Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Weight Lifting/Gym Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site and Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:15
I hope your living room is bigger than mine then. It would look ridiculous in hereLOL

I've been keeping at it - at least with my bike. I've been too soar to do any muscle training the past two days, but tonight I'm opting for 300 push ups before dinner. We'll see.

You know what, I'm going for a ride again. I did one earlier today (uphill no less), but who says you can't do two in a day?

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 27 2014 at 11:19
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodnarfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I'm really sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you find some relief.   I am 48 and though I've been doing martial arts for 20 years, I only started training heavy with weights about two years ago.   I think it was my pent-up enthusiasm to build muscle that got me through, so my attitude was one of 'I don't care if I get sore of if it takes years to see real results'.   I figured why not; I've got the time and drive, I might as well focus and see what I can do.   In that way sometimes age and experience trumps youth and quick recovery.

I hope I'm still that active when I'm 48.  A lot of people don't have the drive to get to the point where they start seeing results and then they give up.  So kudos to you and I'm actually kind of jealous!

I think I may just have to slow down.  I've been going to physical therapy for my knee but I still haven't even considered going back to squats.  At the moment I can't do much upper body either because of shoulder tendinitis.  I always manage to hurt myself in some way and its really discouraging.  I guess I should just try for less weight and higher rep ranges.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 01:40
That could be good, and don't underestimate bodyweight exercises including movement forms like boxing or Pilates, you get good muscle tone without any of the weight stress.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 06:18
I've been getting a lot out of my home workouts lately. Lots of deadlifts with the olympic bar, did some lat and side raises the other day with plate weights, and of course using the lat pull-down machine :)
His excited eyes from within the dark interior glazed;

watered in appreciation of his thoughtful preparation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 22:59
Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.

I also have The Perfect Pushup, and I love it. Never done knuckle pushups before, but I do diamond pushups first thing each and every morning. A set of 25, then a second set of 15 to get the blood flowing while the coffee brews Wink.

I love doing elevated pushups. Everything I do pushup-wise is elevated.
His excited eyes from within the dark interior glazed;

watered in appreciation of his thoughtful preparation.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 00:17
Curls tonight with 40 lb bells, mixed w/ switch-grip pull ups.   Pretty good arm workout-- laying off the triceps for awhile, they were getting a bit bulky (Embarrassed) .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic