Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums u like/dislike with low/high ratings on PA.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums u like/dislike with low/high ratings on PA.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums u like/dislike with low/high ratings on PA.
    Posted: August 10 2014 at 01:27
Note: Sorry for purposefully misspelling "you". I consider myself a grammar Nazi, but I really wanted to fit the whole topic title. :)

What albums do you really enjoy that are rated poorly on Progarchives (think below 3.8), as well as the ones you don't really see anything special about that happened to be rated highly. And I'm not talking "oh, I don't see what was so wrong/good with that" for the former. I'm referring more towards, "oh my goodness, what were they THINKING on PA??" Naturally, this can go both ways.

I'll throw out some personal examples.

Dream Theater:
Love - Falling Into Infinity. Still can't believe the hate for this album. DT created a solid prog rock album, and it was skewered for not being metal.
Dislike - Six Degrees. BORING. The second disc is fantastic though (which is pretty much the opposite of what most people think).

Yes:
Love - Drama. Up there with Relayer, Going for the One, and Fragile IMO.
Dislike - Tales from Topographic Oceans. Really? Almost a 3.9? I've never felt like this album was anything special, and it's universally condemned all but here it seems.

Opeth:
Love - Morningrise. Very exciting album. Tons of bone-crushing riffs and very proggy song structure.
Dislike - Heritage. I hate to use the term "prog by numbers", but this is what comes to mind when I see that phrase. Folklore is one of their best songs though.

Return to Forever:
Love - No Mystery. Maybe it's because the funky side of jazz fusion isn't well-accepted here, but I can't tell you how many times I've given this a spun. It's an addictive album.
Dislike - Romantic Warrior. I actually don't dislike this album, but of the first six RTF albums, this is the only one I feel lukewarm about. I think most people on PA like it so much because it's the closest thing they did to Prog, but I prefer the looser structure of their jazzier albums.

So feel free to share (or provide backlash haha), and don't be afraid to go and "deviate from the norm" as Neil Peart would say lol.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 01:35
I am a fond believer in the 2 'Prog Collective' albums masterminded by bassist Billy Sherwood. I don't get what's all the dislike of these projects......
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 01:38
Originally posted by ProgSword ProgSword wrote:

What albums do you really enjoy that are rated poorly on Progarchives (think below 3.8)

Below 3.8 out of 5, poor? Interesting.

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 03:50
I'm with you on Morningrise. It might be my favorite of theirs.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 04:18
My vote goes to Voivod's first two LPs, War and Pain and Rrröööaaarrr. They might not be as technically accomplished or complex in songwriting as what the band would do afterwards, true, but I still think they're extremely inventive in terms of instrumental interplay and how the riffs are constructed. The entire sound is very off-kilter which helps a lot in creating that weird futuristic aesthetic that set Voivod apart from most other 1980s metal groups.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 05:13
^Agreed on Voivod.

The fact that Gorguts "The Erosion of Sanity" only has 3.45 (which I guess isn't too bad overall when compared with Obscura); that album is transcendental for 1993 IMHO, and Nocturnus "Thresholds" has always been underrated relative to the debut.

Great thread!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 06:10
I genuinely don't think there are any albums with high ratings that I dislike. Being a bit bored at times and 'dislike' are not the same. If it was being a bit bored at times then early Tangerine Dream and Dark Side Of The Moon and also a good portion of King Crimson's catalogue.

Albums that I like with low rating tend to be albums with short tracks that struggle to be prog albums in the first place. 2 examples are Le Parc by Tangerine Dream ( the music is much better than a 2 but then the rating system advises against giving a 4 or 5 so I gave a 3) and Glass Hammer - Three Cheers For The Broken Hearted which I absolutely love and gave 5 stars for 'tactical' reasons. However its rating of around 3 is probably fair.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 08:49
There's too many to count or mention.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 12:32
Boxes Paradise by Sensations' Fix only got three stars on the 'Archive. Oh, fooey. It's obviously not in the realm of deserving five stars, but every song is a gem, ranging from a little pop to full-blown progressive. Very creative. It's easily a four-star effort. Thanks, Franco.
Gil1038 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 08:54
I love Works Pt.1 by ELP, one of the most bashed album here on PA.
And I can't stand The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway despite all the love that gets, In The Cage is the only good track in there in my opinion.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 14:43
Originally posted by Gil1038 Gil1038 wrote:

I love Works Pt.1 by ELP, one of the most bashed album here on PA.
And I can't stand The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway despite all the love that gets, In The Cage is the only good track in there in my opinion.

In my mind both albums are inconsistent but absolutely brilliant in places. However the ratings are miles apart. Just shows that having a proper 'concept' or flow is vital. ELP's album lacks both unfortunately.

Edited by richardh - August 11 2014 at 14:43
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:07
I enjoy Asia, GTR, and Open Your Eyes quite a bit. There is something to say for melodicism and the performances on each of them are quite good. Frank Zappa's We're Only In It For the Money just sounds like random noise to me, while Gentle Giant's Three Friends is probably my least favorite album out of the six albums I have of theirs.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 21:30
I also loved Glass Hammer's Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 00:29
Gotta say it - ELP 's 'Love Beach'. It's not as dog-awful as many claim. It's not great, but I've heard much worse.
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 01:19
There's something really wrong if rating below 3,8 should count as low Unhappy

... but as for lowest rated album on PA that I still like would be this one:

Nothing prog here for sure, but Jeff Lynne's melodic songwriting is still irresistible.

Edited by Thandrus - August 13 2014 at 01:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 01:29
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

I also loved Glass Hammer's Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted.

Thumbs Up
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 09:35
I have tried but can't get into Opeth. They seem to be the best thing since sliced bread in the prog metal world. I find their formula unsatisfying. On the other hand i love the first two Asia album and much of the hated poppier prog. I have no problem with art pop and accessible music. I love Yes' 90215
Wheelspawn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 16:58
Ocean by Eloy. This album has what, a 4.1? Almost no guitars and plenty of aimless keyboard solos. The vocalist shouts some lyrics about Atlantis while new-age synth pads play in the background.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 09:15
But outside of "aimless", how do you really feel?
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 10:22
I love prog-pop stuff. Albums like Duke by Genesis and Azure D'or by Renaissance spring to mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>