Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy do we love Prog concept albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do we love Prog concept albums?
    Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:11

IQ's latest album Road of Bones has picked up almost unanimous praise and fan popularity over the last few months. As a non fan of Neo-Progressive rock, it sounds musically the same to me as their last 5 albums, but I noticed that it is a concept album related somewhat to the dark nature of people (killers?) So what is it about concept albums that we love so much?

Edited by SteveG - August 12 2014 at 15:09
threaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:24
I think it's all about its  combined nature. For me, there is nothing more captivating than gripping book with good storyline. When an interesting story is mixed with something I love even more, I mean prog music, how can I love something more than that?
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:43
When concept albums work, they are the best music to listen to because there is more to them than just a selection of songs.

The Snow Goose interprets an existing story by Paul Gallico and does it without words, depicting characters and events by repeating motifs, a bit like Peter and the Wolf. Camel excels at concept albums; Nude, Stationary Traveller and all their last 4 except a Nod and a Wink are good examples.

Grave New World (Strawbs) tells the story of a life from birth to death and depicts the attitudes we all go through and the mistakes we make.

The Tain (Horslips) tell the story of a cattle raid in prehistoric Ireland and the war between Munster and Ulster which results; it's a breathtaking piece of work. Their Book of Invasions continues the prehistoric theme and tells of the colonisation of Ireland by the Tuatha Da Danaan; it too is amazing.

But when they don't work, they can be awful.
threaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:45
Well the one I cannot get through is Tommy.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 16:46
As I have a background in studying history, I love it when a concept album deals with an historical event or events, like, you guessed it, Triumvirat's Spartacus and Pompeii albums. (though the concept doesn't have to be always historical for me to like it)

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:02
A good concept album not only frequently tells a story arc but also explores themes like a good novel will. Of course, if the music is not engaging, the album will become a bore, or if the theme is not clear or pedestrian. Intelligence is required to make it all work as a whole. In that way it is more than a collection of songs, it is a sequence of songs that all relate together narratively and musically. That is a great challenge. We can compare Tommy and Quadrophenia. While I like both, the latter is far the superior in every way, but then we can say Townshend learned from his mistakes (including the failed project known as Lifehouse).
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
waluigithewalrus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 17:10
As others have said in the thread, it's because there's so much more the a concept album than just your standard album. Story lines appear and themes repeat across the entirety of the album, both lyrically and musically, making it feel as one huge entity instead of individual songs. 

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 19:21
Prog musicians and fans have long rebelled against the imposition of the 3-5 minute convention for song length. A concept album takes this even further because it traverses even the sporadic and unpredictable song lengths of Prog with something Zappa referred to as conceptual continuity. Forget how long any given song is, it's no longer about just one song. This, in turn, adds an extra layer to the music, making it a broader thought provoking process.

Edited by HackettFan - August 11 2014 at 19:23
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Prog musicians and fans have long rebelled against the imposition of the 3-5 minute convention for song length. A concept album takes this even further because it traverses even the sporadic and unpredictable song lengths of Prog with something Zappa referred to as conceptual continuity. Forget how long any given song is, it's no longer about just one song. This, in turn, adds an extra layer to the music, making it a broader thought provoking process.

Pretty much why I like concept albums....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2014 at 19:42
I don't think we do love concept albums that much. (and straw polls such as this will inevitably turn out to be do not give an accurate picture).

It may appear that we have to put up with a lot more of them than the fans of any other genre do, and that must increases the probability of one or two rising above average to achieve some level of success. This unfortunate impression of Prog Rock has been a cheap stereotype and a tired cliché since the early 70s and it's one that's not going to go away (throw in some songs about elves and pixies and your work is done). However, other genres of music are not immune from concept album syndrome, Mariah Carey has produced more concept albums than Camel, at times it can seem difficult to find a Black Metal album, a Symphonic Metal album or a Power Metal album that isn't a concept and Emo bands appear to have difficulty producing albums that are not conceptual.

[Of course the term "concept album" can mean many things including albums that are no more than a collection of loosely themed songs all the way through to mock-operetta's with easy to follow narratives. I purposely prepended the adjective "real" in the following paragraph because it there is dispute over what the concept is (or whether it is a concept or not) then the concept is tenuous. If the concept has to be explained by a 20,000-word post-grad thesis then it's not a concept album in my estimation.]

If you scan the Top 100 Prog albums list not as many of them are real concept albums as you would expect and the most popular concept album, Thick As A Brick, Ian Anderson wrote as a parody of concept albums. While there appears to be a lot of concept albums in Progressive Rock, we don't seem to rate them any differently to non-concept albums.

Yes and Rush only produced one concept album each and Genesis made two (if you count FG2R), ELP could never quite manage to make a whole concept album and VdGG & King Crimson succeeded in avoiding them completely. As we all know, Pink Floyd hit the mainstream big-time with a succession of four concept albums until the gravy-train derailed on The Final Cut, and that's equal to the number of concept albums that Ian Anderson threw together, which is the same number as those released onto an indifferent world by the boys Schulman. 

What?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 00:52
^ difficulty to add anything to that

I generally think concept albums are just a lazy excuse to string a load of songs together usually with a tenuous theme that is not really a concept. However it does demand that the music has come kind of flow to it so I think that is why some work quite well.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 01:16
Originally posted by threaz threaz wrote:

Well the one I cannot get through is Tommy.

Well, Tommy the original 1969 album is not a Progressive rock concept album; it's a Rock Opera and belongs to different category. Maybe two (or three) songs sounds proggy, and imo that's Amazing Journey and Sparks.
Tommy Soundtrack actually sounds more proggy.

Edited by Svetonio - August 12 2014 at 01:42
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 01:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

(...)So what is it about concept albums that we love so much?

Personally, I love to hear that some recurring elements at an album.

Edited by Svetonio - August 12 2014 at 01:48
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 01:32
i don't
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 06:01
I feel like concept albums (the good ones, that is) are somewhat of an apex of human art.. They combine the best elements of storytelling, performance, novelty, atmosphere, direction, etc. It's like the pinnacle of art brought to you via sonic experience - but also with the ability to paint a very vivid mental picture, as well.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 12 2014 at 06:01
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 07:16
The really good concepts make the music itself so much more interesting and easy to connect to if there is some emotional/empathetic storyline or themes that you can relate to in life. It sort of adds a new dimension above the music, lyrics, production, etc. and creates a better atmosphere when they're combined IMO. That's why I love albums like "Metropolis Pt. 2" or "Quadrophenia", but find stuff like "The Snow Goose" duller and less empathetic because it's missing one of those elements (but at least makes up for it with experimentation). You could sort of compare the 2 concept/individual albums to a sketch show ("Nursery Cryme" for example, having a story in each song) or a film with a plot throughout (like "The Lamb"). Which one you prefer is completely subjective, but progressive fans, who typically have more patience and concentration than most pop or 3-chord rock fans, just have a more suited personality/listening style to concept albums on the whole. We don't all love them, but it's much easier for a prog fan like myself to get involved with the music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 08:20
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ difficulty to add anything to that

I generally think concept albums are just a lazy excuse to string a load of songs together usually with a tenuous theme that is not really a concept. However it does demand that the music has come kind of flow to it so I think that is why some work quite well.

I can only go back to "Tommy", and how it was considered a "rock opera" (which would be a concept, btw!!!) and it was laughed off vehemently by so many folks, and the idea of "concept" was also laughed at going back to the Beatles and Rolling Stones, as if "concept" was something that belonged to intelectuals, not anyone else.

I honestly, find, many of these "concepts", over rated and boring. It's all so "new-agey" ... that you have to be told that this is about naked nymphs that are called angels, in a May Day Jolly Celebration, that you wish you had been there ... because where you are, and with whom you are, you will never be able to conceive or try that? And nowadays, too many bands use that idea as if ... it meant something more than just another song!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 08:25
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

(...)So what is it about concept albums that we love so much?

Personally, I love to hear that some recurring elements at an album.

Opera would be good for you.

But, mind you ... opera with rock instruments will be another 200 years, because this generation doesn't like classical music, and can only hear top ten! Metal with opera ... now that sounds tasty! Very Wagnerian?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 08:52
I don't necessarily, an album with nice stories in each of its songs (like say, Nursery Crime or Foxtrot) can be as good or even better. In a certain sense a concept album could be thought of as the band having a shortage of original ideas and themes to sing about, an economical resource. Having said that, stories or ideas in relatively short songs must inevitably be expressed in a rather compressed way. Concept albums allow a much more extensive exploration, either of a story or of a theme, and when they are well done they can have an additional plus point.

At any rate, many modern Pop albums could be considered concept albums, the concept being invariably "Oh baby don't leave me, I can't live without you!" Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2014 at 09:01
I'm not that taken by the story on concept album. It's all about the music for me. The Lamb for example has some incredible music and some of the individual lyrics are also very good, but I'm inclined to agree with Tony Banks, that the concept was quite poor. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the music though. Then there's Tales form topographic oceans. Again, love (most) of the music, but the concept is meaningless to me.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>