Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What are your favorite unappreciated Prog albums?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat are your favorite unappreciated Prog albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 12:16
Drama and Magnification - Yes
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 14:53
Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford and Howe - ST
Yes - Big Generator
King Crimson - Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair
Genesis - Abacab

All from the eighties and all much maligned.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 15:45
Yes - 90125
Genesis - We Can't Dance
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell (i feel like)

sorry, that's all i could think of.....OOOHH

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

hey, it is prog-related isn't it?!
Progrockdude
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:10
Lets start with:

Italian one shot wonder Sunscape and its self-titled release

State Urge- White Rock Experience

John G. Perry- Sunset Wading and Seabird

Lebowski- Cinematic 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:17
Then we have     

Both Xang albums- Destiny of a Dream and The Last of Lasts

Carpe Nota- same

Patrick Broguiere- Mont St-Michel

Cosmos Dream- How to Reach Infinity

Exodus- Most Beautiful Day 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:27
and 

Italian one shot wonder Foglie di Vetro and its self-titled release

From.uz- Sodom & Gomorrah

Final Conflict- Return of the Artisan

Isotope- Illusion

Mad Fellaz- same

Both Resonaxis albums – same and Hymnarium

Minstrel- Faust 

Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 10:09
Carmen - Fandangos in Space is a groundbreaking album in flamanco prog. Sounds kinda like Jethro Tull in places since they toured with Tull in the early 70s, but really, a average rating under 4.00 is ludicrous. One of my favorites.
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2015 at 12:28
How about... 
The Beach Boys - Endless Summer and Pet Sounds

Just one example, overappreciated is underappreciated, and I call this "Sgt. Pepper Syndrome." 

I have a friend who is a huge Animal Collective fan. He's an independent artist who makes EDM, and almost everything he listens to is contemporary. Basically, he pigeonholed the Beach Boys as AM radio nostalgia. Although I played these two records frequently while we worked together, he never heard them. Then one day, after reading a "cool review" by a "cool writer," I played them again. That's what it took to bring out the brilliance to him. He needed somebody else (not me, I'm not cool) to open his mind to the possibility of the Beach Boys. Then it was like a ray of light. He appreciated both groups (BB and AC) in new dimensions. We talked for a while and he asked me to recommend other discs and artists. There is a lot of other stuff out there that suffers similarly. Either the artist or the album, or a song off the album, became so big that it's colored our interpretation of it in ways that we might not be aware is happening. 

That's why... and I hope I don't offend anyone here... why I butt heads with the All Music Guide, and similar all-encompassing guides. Their writers don't always foster understanding or encourage digestion, so much as they levy an arbitrary value judgement on a creative work of art. That's at the core of appreciation. I appreciate Ozu, although I don't particularly enjoy all of his movies. I appreciate Sting, although I don't particularly care for Mr. Sting's works. There is value in everything and this is seperate from taste. I go out and see for myself what these things mean and where thhey fit into their time and in my time. I do the leg work because I enjoy it. Not everyone does, or can do it (CAN! I'm doing Saw Delight right now). So when writers say something is "nonessential," "for hardcore fans only," or "not the best example and you can pass it up" etc., I find this is destructive to music appreciation. 
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2015 at 22:43
Go out on a limb here..

Considering John Tout just passed away and I am currently listening to Ashes Are Burning, I have a big soft spot for the Renaissance albums from the 80s (which Ashes is not). I know, it doesn't have Tout. But I love Camera Camera. I think it's a unique rendering of a band that formed in the late 60s reinventing itself in the 80s (a symphonic prog band on IRS no less) in a way that wasn't really awful. It's not always effective to prove a point by counterexample but let's look at the other examples. The integration of new production techniques and stylistic crossover in the 80s from extant groups of the 70s wasn't always pretty! At least in a retrospective sense, Camera Camera is relevant in a way that stands on its own merits. It's really enjoyable to hear and might lead fans of 80s synth pop into the seminal Renaissance albums of the 70s. A thought. 
I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 06:35
A good yardstick to apply (for those old enough) is to consider when you stopped buying albums by bands 'on release'.  If you take the 'big four' for instance, for me it was:  ELP - Works Vol. 1; Yes - 90125; Genesis - Duke and Pink Floyd - The Wall.  As a teenager, record buying took resources and after these albums, I decided not to invest in these bands any more.  Interestingly, I returned eventually with Emerson, Lake and Powell, AWBH and 'Momentary Lapse of Reason'.  I did not go back to Genesis unless you count 'Three Sides Live'.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345