FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Weight Lifting/Gym Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:15
I hope your living room is bigger than mine then. It would look ridiculous in hereLOL

I've been keeping at it - at least with my bike. I've been too soar to do any muscle training the past two days, but tonight I'm opting for 300 push ups before dinner. We'll see.

You know what, I'm going for a ride again. I did one earlier today (uphill no less), but who says you can't do two in a day?

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 27 2014 at 11:19
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 11:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I'm really sorry you're having a hard time, I hope you find some relief.   I am 48 and though I've been doing martial arts for 20 years, I only started training heavy with weights about two years ago.   I think it was my pent-up enthusiasm to build muscle that got me through, so my attitude was one of 'I don't care if I get sore of if it takes years to see real results'.   I figured why not; I've got the time and drive, I might as well focus and see what I can do.   In that way sometimes age and experience trumps youth and quick recovery.

I hope I'm still that active when I'm 48.  A lot of people don't have the drive to get to the point where they start seeing results and then they give up.  So kudos to you and I'm actually kind of jealous!

I think I may just have to slow down.  I've been going to physical therapy for my knee but I still haven't even considered going back to squats.  At the moment I can't do much upper body either because of shoulder tendinitis.  I always manage to hurt myself in some way and its really discouraging.  I guess I should just try for less weight and higher rep ranges.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 01:40
That could be good, and don't underestimate bodyweight exercises including movement forms like boxing or Pilates, you get good muscle tone without any of the weight stress.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 06:18
I've been getting a lot out of my home workouts lately. Lots of deadlifts with the olympic bar, did some lat and side raises the other day with plate weights, and of course using the lat pull-down machine :)
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2014 at 22:59
Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Doing elevated push-ups with my fists touching ... oh my friggin' god that's hard.   Then the same thing but using the PefectPushups; I lower myself almost all the way to the floor.   Not only is it incredibly hard but the burden is on the forearms which is great since I rarely get a chance to work them.   If you want a brutally difficult challenge, try them, you'll be amazed how hard it is.

I also have The Perfect Pushup, and I love it. Never done knuckle pushups before, but I do diamond pushups first thing each and every morning. A set of 25, then a second set of 15 to get the blood flowing while the coffee brews Wink.

I love doing elevated pushups. Everything I do pushup-wise is elevated.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 00:17
Curls tonight with 40 lb bells, mixed w/ switch-grip pull ups.   Pretty good arm workout-- laying off the triceps for awhile, they were getting a bit bulky (Embarrassed) .

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 08:21
Great to see this thread still going, guys :)

I've been doing serious heavy lifting and bulking since the start of the month, and I'm seeing insane results already.

I want to start taking pics/doing some video at the gym. I'll be going for my personal trainer cert right after the holiday, as well!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 22:29
^ Hope you do well with your cert, I became a certified Pilates teacher a few years ago and it was the hardest thing I ever did.

Elevated push-ups tonight combined with intensive rowing (isometric) .

Edited by Atavachron - December 10 2014 at 02:46
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 23:48
Military presses last night combined with forward vertical raises and shoulder side-lifts, great upper body workout.   Sore today.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 03:16
I'm in an interesting phase; after moving through several bulking periods over the last two years, I began doing more bodyweight exercises, cut out the creatine, and stopped eating as much starch-- kept to mostly complex proteins from meat, dairy, veg, nuts and beans.   I started to get a more athletic cut instead of that puffy, watery quality muscles can get after too much caloric food, supplements and heavy lifting.   Still seeing gains but they're mostly dry and visible now.   Rather pleased with the results.

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 11:32
I plan on lifting a rather large sandwich later... to continue my bulking

Time always wins.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 00:44
^ Just finished off a big pastrami, avocado & swiss myself
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 04:17
Has it really been that long since someone posted in this thread? (I guess most proggers leave the exercises to their ears...)
Been going at it for the last 2+ months after having accumulated a rather substantial tummy-pouch over the winter. Cycling, walking and generally just moving my ass from pćace to place instead of just becoming one with the sofa. I have additionally been doing push ups with my school pack on (inside I load some 37 pounds of weight) - shifting my grip with each set. Also doing combined movements with the weights. Fx doing a regular standing bicep curl and then continuing overhead into a shoulder press. Extremely tough but at least my arms have grown much longer... Add to that: pull ups, chin ups, crunches (Lord how I hate them!!!), back crunches as well as dumb bell pullovers and a shoulder thang I haven't got a name for.
My left leg is still renovering from an irritated nerve, which effectively means no real leg work until...yeah exactly. I do cycle quite a bit though and keep trying something a little more audacious whenever I feel my leg is getting better...and then it usually goes tits up and I have to start from scratch again. Now I am just going to wait until it feels tip top instead of forcing/willing it.

Anyway it all sums up to me being some 14-15 kilos lighter than I was during Christmas - and I am remarkably more muscular now. I did however get a shock here earlier in the week after stepping out of the shower. I thought I'd put on a few kilos because my belly fat was extremely jiggly and pasty. Turns out that just before you lose fat it actually pumps up with water, so what looks like added fat really is quite the opposite. Today I saw myself in the mirror and it truly looked like I'd dropped 8 kilos in two days. Just goes to show that your body can be irritatingly untruthful.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345