the new bands are lucky to draw a few hundred people to their shows.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 19:41
TMV
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

All my favourite Prog bands had some measure of popularity here in England, if not in the "pop" charts then at least at "grass-roots" level. I feel myself pretty fortunate that I got to see live gigs by so many bands that I like (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Van der Graaf Generator, The Enid, Tangerine Dream, Phil Manz & 801, Gong, Hawkwind, Ozric Tentacles, Uriah Heap, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, [early] ELO, Focus, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Marillion, Camel, Caravan, Anathema, Therion, Threshold, Jon Olivia, etc...) so I cannot complain.

Even though they were all released in the UK, it did take me a while to track-down and buy Amon Duul II albums back then, but that was part of the fun. Never did see them live - oh, hum :-(
Wow, Dean, that is impressive-you've lived through some real music history there. I have not seen any of my favorite bands in concert, unfortunately.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 21:13
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Wow, Dean, that is impressive-you've lived through some real music history there. I have not seen any of my favorite bands in concert, unfortunately.
I also lived through the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s - in that time I have seen (literally) hundreds of bands, some of the non-Prog bads are probably more favourite than some of the Prog bands I've listed but since this thread is in the Prog Lounge, I purposely omitted them. [Same for the Prog-related/Proto-prog artist such as Bowie, Black Sabbath, Metallicacaca, Ironing Maiden, The Move and Muse]

I neglected to add Nine Inch Nails, The Mars Volta, Sigor Ros and Tori Amos from my previous post - as I own almost the full discographies of all four of them that is probably an oversight.
What?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 21:15
You got to see TMV live..

Dean pls y u so kewl and lucky ;[[[
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 02:40
SMAK is my all time favourite progressive rock band here, and they are still very popular in Serbia. 

From their concert in Kombank Arena, Belgrade, December 2012  (20 000 of crowd).
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 05:00
In Australia,  the biggest prog bands in terms of "mainstream popularity" would be Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull (especiallly), Yes, Focus (yes Focus!), Blood, Sweat and Tears, Chicago, Roxy Music (if you put them in prog), Supertramp (ditto re prog credentials) and ELO (ditto again re prog cred). Of the new brigade, Radiohead are massive in Oz (as they are everywhere else), Mogwai are very popular as too The Muse but Porcupine Tree and Dream Theatre are less so......I think.

In Australia, Genesis (the prog years) did not rate before they went commercial. King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant and Uriah Heep were not really of the radar either in their heyday.

Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 08:03
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

^That's a SAD detail about many of you folks from my country, you just pointed out one of the main reasons for the lack of popularity of this genre: people don't give the slightest support to the brasilian prog bands. That's really UNACCEPTABLE.
EDIT: That said, the fact of liking them or not is a matter of personal taste, I could say that actually I'm not a fan of any of them - only some songs for me are OK - but I'd much rather have avoided this opinion , given the fact that at least some opportunity these brasilian bands should have had before and nowadays.

Sorry Junges, but I get very disappointed on the total inexistance of interest in the prog rock in our country.

Sorry again Doug that this is out of topic too...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Old_Wise_Owl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 12:22
Hi,
I am from Sweden. I should consider myself fortunate to be from a country which has fostered more than a few prog bands with international appeal in the last 20 years. Flower Kings, Opeth, Änglagård, Pain Of Salvation, Anekdoten, Beardfish to name just a few.
Being one of the major suppliers in the prog world of today, it may then come as a surprise to you, that you almost never hear any prog on any radio station or TV channel here, nor do you see any of them featured or interviewed in any Swedish newspaper or music magazine.
Prog is very much a cult underground thing here in Sweden, and if you want to find out what's going on in prog in Sweden, you need to check out the sites that specializes in prog.

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 14:23
Hummm... Can I mention some prog metal bands? I love the sound of Angra! Dynahead and Mindflow are awesome, too!
"Prog is Not Dead and never has been." (Will Sergeant, from Echo And The Bunnymen)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 14:39
Some of my favorite Prog bands, all from the UK, were almost unknown in the states but that was cool because I was able to see them at small venues like supper clubs and small theaters.

Edited by SteveG - August 04 2014 at 15:13
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 15:06
Return to Forever
Death
Atheist
Cynic
Symphony X

All incredibly popular progressive bands from The States. The middle three were huge on the East Coast, and the latter still tours on occasion to rather large turnouts. Return to Forever...need I say more?
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 16:43
Triumvirat were so popular here in Portugal that besides topping the charts with "Old Loves Die Hard", a bit of "Panic on 5th Avenue" was used as a jingle for the opening of Tv News at the national TV.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 17:11
Originally posted by elpprogster elpprogster wrote:

Triumvirat were so popular here in Portugal that besides topping the charts with "Old Loves Die Hard", a bit of "Panic on 5th Avenue" was used as a jingle for the opening of Tv News at the national TV.

I didn't know they were so popular here. I though only Genesis and Pink Floyd were, because of the portuguese prog bands they influenced.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I didn't know they were so popular here. I though only Genesis and Pink Floyd were, because of the portuguese prog bands they influenced.
I wonder if Triumvirat played any concerts in Portugal? Maybe during the 1975 European tour they did opening for Grand Funk? There was no real tour in support of Old Loves Die Hard, unfortunately.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 19:10
Originally posted by Old_Wise_Owl Old_Wise_Owl wrote:

Hi,
I am from Sweden. I should consider myself fortunate to be from a country which has fostered more than a few prog bands with international appeal in the last 20 years. Flower Kings, Opeth, Änglagård, Pain Of Salvation, Anekdoten, Beardfish to name just a few.
Being one of the major suppliers in the prog world of today, it may then come as a surprise to you, that you almost never hear any prog on any radio station or TV channel here, nor do you see any of them featured or interviewed in any Swedish newspaper or music magazine.
Prog is very much a cult underground thing here in Sweden, and if you want to find out what's going on in prog in Sweden, you need to check out the sites that specializes in prog.

Yes it has certainly gone downhill, sadly. But in the late 60s and early 70s I'd say that the big acts of the time were pretty huge.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 05:56
Rush was quite popular on US radio during the 80's and have always filled arenas for their concert tours.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 09:35

My favorite prog band for most of my life is Pink Floyd. Living in Florida in the late 70s to mid-80s, most would laugh when I said they were my favorite band. Why? Because I think of the word "pink" in the name. People would even ask me: Are they a gay band? Haha. Mind you, this was asked by people who loved Rush, Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. In my own personal experience, Floyd fanatics during that time period were few and far between in the US.

I think it was in the 1990s that it became "cool" in the US to namecheck Floyd, and young people in the US would brag about going to see Floyd in concert. In the last few years, suddenly there are Floyd t-shirts everywhere - they sell them in Walmart and JCPennys and other outlets. Tragic.

Floyd's such a household band now that if people ask me my favorite band, I would never say Floyd. (I say Burial. And I get blank stares of incomprehension. That's the way I like it. Still have never met an American who has heard Burial. [Anyway, he's not really prog...])

Edited by jude111 - August 05 2014 at 09:38
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 13:04
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I wonder if Triumvirat played any concerts in Portugal? Maybe during the 1975 European tour they did opening for Grand Funk? There was no real tour in support of Old Loves Die Hard, unfortunately.

No, Triumvirat didn´t play any concerts here supporting Spartacus or further; which is a real pity...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>