Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Remasters, Remixes and importance of the Original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemasters, Remixes and importance of the Original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 10:54
There was some remasters of Genesis albums done in the past, Nursery Cryme 1994 remaster I remember, and this process carried the tracks to a worst condition than the originals. The new remasters are totally differents. So the process could be better or worst deppending on the case. About King Crimson ITCOTCK, I can't see a big improvment. For me, if the remaster implies an improvment in the sound, I do not care much about the original sound.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 12:28
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

180g vinyl "sounds" as good as those gold colored CD's of the 90's

They are different. SACD's offer a more 'surround sound' approach, so the music is more channeled off creating a massive separating, wide sound stage. However SACD's don't sound as 'real' cause the resolution is so damn high it sounds a little fake and compressed. The definition and clarity is amazing, but I would take the 180g pressing anyday.
It's not that it's better. It's just different. A difference that I love. SACD's are a pure digital feed.
They are the same as an 5.1 mix DVD in either Dolby or DTS 5.1.

It was a joke!
If you remember back in the 90's there was a period when CDs were being issued as gold CD's had nothing to do with SACD. It was because the aluminum layer in the disc was actually rotting away, they called it "CD Rot". So some started to make that layer with gold to avoid the rot, plus also stated it sounded better....I never thought it added any sonic qualities.

Now on to 180g vinyl. Again, I am not sure it adds any sonic qualities, it does add some longevity to the LP as JD states because it is thicker, beefier. Like the gold vs aluminum in the CDs, it will last longer.
Warped vinyl is not an issue if you use a clamp or weight to hold the LP down firmly on the platter, of course a badly warped record may still exhibit a less than pristine sound. Those very thin LPs like 100-110g are fine, again as long as it is flat while playing.

Not 100% sure if the 180g allows deeper groove cuts, probably, but you can still only go so deep. What has really helped IMO is that most reissues are dbl LP's on 180g. No need to squeeze all that music onto 1 LP where those end tracks can exhibit sibilance because the circle is getting smaller and the rotation is faster, the cartridge has a tough time tracking inner grooves.....Google Inner Groove Distortion. It is so critical to align your cartridge to that inner point when using a 2-point protractor to align, once done correctly it is all good and glorious!

Do I prefer 180g over standard weight...absolutely!!! But the mastering is what makes it sound better.

Sterling Sound has a nice quick tutorial on their process for mastering, excellent read and its why I think next to Bob Ludwig, the Sterling Sound engineers are the best. Greg Calbi and the late George Marino have done incredible work.

http://sterling-sound.com/mastering/

Cheers!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 08:04
Hi,

So far ... not one single "remix" or "remaster" has come close to giving us anything worth while listening to that made the music that much better.

In the end, this is no different than (sometimes) hearing this piece in the hands of a different conductor, and it does not mean a whole lot to me. The main thrust of the music is already upon my mind ... so hearing Stokowski, Karajhan, Leinsdorf, Osawa, Previn, Bernstein or anyone else pulling it off, makes no difference at all.  In the end, the music has to survive on its own, not on Steven Wilson's ego, or anyone else's. Sorry Steve ... but your doing was very trivial, and not necessary! Stick to your own band!

Still, nothing compares to the one "mix" that was different. The Bealtes "Sgt Pepper", and PF's "Dark Side of the Moon" were magnificent and clean on the original LP release in England. The American version was found in the ditch next to the sewers in NY, and had a lot of crap on it. All the cool bits of dialogue and background stuff was almost gone. Guess what you got on the "remix" or "remaster" (who gives a crap!)? on these albums? ... the original English pressing, and not a word out of place.

I have the LP's if you ever want to compare!

It's a pathetic rip off!

The music is the medium ... not the pressing or the mixing/mastering!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 16:32
^

Edited by SteveG - August 12 2014 at 14:28
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 16:40
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

There was some remasters of Genesis albums done in the past, Nursery Cryme 1994 remaster I remember, and this process carried the tracks to a worst condition than the originals. The new remasters are totally differents. So the process could be better or worst deppending on the case. About King Crimson ITCOTCK, I can't see a big improvment. For me, if the remaster implies an improvment in the sound, I do not care much about the original sound.

I really thought the original of Nursery Cryme was kind of muddy, and the 94 remaster was even worse. But the newest remix/master totally cleans that up and it sounds a whole lot crisper than it ever did before. Another one, and this one has changed my opinion of the album a great deal, is the Vapour Trails remix. The original was mixed horridly but the new mix is much, much better. Some of the songs I didn't like before, I like now.

On the other hand, there are some remasters that are simply awful. I got a new remaster of Jefferson Airplane's Bark recently and it sounds as if it was remixed with the volume all the way up at 11, the bass turned off and the treble turned to maximum. It's actually painful to the ears above a certain (low) volume level.

Edited by The Doctor - August 08 2014 at 16:43
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2014 at 17:04
Agree with The Doctor....consensus was the original early Genesis albums were veiled with a muddy sound. The Rhino vinyl remasters I have are excellent, the detail of music and what you hear is amazing. I just finished listening to SEBTP and More Fool Me is stunning!

Vapor Trails does sound a whole lot better..I never really had any issue with my original CD, but I can sure hear a big improvement now with the vinyl version. I actually hear new bits and pcs here and there...
As far as albums that have multiple remasters, you really have to research on different forums and see which version people agree has the best sound, usually they agree too which sounds bad and to stay away from.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 15:05

They are different. SACD's offer a more 'surround sound' approach, so the music is more channeled off creating a massive separating, wide sound stage. However SACD's don't sound as 'real' cause the resolution is so damn high it sounds a little fake and compressed. The definition and clarity is amazing, but I would take the 180g pressing anyday.
It's not that it's better. It's just different. A difference that I love. SACD's are a pure digital feed.

It was a joke!
If you remember back in the 90's there was a period when CDs were being issued as gold CD's had nothing to do with SACD. It was because the aluminum layer in the disc was actually rotting away, they called it "CD Rot". So some started to make that layer with gold to avoid the rot, plus also stated it sounded better....I never thought it added any sonic qualities.

Now on to 180g vinyl. Again, I am not sure it adds any sonic qualities, it does add some longevity to the LP as JD states because it is thicker, beefier. Like the gold vs aluminum in the CDs, it will last longer.
Warped vinyl is not an issue if you use a clamp or weight to hold the LP down firmly on the platter, of course a badly warped record may still exhibit a less than pristine sound. Those very thin LPs like 100-110g are fine, again as long as it is flat while playing.

Not 100% sure if the 180g allows deeper groove cuts, probably, but you can still only go so deep. What has really helped IMO is that most reissues are dbl LP's on 180g. No need to squeeze all that music onto 1 LP where those end tracks can exhibit sibilance because the circle is getting smaller and the rotation is faster, the cartridge has a tough time tracking inner grooves.....Google Inner Groove Distortion. It is so critical to align your cartridge to that inner point when using a 2-point protractor to align, once done correctly it is all good and glorious!

Do I prefer 180g over standard weight...absolutely!!! But the mastering is what makes it sound better.

Sterling Sound has a nice quick tutorial on their process for mastering, excellent read and its why I think next to Bob Ludwig, the Sterling Sound engineers are the best. Greg Calbi and the late George Marino have done incredible work.

Cheers!
I agree with you Jose about grooves only being cut so deep as I know that you realize that hot vinyl is actually stamped, but anything that controls Wow is a plus and is welcome in vinyl playback. I think Ludwig, except for one very shrill sounding album I have, and Calbi are great. I cannot say the same for the late Marino. I have quite a few turkeys mastered by him.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Thanks Steve, I'm certainly no Alan Parsons or Eddie Offord, but I've had my fingers in it on and off for many years (decades actually, egad!) Always happy to share knowledge that I have and to gain it from those more in the know than I.

Groove on, my friend. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:09

It was a joke!

Cheers!

Sorry. That actually went over my head. The joke I mean. I wasn't really sure since you said you don't play around with 5.1 audio set ups. My apologies. Your response is as accurate as can be. Well played.
Long story short. The mastering is huge and Ludwig is definitely one of the bigger fish in that mastering pond. :)
He mastered 'Hold your Fire' by RUSH. That album's first remaster series sounds quite brilliant.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:16

My problem with the newer Genesis remixes/remasters is the compression which seems to rob the music of a lot of subtlety. Also, each song is mixed at the same level: LOUD, LOUD, and more LOUD. After awhile, I started to realize that these remixes aren't all they cracked up to be. I mean they do provide a different sound than the original mix, but that's all. They will not replace the originals IMHO. The original CDs were much warmer and you can listen to them for a prolonged period of time without ever feeling tired. The overall dynamics on the original CD issues are also much better to me. While I stated on another thread that I liked these remixes for the different sound-world they provide, I feel that they can't even begin to touch the originals and I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I would like Steven Wilson to get ahold of these classic Genesis albums and then maybe can get a remix that doesn't make my ears bleed.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 11 2014 at 17:36
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:48
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

My problem with the newer Genesis remixes/remasters is the compression which seems to rob the music of a lot of subtlety. Also, each song is mixed at the same level: LOUD, LOUD, and more LOUD. After awhile, I started to realize that these remixes aren't all they cracked up to be. I mean they do provide a different sound than the original mix, but that's all. They will not replace the originals IMHO. The original CDs were much warmer and you can listen to them for a prolonged period of time without ever feeling tired. The overall dynamics on the original CD issues are also much better to me. While I stated on another thread that I liked these remixes for the different sound-world they provide, I feel that they can't even begin to touch the originals and I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I would like Steven Wilson to get ahold of these classic Genesis albums and then maybe can get a remix that doesn't make my ears bleed.

The Rhino half speed remasters by Nick Davis are pretty sweet! My originals are now put away for safe keeping...
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:54

The Rhino half speed remasters by Nick Davis are pretty sweet! My originals are now put away for safe keeping...

My dad owns all the Genesis albums (or the ones from Trespass to ..And Then There Were Three...) on vinyl and these puppies sound sweet, but I'm still a CD man at the end of the day. I like these original CDs.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 11 2014 at 17:55
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 18:22
^ That is all that matters....your ears!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 01:10

My dad owns all the Genesis albums (or the ones from Trespass to ..And Then There Were Three...<em style="font-style: italic; ">) on vinyl and these puppies sound sweet, but I'm still a CD man at the end of the day. I like these original CDs.

Do you have a DAC by chance when you listen to the Nick Davis mixes/remasters?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12