Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGorguts Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 08:47
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

YES to everything you just said, lol. Spiritual Healing is an excellent record; I love those riffs. I play them all the time when warming up. There's an odd sense of subtle "progginess" or "jazziness" to tracks like "Altering The Future" and "Within The Mind" (by far my favorite track on that album).

ITP transcends standard DM for me, and I think that's why I like it so much. I don't consider anything from that point on to be DM at all; it's straight up progressive metal to the bone. I think Chuck felt this way himself, getting tired and bored with the labels and limitations so many fans and bands imposed upon that genre. Spiritual Healing was the turning point for everything IMHO.

As for Healing, title track, Living Monstrosity (great finger twisting guitar licks by Murphy), Low Life (awesome solos), Altering the Future....yes, definitely those, however I like almost every track on this album. Killing Spree is the only one I don't dig.

Chuck was a very creative songwriter, also a very good musician. He was more than just a guitar shredding hero, he could play anything, his input to metal in general was huge.

Edited by LSDisease - August 11 2014 at 08:48
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 09:08
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

YES to everything you just said, lol. Spiritual Healing is an excellent record; I love those riffs. I play them all the time when warming up. There's an odd sense of subtle "progginess" or "jazziness" to tracks like "Altering The Future" and "Within The Mind" (by far my favorite track on that album).

ITP transcends standard DM for me, and I think that's why I like it so much. I don't consider anything from that point on to be DM at all; it's straight up progressive metal to the bone. I think Chuck felt this way himself, getting tired and bored with the labels and limitations so many fans and bands imposed upon that genre. Spiritual Healing was the turning point for everything IMHO.

As for Healing, title track, Living Monstrosity (great finger twisting guitar licks by Murphy), Low Life (awesome solos), Altering the Future....yes, definitely those, however I like almost every track on this album. Killing Spree is the only one I don't dig.

Chuck was a very creative songwriter, also a very good musician. He was more than just a guitar shredding hero, he could play anything, his input to metal in general was huge.

That's one of the reason his work always stood out to me. It was never about "being metal"; it was about progressing at his craft, even at the expense of being ostracized (without judgement, what would we do?! Wink) by the very community he helped launch forward. To me, that is the true mark of an artist.

His lyrics always pushed for introspection via the listener. That's something that really hits home with me, especially in metal. Also, I believe Gorguts opened for Death on the Symbolic tour back in '95.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 09:31

His lyrics always pushed for introspection via the listener. That's something that really hits home with me, especially in metal. Also, I believe Gorguts opened for Death on the Symbolic tour back in '95.

Maybe but not in Europe. I  believe Deicide opened for Death too back in 95.  Unleashed and Samael opened for Death when I saw them back then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 10:27
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Maybe but not in Europe. I  believe Deicide opened for Death too back in 95.  Unleashed and Samael opened for Death when I saw them back then.

Ah yes, you're in Europe!

What a magical era for both Europe and the United States Smile.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 11:01

What a magical era for both Europe and the United States Smile.

Florida DM scene in the US was awesome back then. In Europe Swedish DM scene was the biggest and the most famous around. British had some good acts too however not too many. Carcass and Napalm Death were the most known.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 13:05
^ahemm...Bolt Thrower, Benediction, Cancer...but yeah youīre right Carcass and Napalm Death were probably the two best known acts.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 05:16
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^ahemm...Bolt Thrower, Benediction, Cancer...but yeah youīre right Carcass and Napalm Death were probably the two best known acts.

Carcass, Napalm Death, and Benediction were all excellent bands. I must admit that Bolt Thrower never "clicked" with me, despite being a massive influence for some of my favorite bands. I saw them live at the first Maryland Death Fest I attended, when they had to play a second set to fill in for Pestilence not being able to get into the country (you can imagine how pissed I was about that, being a large reason I traveled to MDF that year was to see Pestilence). I got to see Pestilence the second year I went though, and it was totally worth the wait!

Cancer "Death Shall Rise" (with James Murphy on lead) is an awesome record, btw.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 12 2014 at 05:18
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 09:07
I only own The Erosion of Sanity, which I don't listen to very often since their style requires a lot of concentration to listen to. Great album though, even if with music this advanced I'm not sure how much of the compositional content I actually understand because my knowledge of music theory is extremely basic.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 09:13
Luc Lemay is an incredible composer; I believe he went to school for it between Erosion and Obscura.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 09:31
Apparently he's one of the few metal songwriters to ever cite Captain Beefheart as an influence, the others being Carl-Michael Eide from Virus and Midgaars from Lugubrum. The last one's not on PA, they're a Flemish nationalist black metal group who have come around to that influence by way of the Captain being of Dutch/Flemish extraction.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 09:34
Definitely. I can't even tell you how many non-PA related Obscura reviews I've come across that say something along the lines of "The only thing this is even comparable to is Captain Beefheart".

Obscura is such a gem. It's more or less the apex of experimental metal for me. I'm so glad that I own an original pressing on CD; they were fetching quite a bit online a few years ago, though I'm not sure what the market dictates these days.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:22

...I'd say it's still fetching a pretty decent penny LOL.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 19 2014 at 08:26
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:31
Gorguts are cool. I'll always have a soft spot for 'Considered Dead' since I spun it a lot back in the early 90s. I swear, from 1990 to sometime in 1993 I bought any album with a Dan Seagrave cover sleeve.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:33
^^Yeah itīs pretty crazy for an album released in 1998.

Edited by UMUR - August 19 2014 at 08:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 08:43
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Gorguts are cool. I'll always have a soft spot for 'Considered Dead' since I spun it a lot back in the early 90s. I swear, from 1990 to sometime in 1993 I bought any album with a Dan Seagrave cover sleeve.

The crazy thing is, you couldn't go wrong with any album just by buying it due to his artwork in that time period.

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^^Yeah itīs pretty crazy for an album released in 1998.

I have to agree with this. It wasn't worth more than $20 from 2000-20011ish, then all of a sudden it's going for almost $100 used. I got my copy for like $13 in 2005 LOL.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:27
Now thatīs what I call a bargain Thumbs Up

Edited by UMUR - August 19 2014 at 09:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 05:35
If I recall correctly, I ordered it through a bookstore (Border's). 

It took me probably a good two years to actually start hearing what's going on on that record; now it can't be unheard Wink.
planetwhale71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 11:40
As far as Obscura goes, it definitely took a little while for me to fully grasp the denseness of the album, plus Luc Lemay's wailing vocals first sounded like a guy whose nads were wired to a car battery....but now, I can't get that damn album out of my head. Like Neurosis' Through Silver In Blood, Obscura sounds like a swirling, hypnotic nightmare that I keep revisiting. Good call on the Gorguts-love, Prognostic. 
There are some days when I think I'm going to die of satisfaction-Salvadore Dali
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 06:47
^Thanks man!

Obscura took me years to digest. But as you said, once it hits you, it's like you've always known it. I liken it to a sort of musical enlightenment. Your avatar is awesome, btw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12