Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe English language/vocabulary/verbal phrases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:55
Fixed ... if that's what one would call it.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 01:47
Interdiction, exposé, netiquette, hidebound, rube, bumpkin, corporeal, dour, Thelema.

Also interesting are the collective nouns.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 10 2014 at 02:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 02:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:14
Roulade (both definitions), solmization, turgid (both definitions), and lots of animal-related stuff (special emphasis on the adjectives).

And this is something I already know, but I feel that everybody should know this: i.e. vs. e.g. Every time I see someone use one instead of the other, I feel like someone tossed a baton to trip me while I'm I was running.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 20 2014 at 04:01
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:24
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Roulade (both definitions), solmization, turgid (both definitions), and lots of animal-related stuff (special emphasis on the adjectives).

And this is something I already know, but I feel that everybody should know this: i.e. vs. e.g. Every time I see someone use one instead of the other, I feel like someone tossed a baton to trip me while I'm running.
Sorry about that.  I am one who thought both meant "for example".  Now that I know better I will try to never make the mistake again (seriously!).
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:26
One down, many to go.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 03:56
We should post here things that are becoming parts of the language and the overall human culture (what do you think?). For instance, Google bombing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 03:58
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 04:00
OK, that was a loud one. No means no.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 10:35

I feel that everybody should know this: i.e. vs. e.g. Every time I see someone use one instead of the other, I feel like someone tossed a baton to trip me while I'm I was running.
I always make the mistake, it's very typical for non-English natives. I hope the tips for remembering the difference will be useful from now on Thumbs Up
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 10:38
Could any of the native speakers throw light on the origins of gingerhead? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Could any of the native speakers throw light on the origins of gingerhead? 
Ermm looking that one up in Urban Dictionary is NOT advised.

What context do you mean?

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 21:54
Just curious as to how and when the word was originated.  And what is the association between ginger and the colour of a person's hair.  I actually heard it in the show Citizen Khan and after reading a lot of links on the internet, there seems to be no clarity on the origins of the word.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 02:42

Just curious as to how and when the word was originated.  And what is the association between ginger and the colour of a person's hair.  I actually heard it in the show Citizen Khan and after reading a lot of links on the internet, there seems to be no clarity on the origins of the word.
I have never heard of the compound word "gingerhead" though I have heard people say ginger headed or ginger topped and even ginger nut.

Ginger as a hair colour at first glance does not appear to make any sense because the natural redhead hair colour is orange and much closer in colour to copper, which is nothing like the colour of ginger root and the spice it is made into. Most dictionary sources give the ginger association with the red hair colour to the plant's flower ... 

Except I have a problem with that explanation... ginger plants rarely flower in Great Britain and very few Brits would have seen one in flower. (I have one growing on my windowsill and all I get is stalks and leaves). Also the red colour of the flowering bract is a vibrant red that bears no resemblance to hair colour, and we have many much more common red flowers and not one of them is used describe a hair colour - the closest we get is "strawberry blonde" for blonde hair with a reddish tint. The bright orange of carrots is sometimes used to describe redheads (carrot top), and they are certainly not red.

What is far more common in the UK are ginger cake and ginger biscuits ... and these do have a copper colour to them

So my contention is that the hair colour ginger refers to the colour of these baked products, possibly derived from the popular ginger biscuit called ginger nuts, where "nut" is also a slang term for the head:
Since "nut" (head) has a euphemistic pairing with "nuts" (testicles) then ginger nut is also used as a ribald double entendre since a man with ginger hair would also have ginger pubic hair on his nuts. This is considered to be hilarious in the school playground. 

What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 02:45
Ah, good explanation.  Is ginger bread very old in the UK, by the way?

And you are right, it's actually ginger headed or just ginger, which is how the protagonist of that TV series uses it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 03:21

Ah, good explanation.  Is ginger bread very old in the UK, by the way?
I'm not sure. Ginger has known as a spice in the UK for a very long time, having been brought to England from India along the spice routes of the middle ages. Elisabeth I is said to have favoured gingerbread biscuits but that is probably a myth associated with her natural redhair. 

The prime ingredient of gingerbread is treacle so it can only be as old as the arrival of Jamaican treacle onto our shores which would put it sometime around the mid 17th century. I suspect there was a lesser known version of the cake made with honey before then, possibly derived from a old French or German gingerbread recipe but using bicarbonate of soda (aka Baking Soda) instead of yeast as the rising agent. This would have required the use of something acidic to trigger a reaction with the soda, such as lemon juice, buttermilk or ginger beer until the invention of Baking Powder in the 19th century. Since ginger beer is known as an extremely fizzy drink it is feasible that early UK gingerbreads were made using the same ginger beer plant (a fermented mash of yeast, ginger and sugar) that is used to make ginger beer which is similar to sour dough.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 06:30
Treacle! ... , otherwise known in North America as molasses, is also a word that has more than one meaning to it.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 21 2014 at 06:56
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 07:18

Treacle! ... , otherwise known in North America as molasses, is also a word that has more than one meaning to it.
Ah treacle, what a rich nectar. Approve Without molasses we would not have rum or any of the dark stouts and porter beers of England, the oak brown rye breads, sticky-toffee pudding, treacle tart, pecan pie nor bitter black treacle toffee that is guaranteed to loosen the fillings from your teeth. 

Treacle and spice are just made for each other and no spice is better for that than the heat of ginger. This simpatico coupling of treacle and ginger also gives us the pleasure of rum and ginger, oft known by the cocktail name of Dark'n'Stormy, it delivers the kick of a Moscow Mule with the lingering warmth that only a smooth dark syrupy rum can produce.

Gingerbread is manna from heaven, the mix of treacle and ginger is a pairing that demands to be eaten, I frequently make this, sometimes by hand and sometimes in the bread-machine, and while it is a cake that improves with age, growing ever more sticky and treacle-like as it matures, it seldom lasts long enough in our house to reach that wondrous stage. Add to that pieces of stem ginger, crystallised ginger or caramelised pecans and the game is raised a notch higher, or use rolled oats to produce the Yorkshire treat of Parkin that makes the ubiquitous flap-jack pale by comparison.

Yum.

What?
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 07:21

Aw right Treacle!
Help me I'm falling!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member