Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Japan any more prog-related than say The Cure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Japan any more prog-related than say The Cure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 17:30
"3) Members of important progressive rock bands - Although most of the recorded solo output of artists like Greg Lake and David Gilmour falls more in a mainstream rock style, their contributions to progressive rock in their respective bands insures them a place in our prog-related genre. "

David Sylvian and Richard Barbieri were in the band,this enough merits inclusion under Prog-Related.

Edited by TheProgtologist - October 08 2014 at 17:31

Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 02:59
It's probably because Sylvian worked with Fripp, and Barbieri joined PT 
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 09:06
Whether or not a band's individual members release prog music, on their own time, shouldn't determine whether a band is included in the Archives.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 09:20
They were included because of their music, not because their members were/are involved with prog bands. Actually, they were first added in Crossover, before I was pressured into moving them to PR. As to why they're here, I'd suggest listening to their music before dismissing them because of their association with New Wave (whatever that means). My personal opinion is that a lot of bands tagged as New Wave were way more interesting/progressive than a lot of the stuff included here, but I am also against flogging dead horses.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:42
I say every musician is prog related. We all breathe the same air as Fripp, Wilson, Gilmour. We all share similar DNA therefore everyone is prog related. I expect to see Justin Bieber here soon
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 12:04
Let's turn this on it's head: had Japan been suggested for prog related today I'm fairly certain they would've been turned down. The only artists to get into PR these days are the ones who have made their mark on prog rock or similarly influenced it on a large scale.
PA was a very "lose" place back when bands like Japan, Mercury Rev and the likes were included, and we subsequently ended up with a lot of bands that shouldn't be here. Seeing as Max (the site owner) is the only one who can delete artists from the site, we are most likely going to see more of these threads 'Hey man! How come Mercury Rev and Metallica are here when Megadeath and The Tubes aren't?!?!???'
Best answer is: why start including bands because of mistakes that were made in the past?
The Cure were and are a wonderful and at times experimental post punk/new wave group, but including them because an act like Japan is here, makes no sense to me. I love both btw and could quite frankly live without Japan on PA (Iwould even prefer it - as it evidently sends the wrong message).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 14:16
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

They were included because of their music, not because their members were/are involved with prog bands. Actually, they were first added in Crossover, before I was pressured into moving them to PR. As to why they're here, I'd suggest listening to their music before dismissing them because of their association with New Wave (whatever that means). My personal opinion is that a lot of bands tagged as New Wave were way more interesting/progressive than a lot of the stuff included here, but I am also against flogging dead horses.

Exactly, Raff! In my opinion, artists like John Foxx, older Ultravox and Magazine are definitely proggy tinged but are not even mentioned. In fact , Foxx's music is futuristic even though much of it was created in the late 70s , early 80s. I have seen them in concert as well as Sylvian and I can guarantee that this is no rock n roll! Mick Karn is a brilliant technician who did as much for the bass guitar than Squire or Entwhistle but without a peep from anyone   
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 15:00
Mick Karn was a bass genius. I just need to think of him and bam his tone, sound and feel immediately emanates from back in my skull.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 15:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Mick Karn was a bass genius. I just need to think of him and bam his tone, sound and feel immediately emanates from back in my skull.

Well, that was a peep from someone !!! Sons of Pioneers is just what does that to me = Bam!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 17:04
Well, my guess is that Japan were quite more progressive than the Cure, both by having more indicated prog influences (Rob Dean's Fripp-esque solos, some keyboard parts), and incorporating astonishing inventive playing techniques (Mick Karn's bass, and also Steve Jansen's drumming) that were quite progressive. Also, "Quiet Life" preceeded and actually most of the similarly fashioned new wave records, so they weren't really copying anyone at that point of their career, and IMHO they succeeded in escaping the new wave wagon sonically with "Tin Drum". Yes, their image and some lyrics (mostly on first two clumsy glam albums that also hid some interesting and imaginative moments) aren't really digestible for a casual prog rocker, and even some band members, but I'd say they were quite progressive for late 70s/early 80s Brittish band.
I like some albums of the Cure, they were also inventive, atmospheric, and imaginative at some points of their career, but overall their playing is more simplistic, and they had much more derivative pop/rock songs than Japan.

And, as somebody already mentioned, I think Mick Karn (with and without Jansen & Barbieri) should be included on PA, his solo albums went further more into some uncategorizable territory between prog, fusion and new age without all that cheese that ruined Japan for many.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2016 at 03:38
Japan were a new romantic band, and with ma number of those bands they were quite progressive in their approach to making music. In that regard everyone from OMD to the Human League were "prog related" All of these bands grew up listening to Kraftwerk, Amon Duul, Can, Tangerine Dream etc and were just applying electronic music principles in a pop framework.

That said, Japan were a cut above the rest in terms of musicianship IMO. The Tin Drum album is also completely unique. Their Porcupine Tree connections aside, Jensen and Barbeiri released a string of rather progressive and thought provoking albums in the 90's (available by mail order only at the time) which I would classify as actual progressive rock. There were multiple projects involving the likes of Fripp in various combos with Japan members, so overall I think Japan have earned a prog related tag. The Cure, although inventive and an excellent band are closer to post punk, new wave, goth etc than prog rock.

Edited by Blacksword - September 16 2016 at 03:39
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12