Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGorguts Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorguts Appreciation
    Posted: August 10 2014 at 07:18
So I searched and couldn't find an already-established thread, so here we go.

What are your thoughts on this incredibly talented, ground-breaking band? 

Sure, they started off emulating rather traditional Floridian death metal, but by their second record they were already creating some pretty transcendental stuff IMHO. 

Obscura is without a doubt their most progressive and experimental release (I'll even argue it's still higher than Colored Sands, which is still a phenomenal record).

What do you like/dislike about this band?

What's your personal favorite Gorguts song and album - if it's even possible to choose just one of each?

Obscura is their magnum opus for me, but The Erosion of Sanity is like, the pinnacle of extreme metal for its era to my ears.

Thoughts?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 15:05
I have only Colored Sands.  Maybe the only album I own that has only harsh vocals, no clean.  Don't listen to it often, but do like it.  Can't say more than that at the moment.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 15:48
"Colored Sands" is the only 2013 release I gave a 5 star rating (my review is here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1073670) and truly a mighty comeback for Gorguts. Obscura will always be a Classic because of the timeframe it was released in and it is arguably a groundbreaking release. Itīs also a very hard listen though and personally I prefer "Colored Sands".

Iīve listened to Gorguts since their debut and they were correctly part of the Florida death metal sound even though they were Canadians. The early releases are pretty good, but not on par with their more experimental output IMO.

I actually just saw them live a couple of months ago on the Copenhell 2014 festival and technically they were amazing. I donīt really think their music translates that well to a live environment though (too introspective) and the Guys just stood completely still on the stage concentrating on their playing, so there wasnīt much "show" about them. I probably wouldnīt go see them Again.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 15:55
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

"Colored Sands" is the only 2013 release I gave a 5 star rating (my review is here: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1073670) and truly a mighty comeback for Gorguts. Obscura will always be a Classic because of the timeframe it was released in and it is arguably a groundbreaking release. Itīs also a very hard listen though and personally I prefer "Colored Sands".

Iīve listened to Gorguts since their debut and they were correctly part of the Florida death metal sound even though they were Canadians. The early releases are pretty good, but not on par with their more experimental output IMO.

I actually just saw them live a couple of months ago on the Copenhell 2014 festival and technically they were amazing. I donīt really think their music translates that well to a live environment though (too introspective) and the Guys just stood completely still on the stage concentrating on their playing, so there wasnīt much "show" about them. I probably wouldnīt go see them Again.

Agreed about Colored Sands being a 5-star album; I also agree that the later, more experimental releases are what truly put them on the map (although the first two album exemplify Floridian-style DM for me).

I got the chance to see Gorguts live at Maryland Death Fest shortly after the revival summer of 2010. One of the best sets I've seen live, given that 3/4 of the band weren't original members. Drafting Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel was a smart move on Luc's part. I was privileged enough to help them move their merch in at Sonar in Baltimore for that gig. Luc also wrote me a person note inside my copy of FWTH.

I also had the honor and luck of getting the chance to speak with Steeve Hurdle on an almost daily basis for several months before his untimely passing. He revealed a LOT about the recording process for Obscura, and what sort of lyrical concept kicks they were on at the time. Every incarnation of Gorguts has been nothing short of amazing.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 16:14
I love Obscura, Clouded is one of my favorite tracks ever. Colored Sands and Erosion of Sanity are also quite fine.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 17:17
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

I love Obscura, Clouded is one of my favorite tracks ever. Colored Sands and Erosion of Sanity are also quite fine.

Clouded is one beast of a track. It literally feels like your reality is collapsing in on itself.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 17:28
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Clouded is one beast of a track. It literally feels like your reality is collapsing in on itself.
Yeah, it's apocalyptic. Every time I listen I can't help paying close attention to it until the first guitar break.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2014 at 21:07
Colored Sands was one of my first two extreme metal purchases. May have overplayed it a little because the only other prog I had at the time was Yes, Rush and Tull and I wanted the heavy stuff at the time. Own Obscura now too, and both Cloutier's and Marston (Obscura and CS bassists respectively) have my favourite bass tones in death metal.

Favourite Gorguts songs: Nostalgia (for the sexy solo bass part, I know it's probably the least technical song on the album), and the title track Obscura is an insane way to start an album. From CS, Le Toit Du Monde for its post-rock leanings (Colin Marston's influence maybe?) and Reduced to Silence because it feels like the album is unresolved when the last solo is played, the riff repeats and everything ends. But at the same time the abrupt ending suits the story or concept of the album.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 01:26
I would love for Obscura to be reissued.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 05:14
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Colored Sands was one of my first two extreme metal purchases. May have overplayed it a little because the only other prog I had at the time was Yes, Rush and Tull and I wanted the heavy stuff at the time. Own Obscura now too, and both Cloutier's and Marston (Obscura and CS bassists respectively) have my favourite bass tones in death metal.

Favourite Gorguts songs: Nostalgia (for the sexy solo bass part, I know it's probably the least technical song on the album), and the title track Obscura is an insane way to start an album. From CS, Le Toit Du Monde for its post-rock leanings (Colin Marston's influence maybe?) and Reduced to Silence because it feels like the album is unresolved when the last solo is played, the riff repeats and everything ends. But at the same time the abrupt ending suits the story or concept of the album.

Cloutier was/is an insane bass player; his technique was literally like nothing before it. That guy attacked and "flattened" the bass, as if he was using his entire arm up to his elbow to smack the strings. All of the technique used from Obscura onward by everyone involved has been absolutely nuts.

Nostalgia is one of my personal favorite tracks as well! Sweet Silence has an awesome ending that has always reminded me of a giant golem trudging through a foggy forest, finally losing steam, and collapsing to take a nap lol. I agree with what you say about the tracks on Colored Sands.

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I would love for Obscura to be reissued.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't it reissued on limited vinyl a year or so back?
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 05:32
 Considered Dead, decent death metal album. 
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 05:50
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Considered Dead just does it right, IMHO. Erosion is their early 90's masterpiece, but Considered is a slab of classic Floridian-esque brutality, combining all the best elements of Death's Leprosy and other late 80's influences. Plenty of separate guitar parts weaving simultaneously, etc.

Plus, the Dan Seagrave artwork just rules Tongue.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 11 2014 at 05:51
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 05:54

Considered Dead just does it right, IMHO. Erosion is their early 90's masterpiece, but Considered is a slab of classic Floridian-esque brutality, combining all the best elements of Death's Leprosy and other late 80's influences. Plenty of separate guitar parts weaving simultaneously, etc.

Considered Dead is the only Gorguts album I've heard. I was into death metal in the early 90's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 06:01

Considered Dead is the only Gorguts album I've heard. I was into death metal in the early 90's.

What other death metal acts were you listening to at the time? I also thoroughly enjoy Atheist, Pestilence, Malevolent Creation, Cynic (amazing), Cannibal Corpse (everything up to and including The Bleeding)...

So much classic stuff all happening between the years of '89-'93ish.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 06:21

What other death metal acts were you listening to at the time? I also thoroughly enjoy Atheist, Pestilence, Malevolent Creation, Cynic (amazing), Cannibal Corpse (everything up to and including The Bleeding)...

Death, Carcass, Obituary, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Cannibal Corpse, Morgoth, Massacra some Swedish death metal like Edge of Sanity, Dismember, Unleashed, Dissection, Entombed.

Death and Carcass were my favorite. Seen Death twice, Carcass once.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 06:34

Death, Carcass, Obituary, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Pestilence, Cannibal Corpse, Morgoth, Massacra some Swedish death metal like Edge of Sanity, Dismember, Unleashed, Dissection, Entombed.

Death and Carcass were my favorite. Seen Death twice, Carcass once.

Carcass is also in my top five, as well! Necroticism and Heartwork might be my faves, although the first two records are essentials.

I could never get into Morbid Angel oddly enough, despite their huge influence on Gorguts. Obituary is classic DM, Napalm Death is legendary grind, Morgoth is a little less heard of; same with Massacra around these parts. Edge of Sanity might be my favorite Swedish extreme act (Crimson and Crimson II all day). Dismember, Entombed, Unleashed, Dissection; all classics!

I'm truly envious you got to witness Chuck Schuldiner live. What year/tour was it?! Tongue
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 06:50

Carcass is also in my top five, as well! Necroticism and Heartwork might be my faves, although the first two records are essentials.

I could never get into Morbid Angel oddly enough, despite their huge influence on Gorguts. Obituary is classic DM, Napalm Death is legendary grind, Morgoth is a little less heard of; same with Massacra around these parts. Edge of Sanity might be my favorite Swedish extreme act (Crimson and Crimson II all day). Dismember, Entombed, Unleashed, Dissection; all classics!

I'm truly envious you got to witness Chuck Schuldiner live. What year/tour was it?! Tongue

It was in Poland, Metalmania festival 1993, both Death and Carcass were there, also Cannibal Corpse and Messiah. Later I saw Death in 1995 I think when they released Symbolic. Carcass were extremely loud, their guitar leads were hurting my ears. It was my first serious concert. What a blast.

Necroticism is my fav Carcass album and probably my fav death metal album of all time. Death's Human is next on the list.

Edited by LSDisease - August 11 2014 at 06:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 06:59

Carcass is also in my top five, as well! Necroticism and Heartwork might be my faves, although the first two records are essentials.

I could never get into Morbid Angel oddly enough, despite their huge influence on Gorguts. Obituary is classic DM, Napalm Death is legendary grind, Morgoth is a little less heard of; same with Massacra around these parts. Edge of Sanity might be my favorite Swedish extreme act (Crimson and Crimson II all day). Dismember, Entombed, Unleashed, Dissection; all classics!

It was in Poland, Metalmania festival 1993, both Death and Carcass were there, also Cannibal Corpse and Messiah. Later I saw Death in 1995 I think when they released Symbolic. Carcass were extremely loud, their guitar leads were hurting my ears. It was my first serious concert. What a blast. 

Necroticism is my fav Carcass album and probably my fav death metal album of all time. Death's Human is next on the list.

^That is truly awesome! Tongue

Necroticism is definitely a gem; Incarnated Solvent Abuse and Pedigree Butchery are two of my favorite tracks.

Death is by proxy my favorite metal band ever. It's incredibly difficult for me to pick just one record, as I feel all of the works sort of tie together. Human and ITP are the peak for me, but I can't discount Symbolic or TSOP. It's all one big essential set for me, lol. If I'm forced to pick one as my favorite, I'd have to go with ITP. Human was my favorite for a long, long time, but I feel ITP just has a little extra "flair" in the progressive department; I'd argue it features Chuck's best arrangements. 

Symbolic is always heralded as the progressive peak, but the arrangements are incredibly linear in comparison to ITP

ITP had horrible production, but Symbolic has monster riffage throughout. There's always been a very audible trade-off there for me. Again, I can't denounce any Death; it ALL rules!

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 11 2014 at 07:01
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 07:16

Necroticism is definitely a gem; Incarnated Solvent Abuse and Pedigree Butchery are two of my favorite tracks.

This is truly amazing cos to me those two tracks are also the best ones on Necroticism. From the start it was Incarnated Solvent Abuse (since I saw the video) and Pedigree when I got the tape, that was it. I thought those two were the best. But I like the whole album actually, lots of good riffs and leads. There's a little bit of rock and roll vibe in Pedigree solo I think.

Death is by proxy my favorite metal band ever. It's incredibly difficult for me to pick just one record, as I feel all of the works sort of tie together. Human and ITP are the peak for me, but I can't discount Symbolic or TSOP. It's all one big essential set for me, lol. If I'm forced to pick one as my favorite, I'd have to go with ITP. Human was my favorite for a long, long time, but I feel ITP just has a little extra "flair" in the progressive department; I'd argue it features Chuck's best arrangements. 

Symbolic is always heralded as the progressive peak, but the arrangements are incredibly linear in comparison to ITP. ITP had horrible production, but Symbolic has monster riffage throughout. There's always been a very audible trade-off there for me. Again, I can't denounce any Death; it ALL rules!

Being a King Diamond fan I was sure Individual Thought Patters will be a solid record. I was right, Andy LaRocque is a true virtuoso he does no wrong. I like the arrangements too. It's not a pure death metal album though still a classic. In the early 90's Spiritual Healing was my fav although I started with Leprosy. When Human was released it wasn't better than Healing to me, now I think it is. It's just a difficult album to listen to. It sounds a bit odd, but the songs are just brilliant. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 07:49

This is truly amazing cos to me those two tracks are also the best ones on Necroticism. From the start it was Incarnated Solvent Abuse (since I saw the video) and Pedigree when I got the tape, that was it. I thought those two were the best. But I like the whole album actually, lots of good riffs and leads. There's a little bit of rock and roll vibe in Pedigree solo I think.

Symbolic is always heralded as the progressive peak, but the arrangements are incredibly linear in comparison to ITP. ITP had horrible production, but Symbolic has monster riffage throughout. There's always been a very audible trade-off there for me. Again, I can't denounce any Death; it ALL rules!

Being a King Diamond fan I was sure Individual Thought Patters will be a solid record. I was right, Andy LaRocque is a true virtuoso he does no wrong. I like the arrangements too. It's not a pure death metal album though still a classic. In the early 90's Spiritual Healing was my fav although I started with Leprosy. When Human was released it wasn't better than Healing to me, now I think it is. It's just a difficult album to listen to. It sounds a bit odd, but the songs are just brilliant. 

YES to everything you just said, lol. Spiritual Healing is an excellent record; I love those riffs. I play them all the time when warming up. There's an odd sense of subtle "progginess" or "jazziness" to tracks like "Altering The Future" and "Within The Mind" (by far my favorite track on that album).

ITP transcends standard DM for me, and I think that's why I like it so much. I don't consider anything from that point on to be DM at all; it's straight up progressive metal to the bone. I think Chuck felt this way himself, getting tired and bored with the labels and limitations so many fans and bands imposed upon that genre. Spiritual Healing was the turning point for everything IMHO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>