Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFave Prog Band's Popularity In Your Home Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 15:14
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

My favorite prog band for most of my life is Pink Floyd. Living in Florida in the late 70s to mid-80s, most would laugh when I said they were my favorite band. Why? Because I think of the word "pink" in the name. People would even ask me: Are they a gay band? Haha. Mind you, this was asked by people who loved Rush, Hendrix, Led Zep, etc. In my own personal experience, Floyd fanatics during that time period were few and far between in the US.
I think it was in the 1990s that it became "cool" in the US to namecheck Floyd, and young people in the US would brag about going to see Floyd in concert. In the last few years, suddenly there are Floyd t-shirts everywhere - they sell them in Walmart and JCPennys and other outlets. Tragic.
Floyd's such a household band now that if people ask me my favorite band, I would never say Floyd. (I say Burial. And I get blank stares of incomprehension. That's the way I like it. Still have never met an American who has heard Burial. [Anyway, he's not really prog...])

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123