Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKC's Islands: Treasure or Trash?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 13:47
It has 2 great songs (Sailor's Tale and the title track) and 1 decent song (Gulls), but the rest is just meaningless vocal practices and aimless instrumentation if you ask me.
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 15:46
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

What many people can't relate to is the concept and because the music has to follow that concept by being different from the other albums, people find it dull. Why would someone be personally interested in Islands and find it to be the ultimate Crimson release? I believe it has to do with the person's interest in the ocean's lifeforce and the overall history of events which took place on the sea centuries ago. I believe Islands attracts the interest of people who are fascinated with the Island life/environment. For example: I've always listened to Islands on the beach , watching the tides, glancing at the sky and drifting into a fantasy novel about pirates or whatever? I want to visit Pitcarin Island and listen to Islands. As I've stated before, many musicians in the early 70's physically placed themselves in a situation with nature. Wrote on a specific subject having directly to do with a landscape, the ocean...and included musically and lyrically.. a vision of this place...by re-tracing it's history, or it's position in the modern day...or choosing to write fantasy unlike anyone else. 
Beautifully approached and written. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 15:54
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px; : rgb248, 248, 252;">^ To me its just the sound of a genuine progressive rock band evolving. Sure there's larger portions of harder, darker and dissonant material LTIA than Islands, but the former got its Exiles and Book of Saturday and the latter its Sailor's Tale. I never ever had any difficulty recognizing a 69-74 KC-album as a KC-album.  </span>

This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234