Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMany IQ albums sound the same.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
musitron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 14:08

Many IQ albums sound the same.

Yes but this is true for most of the bands. But I think the latest (2014) is a good one.
“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Dark Side Radio - Best new Prog 2015 mixed with good old stuff. - www.live365.com/stations/young_gun
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:20
I've always chalked it up to consistency, but it's true; a lot of it does sound very similar.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 06:11
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ever possibly their greatest album.

It's certainly my favorite, followed by The Wake. I haven't heard TRoB yet. The other albums are good, but IMHO they haven't topped Ever. And Subterranea was like a salad that was much too large, and you kept waiting to get to the meat.

I'm a vegetarian, then. But The Narrow Margin is well worth the wait, and what went before is captivating.

"All neo prog albums sound the same". Sorry - indefensible. They are just as varied as the classic prog offerings by any major band were, except King Crimson.

"All their songs are modelled on The Cinema Show, Supper's Ready and The Musical Box" - well, these are not bad examples to work from, but it's just not true. IQ's material is actually enormously varied in both musical style and lyrical atmosphere. Sure, they'll have listened to those tracks, but their own tracks are neither slavish copies or endless reworkings of the same ideas.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 08:16
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ever possibly their greatest album.

It's certainly my favorite, followed by The Wake. I haven't heard TRoB yet. The other albums are good, but IMHO they haven't topped Ever. And Subterranea was like a salad that was much too large, and you kept waiting to get to the meat.

"All neo prog albums sound the same". Sorry - indefensible.

Don't feed the troll.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 10:59
That's Like saying all Muslim extremists Have Beards, are circumcised and have read the Koran and the Hadith (or at least the bits which say - Kill the Infidels!!) Eh? Whats that?

I like any band that tries to copy Suppers Ready - I love Harvest of Souls BECAUSE it's so much like suppers ready!!!
They are consistently the 2nd best Second/Third/Fourth/Fifth and Sixth Phase Symphonic prog band (The Flower Kings are first IMO) Road of Bones is Ace and I am going to see them Live! What else is there to say?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 19:00
great points of view M27Barney, IQ are a great sounding Prog rock band.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
decypher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 00:06
It's funny, I was thinking the same the other day, listening to "The Last Human Gateway" after having "The Road of Bones" on heavy rotation, all of the sudden I just thought "hell, they didn't evolve at all?!", I mean those "return to the major theme lead synths" in "Last Human Gateway" and "Without Walls" are so similar... but then I do appreciate it that a band actually has trademarks like these that define their sound, especially over a timeframe of almost 30 years (although I have to say that I absolutely LOVE "Nomzamo" and "Are you sitting comfortably?" as well, they are a very adequate piece of history of one of my favorite bands with some totally amazing songs ("Wurensh", "Human Nature", "Nostalgia/Falling..." and quite a few more).
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2014 at 08:37
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

That's Like saying all Muslim extremists Have Beards, are circumcised and have read the Koran and the Hadith (or at least the bits which say - Kill the Infidels!!) Eh? Whats that?

I like any band that tries to copy Suppers Ready - I love Harvest of Souls BECAUSE it's so much like suppers ready!!!
They are consistently the 2nd best Second/Third/Fourth/Fifth and Sixth Phase Symphonic prog band (The Flower Kings are first IMO) Road of Bones is Ace and I am going to see them Live! What else is there to say?

This is why I love you Rob . . . and not in like a man to man love kind of way . . . not that there's anything wrong with that.  Seriously though, I get the allure of 'Harvest of Souls', there's a lot of IQ that seems like a continuation of Genesis had they not gone pop.  I just think that song is a little too much of a clone.
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 11:17
I think IQ have evolved considerably.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 14:59
Well, I think Ever and Subterannea are very similar in style, approach, production, and overall sound.  Of course, one is a double CD concept piece, and the other is not.  Other than that, I'm not really hearing much difference in essential musical presentation.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, as MANY bands stick to their basic style.  I do think, my feeling about the above two albums aside, that IQ have evolved over the years.  I just think there is never much question about what you are going to get..........which is why I keep buying their albums, incidentally.  Great band.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 15:12
I may possibly re-visit a lot of the IQ stuff prior to seeing them live! But obviously they will play a lot from ROB which is a very good and listenable double CD - doesn't have any SKIP tracks for me anyway. I have just completed an ear-over of the first three Moon Safari CD's - and I think that some of the instrumental parts are sublime - however I hate the singing (solo and in that horrid A Cappella) - Clearly trying hard to sound like a boy band trying to drench the drawers of a hall full of teenage girls!!! especially Lover's End - truly awfully soppy lyrics and just as bad as Morse's god bothering tripe!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:42
IQ are riding high and have made one incredible album that is very impressive for a band that has had a 30 year career.
Over the last 5 years IQ have put out some of their very best music, so it's no wonder people are gonna find any little thing to try and pick them a part. Well I'm sorry. I'm so naysayer or negative nancy, so saying that ALL IQ albums sound roughy the same is complete rubbish to me. IQ are one of those rare bands that everyone should at least respect.
They deserve a lot from us fans, and we should be giving them full admiration and adulation for what they've done for modernized symphonic Prog rock and for releasing an absolutely fantastic album for 2014, which was easily worth a 5-year wait.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 15:26
The ROB title track is growing on me a lot - very ambient and moody!
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 10:16
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! life`s been out of control as I`m under the hospital for on going issues, the one extra special friendship which is the progressive rock music, as its an exit from all of the darkest, bleakest, lowest times of all of life`s LOWS I`ll just put myself within the music of one of the prog bands I`ve gotten into and take myself out of the cycle of life, for a short time/times for the album time you now 45/80+ mins... ones of great escape`s is ROB/SH
yes TFTO genesis TLLDOB + many more other too!. is there are many of us whom feel lost find there way within the music...

Music Is Live

<
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 02:41
^sorry to hear about your troubles. Prog is indeed a great comfort.Get well soonHug
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 05:44
Haha - Maybe Prog is the cause of his troubles....Maybe he didn't take her seriously when she said "Play that intolerably long and weird Tales from tobies garden of dreams or whatever and I'll stick the fecking CD up your arse!" - I find that Laughter is ALWAYS the best medicine - Whatever Geek's troubles are - lets hope that they are resolved a lot quicker than attempting to listen to all Seventies prog tracks....in Alphabetical ORDER!!! - Haha....
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 19:06
thank you M27Barney, I LOL on reading your post I like all of you am a ptog freak so listening to all that `70`s tracks yep I`d like it...

Music Is Live

<
DreamInSong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2014 at 14:03
It strikes me that if a band keeps a consistent sound, and is consistently good, it must be a style that consistently inspires them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 13:36
Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope beating IQ out for album of the year? Musical masterbation over melody?
Not me.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 16:09
Well I'm off to see them this Saturday night - in the Lancashire mill town of Bury.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>