Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [77.61%]
15 [22.39%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 09:40
Easy. The Dark Side of the Moon. Incredible album. Oldfield's Tubular Bells doesn't do much for me. Pink Floyd's music always hits me in the gut.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Good point but dont forget : TB is a instrumental album. DSOTM's filler (as you said) is lyrics and sound texture. More instruments used in TB and its difficult than DSOTM. I mean filler that you talked about in DSOTM isnt musical filler.
 OOH god please help me to explain my opinion better!! I wish you get my point octopus.
Hi, welcome back !

I think I get your point. I'm not saying that TB has fillers. I have just explained what I think it's its defect, and I think the same of many Oldfield's albums: discontinuity.

Then if we think to how young he was and to the fact that he has composed arranged and played everything in that album it's surely impressive, at least for the 70s when the available technology wasn't like today.
In Oldfield's discography what I personally consider a masterpiece is Song Of Distant Earth, but I also enjoy Platinum and Crisis a lot. The side-long tracks have more continuity. 

I also prefer Incantations to TB, but it's a subjective thing. I'm not saying that it's better or worse, only that I personally like it more.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 11:02
Tubular Bells is a milestone.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 14:35
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Good point but dont forget : TB is a instrumental album. DSOTM's filler (as you said) is lyrics and sound texture. More instruments used in TB and its difficult than DSOTM. I mean filler that you talked about in DSOTM isnt musical filler.
 OOH god please help me to explain my opinion better!! I wish you get my point octopus.
Hi, welcome back !

I think I get your point. I'm not saying that TB has fillers. I have just explained what I think it's its defect, and I think the same of many Oldfield's albums: discontinuity.

Then if we think to how young he was and to the fact that he has composed arranged and played everything in that album it's surely impressive, at least for the 70s when the available technology wasn't like today.
In Oldfield's discography what I personally consider a masterpiece is Song Of Distant Earth, but I also enjoy Platinum and Crisis a lot. The side-long tracks have more continuity. 

I also prefer Incantations to TB, but it's a subjective thing. I'm not saying that it's better or worse, only that I personally like it more.

Hi my friend. 
You got my point completely and explain my opinion better than me!! Its Very Interesting : Song of Distant Earth and Crisis and specially Platinum are my fav albums too. Platinum is a masterpiece (IMO).
You right about "Discontinuity" but this "Discontinuity" is one of good elements (IMO) in Mike's albums and I love this kind of "Long time songs" (not epic). Thanks octopus for your time and perfect answer.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:04
Just to be awkward I don't regard either as 'essential' particularly. DSOTM needs more instruments while TB is chock full of too much of everything. It took Mike only a year to realise that less is more while Pink Floyd a year later were creating the amazingly broad and beautifull Wish You Were Here. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:30
I'm surprised it's as close as it is.LOL Dark Side Of The MoonHeart
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just to be awkward I don't regard either as 'essential' particularly. DSOTM needs more instruments while TB is chock full of too much of everything. It took Mike only a year to realise that less is more while Pink Floyd a year later were creating the amazingly broad and beautifull Wish You Were Here. 
100% agree. Excellent point,
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 09:41

Dark Side 'needs' more instruments? I whole-heartedly disagree. It's fine just the way it is IMHO. It's guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums plus whatever strange sound-effects were thrown into the mix. Dark Side was a brilliant album made by a group of astonishing musicians.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Dark Side 'needs' more instruments? I whole-heartedly disagree. It's fine just the way it is IMHO. It's guitar, bass, keyboards, and drums plus whatever strange sound-effects were thrown into the mix. Dark Side was a brilliant album made by a group of astonishing musicians.

Well, I would like that Dark Side has more "instrumental sections" (not more instruments), but "I would like" not means "it is necesary". Actually in Dark side of the moon, everything is on the right place, and as you say is a brilliant album, and with all the respect for Tubular Bells (great album too) if one of them would a milestone, it is Dark Side of the Moon.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 13:03

We compare in this section. This isnt "exclusive" about DSOTM . 
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 05:53
Dark Side but Tubular Bells pretty underrated on PA (compared to other Mike Oldfield albums) Smile
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2014 at 11:00
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Well, I would like that Dark Side has more "instrumental sections" (not more instruments), but "I would like" not means "it is necesary". Actually in Dark side of the moon, everything is on the right place, and as you say is a brilliant album, and with all the respect for Tubular Bells (great album too) if one of them would a milestone, it is Dark Side of the Moon.

Hi. Using more instruments in music cant be a good "measure" for compare or rating (IMO), but how to use these instruments is important. Mike Oldfield's TB is a good example of "Prefect music by using long range of Instruments" (IMO) and we can discuss about that. 
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 11:28

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12