Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Weight Lifting/Gym Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:52
I have a lat-pulldown machine in my basement, and it's the best thing ever. Pullups will hit those, too. Was a very stubborn muscle for me for the longest time.

Deadlifts hit everything, though Wink.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:10
Do you ever do 'old school pull-ups/chin-ups' where you just use your body weight and freely hang from whatever branch you can find?

I've been pretty motivated the last week, so I'm doing pull-ups every day. I'll do one grip one day and then another the next, so I basically have a 3 day run with 3 different exercises (although all of these strengthen my back in various ways). 
I thought about doing all of em on the same day, like I said earlier in this thread, but this way seems to be the most rewarding all around. 
Another great thing about this is the fact that I use a kindergarten's playground as my 'gym'. I've found the perfect jungle-jim for these exercises, where I can experiment with all kinds of grips. Beats any other gym out there imo + I am in control of the soundtrack.
The walk to the kindergarten and back is a good 35 minutes, so there is also actual leg movement involved - making this whole thing healthy as a box of kiwis.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:15
^ Hell yeah, bodyweight exercises are tops, and underrated.   I feel they give you more athletic development instead of the bulky bodybuilder look; I did shoulder press-ups last night on the floor.  

Love your junglegym solution.  

Edited by Atavachron - August 28 2014 at 20:30
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 20:32
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I've heard this and how they're kinda the ultimate developer.    But I'd want a good solid belt before I seriously tried deadlifting--  it looks like a low back killer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2014 at 08:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Do you ever do 'old school pull-ups/chin-ups' where you just use your body weight and freely hang from whatever branch you can find?

I've been pretty motivated the last week, so I'm doing pull-ups every day. I'll do one grip one day and then another the next, so I basically have a 3 day run with 3 different exercises (although all of these strengthen my back in various ways). 
I thought about doing all of em on the same day, like I said earlier in this thread, but this way seems to be the most rewarding all around. 
Another great thing about this is the fact that I use a kindergarten's playground as my 'gym'. I've found the perfect jungle-jim for these exercises, where I can experiment with all kinds of grips. Beats any other gym out there imo + I am in control of the soundtrack.
The walk to the kindergarten and back is a good 35 minutes, so there is also actual leg movement involved - making this whole thing healthy as a box of kiwis.

Yes, yes, and HELL yes Thumbs Up!

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I've heard this and how they're kinda the ultimate developer.    But I'd want a good solid belt before I seriously tried deadlifting--  it looks like a low back killer.

It's the lower-back decimator. It's the only thing that hits mine in a way that feels like I'm actually growing muscle there. I'd definitely suggest a good belt for hitting the higher weights; I don't do too much over my own body weight without one!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 05:51
What's new, chaps?

Had a killer chest session on Sunday at the gym, and I'm thinking about hitting back via my home equipment today. Plenty of "bulking" foods this holiday weekend, lol.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 11:42
"A killer chest session"?  Sounds like a workout with the hookah.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:35
Ah bulking, for me it was a long process but it did pay off.  The drawback is I got a bit fatter than I'd like, so I started cutting back.  Retained the muscle but cut much of the fat now, and I prefer the look.  The eating-every-three-hours thing was too much for me, I'm happier with three solid hi-protein meals a day.  But as long as you can lose the excess fat, bulking can be a good experience, you really learn how the body responds.

Probably gonna do my push-up routine tonight.  At some point I'd like to get my feet up higher, like 4 ft. or so.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 05:53
Anyone ever work their trapezius ?   It's a hard one to develop and the recommended exercise is Shrugs though that only does so much.    I've also heard overdeveloped traps are often a sign of the juice.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 10:47
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Anyone ever work their trapezius ?   It's a hard one to develop and the recommended exercise is Shrugs though that only does so much.    I've also heard overdeveloped traps are often a sign of the juice.

Yes! I will admit, shrugs work really well for me. I don't do them in the standard way with a freeweight in each hand, however. 

I tend to use the cable machine set all the way down, then I grab an extra barbell (60lbs or so), then I max out the cable machine (100lbs). 

Then, I use a weight strap to clip the barbell to the cable itself, and I do shrugs with that. 

I've found that the cable tension really allows for more control and more stress on the traps than trying to balance and prevent your hands getting tired. The longer you hold the shrug, the more you're going to work it. 

Mine always look huge after a set of 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 LOL.
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:05
I actually avoid doing shrugs most of the time.  They make my shoulders pop and crack (doesn't hurt but sounds unhealthy). Same goes for lateral raises.  Have you tried using a trap bar?

You guys seem really positive about your progress so far.  Every time I fall in stride with a good workout routine and start making some gains, my body just starts to fall apart.  I'm too young to be breaking down like this.  Getting my knees checked out later today since I have a issue with my patella tracking toward the outside of my knee and grinding over my femur.  

Edited by bloodnarfer - September 09 2014 at 11:06
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 21:46
^ I'm really sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you find some relief.   I am 48 and though I've been doing martial arts for 20 years, I only started training heavy with weights about two years ago.   I think it was my pent-up enthusiasm to build muscle that got me through, so my attitude was one of 'I don't care if I get sore of if it takes years to see real results'.   I figured why not; I've got the time and drive, I might as well focus and see what I can do.   In that way sometimes age and experience trumps youth and quick recovery.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 01:59
Upping the ante with my chest routine tonight by doing flys on the floor so that my elbows touch floor, arms stay in position and don't bend as I contract the weights back up for the fly.   Adds a lot of extra difficulty without adding weight, (I'm using 40 lb bells so the weight is good); After six reps I go straight into presses alternating between standard shoulder-width & parallel hold, followed by pec firing to hit all the smaller muscle groups.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 03:28
Anyone still posting here ? ... hellloooooo

Anyway, worked the shoulders tonight--  6 sets of 6 military presses with the heavy bells using a switch-grip, followed immediately by 6x6 side vertical pulls, and then laterals to finish

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 06:14
Hellooo

I aaaam caaaalliiiiiing yyoouuuu froooom theee sofaaa faaar faaaaar awaaay

Cool to see you're still keeping at it, although slightly annoying when I haven't been able to do the same. Freaking irritating! Every time I get a good thing going, a new paper/project/assignment/whatev arrives and I tumble back into mr sitting machine, drinking too much coffee and smoking far too many cigarettes, stuffing myself late at night because I forgot to eat anything all day, too lazy to even do my push ups. 

Vicious cycle really, it effects my mood and how I function on an everyday basis. I don't sleep well, when my body isn't physically tired from having been used. My brain simply takes over the show and instead of turning off at night it goes into hyper-psycho mode and transmits philosophically random thoughts on everything from strawberries to the rings of Saturn.

I've been a good boy the last couple of days though - cycling and walking regularly, even doing push ups and various forms of pull ups/chin ups (extremely soar this morning)Big smile This time I'm determined to follow through on my exercises, so I've tried to make a little 'training diary', where I'll sketch down what I did for the day. I'm using my phone, so no excuses about losing the damn paper this time or other more foolish businesses like forgetting to take it with you when you're visiting friends in the forest. 
Come on now!

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 25 2014 at 06:15
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 07:38
hey, man, good to hear from  you, but sorry to see you struggling so.
                 I am doing a stationary bike for 30 min. then weight machines for 20, then the bike again for another 10-15.
        I do this 3 times a week, doesn't sound like a whole heckuva lot, but I feel better.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 07:50
Sounds good Doug and nice to hear from you as wellSmile
I think all that training/exercising really depends upon is dedication from you. No matter what level you're at, as long as you do it regularly, which sadly is the thing I've been struggling the most with. I do sense a change coming on just from these last days. I just have to convince myself of the benefits and keep myself at it. The latter hopefully through that diary thingy of mine. 

Now that I think of it, instead of mimicking a vegetable here on the sofa, then why not take the bike out for a ride? The sun is actually shining for the first time in what seems like weeks. See ya!

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 25 2014 at 07:50

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:38
I just got back in from the gym and decided to check PA, and oddly enough I find that this thread is still alive and doing well :).

TONS of chest today: super sets, flys, benching, dips, overheads, etc.

I'm going for my personal training cert in the coming months, as well. Great to see so many of you keeping up and progressing!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:46
Progressing is for next week. Right now I'm barely hanging onLOL
Went for a 60 minute bike ride in a rather hilly landscape earlier today. Was absolutely done for when I got home to my apartment! Tough, and I'm probably going to feel it tomorrow, but definitely worth while. Left a smile on my face anyway.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 25 2014 at 11:46

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Progressing is for next week. Right now I'm barely hanging onLOL
Went for a 60 minute bike ride in a rather hilly landscape earlier today. Was absolutely done for when I got home to my apartment! Tough, and I'm probably going to feel it tomorrow, but definitely worth while. Left a smile on my face anyway.

An hour on a bike will do it, my friend! LOL

I've been upping the cardio as well, especially before lifting sessions. I've also got a lat pulldown machine and olympic weight bar and weights at my house now, so I can do deadlifts in my living room Big smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>