FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Weight Lifting/Gym Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:55
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Any secrets?    From Pilates I learned to deep-fire (squeeze) muscle groups, I do it after lifting and it seems to help tone a lot.

Yoga and pilates are a whole new way to work your body...and they're completely necessary if you truly want a well-rounded regimen IMHO. I've started doing hip abductors at the gym as well, which are typically stigmatized as a "woman's exercise" around these parts, lol. It's all about balance, and yoga and pilates will give you that in ways you can't achieve via traditional lifting.

I love isometrics, as well. When you curl biceps, go for full extension at the bottom, then at the top of your curl flex as hard as you can and slowly let the weight back down. That one mod alone will tear fibers like crazy!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 19:23
Yeah I love isomets, I'll often do full flex/extensions with no weights, just me firing the muscle.   Good stuff, and you don't risk injury.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 09:03
Definitely. Iso deadlifts are one of my faves. Slow upward pull with light/medium weight, slow descend, repeat. I can feel every muscle in my body getting worked.
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 13:18
The only gym training I do is rock-climbing, and even then, I only do it as training for outdoor climbing on real rocks. I love it.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 20:23
^ Great full body exercise  
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 00:16
Did my extreme push-up routine tonight;  feet elevated 3 feet, push-ups varied between wide and narrow, used these puppies--

AB Marketers LLC Perfect Push Up Personal Exerciser
Perfect Push-Ups--  they save your wrists from injury and rotate so you get full muscle engagement.  You can also do dips and shoulder presses.   Great product, highly recommended.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 05:37
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Did my extreme push-up routine tonight;  feet elevated 3 feet, push-ups varied between wide and narrow, used these puppies--

AB Marketers LLC Perfect Push Up Personal Exerciser
Perfect Push-Ups--  they save your wrists from injury and rotate so you get full muscle engagement.  You can also do dips and shoulder presses.   Great product, highly recommended.

Yup! I own these as well. Feet up on the chair; regs, wides, close each for a set of 45 Thumbs Up.

When we're in the gym, we do a super-set we call "chest-sanity", where you bench the bar for 10 reps, then immediately do chest flys with dumbbells for another 10, then hop up and put your fee up on the bench and do 10 diamond pushups.

Repeat times three sets and you'll be on fire Wink.

Rock climbing is awesome, btw!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:00
Resting today, not doing anything strenuous and got a good nine hours sleep, my favorite part of an exercise regimen  Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:41
Sleep is definitely required...and a massive bonus Wink.

I did a quick set of lat pulldowns/tricep pulldowns on my home equipment yesterday, and I'm wonderfully sore Sleepy.

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 17 2014 at 21:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:44
Love that, such a satisfying feeling, I think I'd miss it terribly.   Something's wrong if a part of me isn't sore.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 21:58
I once went to the gym.  I got discouraged though by all the weird looks I got when smoking outside the gym while taking a break from my workout.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:08
Big smile  I usually wait until I'm at least a block away

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 22:21
^LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 21:22
Working the shoulders tonight:  military presses with dumbbells, interspersed with frontal pulls and deltoid raises.   I like the blend of pushing/pulling and the muscle confusion it provides.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:16
I love mixing pushing and pulling on any given gym sesh. We really switched it up this week to keep our bodies guessing by starting with deadlifts (back/whole body) and a back day on Tuesday, instead of the typical chest Monday. I'm still sore in my lower back and shoulders three days later!

Chest-sanity sesh tomorrow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:26
Ah yes, my chest-blast is coming up this weekend.   Flys are my personal favorite, I've gotten to letting the bells touch the floor each time between reps, good challenge.  I mix that with presses, the bells lengthwise to my body rather than the trad hold with elbows out (definitely makes it a bit harder).

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:32
I train in short bursts, meaning that if I have 20-30 minutes to myself, I'll do some push-ups, chin-ups, revisit my old hand weights (36 pounds each) or do some dips. It works for me, probably because I'm naturally big-boned. I don't need a lot of training to take on muscle, so I keep it to this.  
I've gone all out before with heavy lifting and protein diet galore, but I very quickly get clumsy to look at. My own take on this, is that whenever your muscles start interfering with your flexibility, it's about time to call it quits or conversely start looking at some smaller weights and an increase in repetitions.
Atm I'm 1.90 m (6.2) and weigh 90 kilos (198 pounds). I guess that's pretty proportionate, but I'd like to get down to 85 kilos.  
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:36
^ Yes body type plays a big role, I've noticed how muscle forms differently on people.   I used to be disappointed that I was a "hard gainer", but as I've progressed I'm kinda glad I'm small-boned and skinny by nature. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:43
Chest flys are my favorite, as well. I can really feel those muscle fibers tearing when I go deep and wide.

And that's awesome, Guldbamsen!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:44
Heh...most of my friends are like that too, and I've always been a little jealous of them. I mean some of these guys can live off Mars bars and still go hide behind a lamp post. Damn cheat if you ask me. All I have to do is look at chocolate and my stomach instantly heaves.
Then again, I'm blessed with not having to do much in order to look like a bear, which my friends then are extremely jealous ofWacko 
Winning is impossible. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>