Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report abuse here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedratings system stinks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 04:11
Originally posted by logosprog logosprog wrote:

This is our last mail to the webmaster of this website.

Hi there. we got six one star rating in one day (2 hours to be precise)...

two options: your reviewers that gave to our album 4 or 5 stars are totally idiots or your rating system has something wrong...

this is what we think and what we are going to publish to our channels next soon. This is not a good feedback to people (us) that use time and money to propose original music. One or more dislike should (!?!) be ok if they come in more than two hours... Viceversa they stink as rotten

Threats ?

Sometimes people abuse a system, deal with it.   But don't threaten, it's childish and unbecoming.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:23
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Originally posted by thedunno thedunno wrote:

I would get rid of the simple ratings at all. Just allow reviews.

So if you'd like to rate "Foxtrot" (or DTSOM or some other monster album) you have to write one more review which nobody would bother to read to 1000 existing ones? For God's sake no!
Are you saying that the rating (given by the reviewer) makes the review stand out?
thedunno View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 06:40
For writing a review the reviewer must take the time and efford to formulate his thoughts. Just allowing reviewes will get rid of the gremlins who just give quick 1 star ratings for pleasure.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:02

For writing a review the reviewer must take the time and efford to formulate his thoughts. Just allowing reviewes will get rid of the gremlins who just give quick 1 star ratings for pleasure.
This has been discussed, and the site owner's rationale of allowing ratings only is to encourage participation in the rating process by non-English speaking visitors.  Only allowing ratings with a review alienates that sector of the audience.  Some may think, "yeah? so what?" to this, but when considering the economics, it makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site globally if possible.  The thoughtless 1-star mavericks out there are just one such drawback that any system could encounter.  I think the heavy weighting of ratings with reviews compared to ratings without reviews is a good solution which greatly compensates for that drawback.  Few if any systems we devise could be perfect.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:05
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

This has been discussed, and the site owner's rationale of allowing ratings only is to encourage participation in the rating process by non-English speaking visitors.  Only allowing ratings with a review alienates that sector of the audience.  Some may think, "yeah? so what?" to this, but when considering the economics, it makes sense to broaden the appeal of the site globally if possible.  The thoughtless 1-star mavericks out there are just one such drawback that any system could encounter.  I think the heavy weighting of ratings with reviews compared to ratings without reviews is a good solution which greatly compensates for that drawback.  Few if any systems we devise could be perfect.

Completely agree with this Guru-Steve.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:26
It's an idea I'm all too familiar with in my day job.  I have to devise and implement consistent, defensible methodologies to distribute millions of dollars to over a thousand doctors.  No matter what I do, and how fairly I do it, there's always a few complainers who feel they got shortchanged somehow.  You just can't please everyone.

Edited by HolyMoly - August 27 2014 at 08:37
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:29
I know this all too well, but I'll remember the doctor analogy for future purposes.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 08:53

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I just had a look at a few of the 1 star reviewers of Ut Gret, most have them have just signed up in the last 2 months, have rated thousands of albums and consistently give the couple of hundred RIO albums they rated 1 or 2 stars. Sorry but this is just nuts. They really all have listened to those albums well enough to rate them? If I hated RIO that much I'd stop listening to them after the first few dozen. Bizarre.
A collaborators review might help a bit to compensate for those losers <hint>

Oh I'll write one at some stage :)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 19:23
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Are you saying that the rating (given by the reviewer) makes the review stand out?
Confused I'm saying that simple ratings should stay.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
thedunno View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I just had a look at a few of the 1 star reviewers of Ut Gret, most have them have just signed up in the last 2 months, have rated thousands of albums and consistently give the couple of hundred RIO albums they rated 1 or 2 stars. Sorry but this is just nuts. They really all have listened to those albums well enough to rate them? If I hated RIO that much I'd stop listening to them after the first few dozen. Bizarre

ON a closer look : i think those 7 1-star ratings for Ut Gret are all the same guy. Last visit was for all at 24/8 around noon. They gave 1 star ratings to a lot of the same bands and albums and also 5 star ratings to same bands, like RPWL and Resistor which aren't exactly the most high profile bands around.

A bit harsh on Ut Gret though; 7 1-star ratings out of 22 from just 1 person.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12