FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagic The Gathering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 11:51
^Both great cards.

Here's a valid question; do you guys prefer to run high, mid, or low mana curves most of the time?

I'm already quire fond of mana-ramping, and building in multiple strategies should something get taken out on me. More mana is always better than less; I've had a habit of mana-screwing myself in my first couple of decks. You'll always lose with less mana, but you can sometimes turn things around if you've got plenty running.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:14
^ But also games where you have only lands on your hand and nothing to play are annoying LOL
It depends a lot on the average mana cost of the cards: for example on one of my decks a can do a lot with three lands but on the other I can't do much without five.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:50
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

So here's my latest green/blue deck: elves to ramp mana, creatures with multiply and deathtouch, and big guys to trample and maximize damage with, all while balancing with some blue counters to negate and cancel an opponent's attempt to rid the field of any heavy-hitters/waste their mana:

Here's some friendly criticisms that'll help out your deck. 

Creatures:

Your curve heading to mid-game is a little off. I would remove Sable and Scorpian. There are 1000000 better choices for a two drop than a 2/1 with no effect. Scorpian is okay, but with your emphasis on mid/late game you want your mystics to be the real 1 drop your looking for. Add a fourth Mystic in if you have it. You will prolly be able to skip the two drops looking at the choices you have for M15. Runeclaw Bear isn't good enough either. 

I would remove Hornet Queen. At that mana cost, atleast for your deck - you're going to want a real game ender. That's not going to do the job for you. So i would just look for either a new replacement or add another copy of a big creature you already have in your deck. 

Spells:

If you can, remove negates for four copies of Cancel. You may need to tweak the Island count in your deck to allow some blue spell emphasis but it'll prolly help you out in the end. 
Cards like Dissipate, Naturalize, Turn to Frog, Encrust, and maybe even Hunter's Ambush. 

Overall i would just remove Rise of Eagles for sure, not a good card. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 16:12
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

So here's my latest green/blue deck: elves to ramp mana, creatures with multiply and deathtouch, and big guys to trample and maximize damage with, all while balancing with some blue counters to negate and cancel an opponent's attempt to rid the field of any heavy-hitters/waste their mana:

Here's some friendly criticisms that'll help out your deck. 

Creatures:

Your curve heading to mid-game is a little off. I would remove Sable and Scorpian. There are 1000000 better choices for a two drop than a 2/1 with no effect. Scorpian is okay, but with your emphasis on mid/late game you want your mystics to be the real 1 drop your looking for. Add a fourth Mystic in if you have it. You will prolly be able to skip the two drops looking at the choices you have for M15. Runeclaw Bear isn't good enough either. 

I would remove Hornet Queen. At that mana cost, atleast for your deck - you're going to want a real game ender. That's not going to do the job for you. So i would just look for either a new replacement or add another copy of a big creature you already have in your deck. 

Spells:

If you can, remove negates for four copies of Cancel. You may need to tweak the Island count in your deck to allow some blue spell emphasis but it'll prolly help you out in the end. 
Cards like Dissipate, Naturalize, Turn to Frog, Encrust, and maybe even Hunter's Ambush. 

Overall i would just remove Rise of Eagles for sure, not a good card. 

Very valid criticism, and ironically, I considered several of the cards like Turn to Frog and Naturalize.

In all honesty, I'd never consider playing any card - very rarely - if it doesn't have some sort of built in secondary effect. That's why Sedge Scorpion rules. I DID debate over a fourth mystic, and I probably will do that now, because I will need the mana ramp. My biggest mistakes in the past were just picking low-cost mana cards that had very low resilience value; they just take up space in the deck and have no real function. I think interacting with the player and either forcing them to take damage - even if it's 1 - or lose a creature, is HUGE to sweeping the game ASAP.

My thoughts were that Hornet Queen is awesome for having those 4 1/1 deathtouch hornets out on the field, and sort of overwhelming opponent into not being able to take out all of those threats - especially if I get two out there. Same with Rise of Eagles and Wolfpack - my strategy/mission statement for this deck is to overwhelm, and I figure that raises my chances of doing so. If I have lots of death touch creatures, I can dismember their army quickly/take out heavy hitters with minimal sacrifice, then trample for the win.

Rise of eagles + Stormtide should be obvious, granted I draw both. If not, hopefully I'd have a wave of hornets going. The wolfpack card is nuts IMHO.

Terra Stomper has won several games for me before, and I'm looking to clear a path to just go on an all out attack with him and a swarm of hornets, wolves, etc - not necessarily all at once, but my odds improve of getting an overwhelming amount of creatures going, and having the means to re-ramp a second wave if they do get taken out by sorceries. I agree that more blue spells are better, but I only have two cancel card currently. Massive growth and trample has won games for me alone before, and I can see how a turn to frog before a trample would be beneficial.

I put the Sable in there because it's a low-cost artifact creature, and I despise intimidate creatures more than anything, and all my friends play red decks with intimidate creatures. If there is a better way to counter intimidate, let me know!

If there's a better way to execute the strategy I've mentioned above, I'm all ears! I also only have so many cards on hand to work with; I should upload my inventory then post that here.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 20 2014 at 16:19
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 00:17
Austin, why are you recommending someone to play Cancel? Dissolve is strictly better.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 00:19
To answer the question on mana curve preference: it depends.

If I'm playing Modern, the height of my curve is 4 mana for Cryptic Command, and that's for a control deck.
If I'm playing EDH, I need to even it out, but 4 drops will be common as will larger spells.
If I'm drafting, 2 or 3 is ideal.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 06:56
^Awesome info, Luna.

Dissolve is an awesome card, I don't think I have any atm though. That's a great example of what I was talking about earlier in regards to extracting maximum value from a card relative to mana cost. I see no point in playing anything that doesn't have at least one secondary effect. 

Hornet's Nest rules, I don't care for any negativity towards that card at all, lol. Bouncing a Hornet Queen (or two) back and forth off the field with something like say, Quickling or Roaring Primadox can be extremely effective as well. I suppose my new strategy is aggro/overwhelm with some built in cancel/negate spells to prevent my opponent from fully clearing the field of all my threats.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 21 2014 at 06:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:43
Totally pulled this from a booster today:

My first ever planeswalker card Tongue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:46
Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:57
I guess that's a pretty solid pull, considering I paid $4 for a booster, and that card is worth approximately $17 LOL.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:32
The best card I've pulled from a booster was this one:

I bought some Avacyn Restored boosters because I was trying to pull this one Tongue:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:36
^Yes, both awesome!

Boosters are such a crap-shoot; I literally cussed so excitedly when I pulled that Ajani LOL

So how exactly do planeswalker cards work? Lots of new numbers and counters that I need to learn about Big smile.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:20
The planeswalker is another player that has life, in your case starts with 4 and it has a turn (I think it's after yours) where it can make one of those three actions: the first action gives it life and the others make it lose life. The strategy is to gain life until you can do the -7 action. When an opponent attacks he/she can choose to attack you and/or the planeswalker, but since it doesn't control any creatures you'll have to block with yours.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The planeswalker is another player that has life, in your case starts with 4 and it has a turn (I think it's after yours) where it can make one of those three actions: the first action gives it life and the others make it lose life. The strategy is to gain life until you can do the -7 action. When an opponent attacks he/she can choose to attack you and/or the planeswalker, but since it doesn't control any creatures you'll have to block with yours.

That's what I thought! So it's like another player that's on your side. Also, I like how the game refers to the player him/herself as "plansewalker". That makes total sense. So it just has 4 life (in this case), and takes a turn after me; it doesn't control any creatures, but can be attacked via spells or "target" sorcery/instants from opposing player? I.e. they can't just attack it directly? So after that first turn, if it did that +4, it would be at 8 for the next turn, and could do that -7 move?
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:34
Originally posted by Luna Luna wrote:

Austin, why are you recommending someone to play Cancel? Dissolve is strictly better.

Because his card pool is from M15 not Theros. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:40

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

That's what I thought! So it's like another player that's on your side. Also, I like how the game refers to the player him/herself as "plansewalker". That makes total sense. So it just has 4 life (in this case), and takes a turn after me; it doesn't control any creatures, but can be attacked via spells or "target" sorcery/instants from opposing player? I.e. they can't just attack it directly? So after that first turn, if it did that +4, it would be at 8 for the next turn, and could do that -7 move?

I'm not totally sure if it's after your turn.
The sorcerys/instants from the opponent must say "target planeswalker" (not player). Like this one:

Isn't the first action +1? I think you'll need four turns to have 8
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:47
I hope i've haven't been playing this wrong this entire time, but i've never heard of this Planeswalkers' turn thing. 

His abilities can be used on your turn (you control him) at the time of a sorcery spell. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:53
You're probably right. I don't have any planeswalkers, I just remember playing against some. I think they did it like that to look like it's an actual player Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 17:59
Meldowner; I mistyped those numbers; I totally meant +1.

That sorcery card is the perfect example.

I had a hunch planeswalker's were used like sorcery cards as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:20
I'm sorry that I was incorrect.
I finished reading the official rules and I understand now the second action.
I thought last year about getting this one, it's quite cheap for a planeswalker:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>