FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Weight Lifting/Gym Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Weight Lifting/Gym Thread
    Posted: August 13 2014 at 05:58
Who else weight lifts, hits the gym, goes running, and/or stays fit in a variety of ways?

I've been weight lifting seriously 3-5 days a week for over three years now, and I absolutely love it. I've started gaining some really solid muscle mass for my body type and size (I'm exactly 6ft, 140lbs ectomorph, which translates to 1.82 meters, 63.5kilograms for everywhere outside of the US LOL).

So, who else pumps iron? Smile
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 06:59
I usually lift 2-3 days a week and run 3-4 miles on the off days. I don't so much care about building mass, but I would like to live forever. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:02
Gym three times a week. Typical workout is 30 mins on a cross trainer or a 2 - 3km run as warm up, then about 40 mins of free weights, push ups, sit ups etc..

Main purpose is to keep middle age spread at bay, and it helps keep the old demons at bay to an extent.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:03
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I usually lift 2-3 days a week and run 3-4 miles on the off days. I don't so much care about building mass, but I would like to live forever. 

Mass was never my intention; it was always just to remain healthy and fit. I'm with you on the living forever thing. I'd like to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, assets, and life in general as I age instead of spending the majority of my life dealing with unnecessary pain and disease caused by dietary/physical ignorance.

Wouldn't it suck to finally achieve your dreams and then one day have your quality of life diminished due to something completely avoidable?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:16
Not lifting weights yet, but planning to do so coming season.
Just for the reason, of... well, all the other posters said it already... to hold middle age at bay, to keep young and healthy.
I already found a gym in my city.
Looking forward to it, but reading it's actually gain through pain. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:30
Started combining lifting with bodyweight exercises a few years ago-- I was always skinny so I had no problem with some mass, but prefer to be cut (hey I figured if a dopey actor like Daniel Craig can get pumped so could I).   Found some nice big bells on the street, started lifting heavy, and hitting the protein; about 140 grams a day and plenty of meat & veggies.   Anyone on a hi-pro diet?  What about supplements like creatine, glutamine, DHEA ?

my personal favorite supp -

BSN® SYNTHA-6™ - Chocolate Milkshake - BSN - GNC

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 07:34
I do not plan to lift weights and leave running to my beloved wife (about 10 km aka 6.x miles, thrice a week).

I prefer biking to my work (28 km/18 miles a day) and longer distances when I'm off and the weather allows it (usually ca. 96 km/60 miles). Or walking distances from 5 to 30 km (3 to 19 miles).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 08:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Started combining lifting with bodyweight exercises a few years ago-- I was always skinny so I had no problem with some mass, but prefer to be cut (hey I figured if a dopey actor like Daniel Craig can get pumped so could I).   Found some nice big bells on the street, started lifting heavy, and hitting the protein; about 140 grams a day and plenty of meat & veggies.   Anyone on a hi-pro diet?  What about supplements like creatine, glutamine, DHEA ?

That a boy! 

The only supplements I use daily are fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and some incredibly high-quality GNC protein powder. The protein powder was given to me by my lifting buddy, whom also took creatine, and had a less-than-optimal experience with it. Apparently it makes you need to go #2 quite often during the day, lol. I've never been interested in its effects as a supplement personally, but I can see why others would seek it.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Syntha-6 products.

High protein intake is essential, IMHO, coupled with a well-rounded routine.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 11:17

I do a simple vegetable protein on lifting days. Can't say I enjoy any other supplements. Creatine in particular made me feel terrible. I think most are a waste of money. If I had a kitchen at my office I would drop the protein supplement as well.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 14:57
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I do not plan to lift weights and leave running to my beloved wife (about 10 km aka 6.x miles, thrice a week).

I prefer biking to my work (28 km/18 miles a day) and longer distances when I'm off and the weather allows it (usually ca. 96 km/60 miles). Or walking distances from 5 to 30 km (3 to 19 miles).

I always feel a little discouraged by your sportivity.
Sorry, let me restate this: I feel challenged by your sportivity. LOL
Well, at least I try. 
Oh well, I'm happy now that I'm living in Turnhout, that I can do a lot of things on the bike again.
It's a bit like my old Utrecht days. Cool
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 16:47
I go to the gym three days a week for an hour each of those days-40 minutes on a stationary bike, and the rest weight machines.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 17:23
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I do a simple vegetable protein on lifting days. Can't say I enjoy any other supplements. Creatine in particular made me feel terrible. I think most are a waste of money. If I had a kitchen at my office I would drop the protein supplement as well.

I feel this way as well. Supplementing protein is just convenient when you're on the go, busy, etc.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 21:17
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

That a boy! 

The only supplements I use daily are fish oil, a multi-vitamin, and some incredibly high-quality GNC protein powder. The protein powder was given to me by my lifting buddy, whom also took creatine, and had a less-than-optimal experience with it. Apparently it makes you need to go #2 quite often during the day, lol. I've never been interested in its effects as a supplement personally, but I can see why others would seek it.

GNC does have very good protein products, I think it comes from the same people that make the Optimum Whey brand.   What kept me from using it is the taste; it has that subtle fennel flavor, I think it's the Fenugreek in it.   If I don't like it I won't drink it, so I had to find something tasty but still high quality--  tried Optimum, MuscleTech, Cytosport, finally settled on the BSN Syntha-6.

Edited by Atavachron - August 13 2014 at 23:36
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 06:13

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

That a boy! 

GNC does have very good protein products, I think it comes from the same people that make the Optimum Whey brand.   What kept me from using it is the taste; it has that subtle fennel flavor, I think it's the Fenugreek in it.   If I don't like it I won't drink it, so I had to find something tasty but still high quality--  tried Optimum, MuscleTech, Cytosport, finally settled on the BSN Syntha-6.

GNC does have some great stuff, but damn can it get expensive quick. As I said, I acquired my tub of said protein from a friend, so I lucked out. All of that stuff has a goofy aftertaste. 

I tend to freeze a banana, break it up, throw it in the blender with a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of all-natty PB, 12oz of cold almond milk, some flax seed/hemp seed, and blend for a minute. 

That tastes infinitely better than the typical blender-bottle full of almond milk and protein powder Wink.

We're hitting legs and shoulders tonight at the gym:
-Quad press: 3 (sets) x 12 (reps)
-Hamstring curls 3 x 12
-Calf raises 4 x 15

Shoulder supersets - all back to back as one set with NO rest in between; looks like this:
 Military press x 10
 Seated front lat raises (both arms) x 10
 Standing side lat raises (both arms) x 10
REST, then repeat the above two more times!

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 14 2014 at 06:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 22:02
Hell yeah they're expensive, and they know sometimes you can't wait for a mail delivery (which must be why they're still in business).   Plus how many GNC products are there?   Have you taken a look at your members' catalog?   There's like forty or fifty GNC products alone.   I used to get the 10 lb bag of Syn6 but it's only available online

SYNTHA-6 10LB

The other key thing for me has been rest--  I take at least two to three days between workouts, and when I take a longer break ~ like two weeks off ~ is when I notice the most growth.   Get your six to eight hours a night and relax as often as possible, you'll see twice the development.

Edited by Atavachron - August 15 2014 at 02:49
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 22:37
I'm not really super into lifting and what I currently doe doesn't get me buff, but.....

- 20 bicep curls (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 20 tricep whatever-the-inverse-of-a-curl-is (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 20 shoulder press/arm raise things (each arm; 25 lbs.)
- 30 push ups
- 10 squats (no added weight)
- 30 leg raises

Do the whole thing 3 times.

I do this maybe 3 times a week and bike 10+ miles 2-3 times a week.

Also, pssssh with your expensive proteins. I just eat 3-4 eggs after a "workout".

Edited by stonebeard - August 14 2014 at 22:38
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 23:56
I lift myself up and down walls sometimes
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 00:37
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

pssssh with your expensive proteins. I just eat 3-4 eggs after a "workout".

Eggs are good, so is a fat cheeseburger, but protein is  1) easy,  and 2) since it's in liquid form it absorbs and digests much more readily, certainly more than eggs or meat.   Plus, I never used to eat breakfast but now I crave a nice big shake with fruit every morning.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 05:51
Eggs are an excellent source of protein! I use supps as just that; supps. They don't replace real food and protein for me, they're just convenient when you're on the go and/or need that post-workout when you aren't heading straight home.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:05
Any secrets?    From Pilates I learned to deep-fire (squeeze) muscle groups, I do it after lifting and it seems to help tone a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>