52 [57.78%]
38 [42.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 03:11
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm a lucky man here, Hackett's solo career has always been over the top amazing with or without its irrelevant good singing. If for others it's relevant, I'm lucky again to like and enjoy several songs of him, he sings well Serpentine Song, Last Train To Istanbul, Waters Of The Wild, Icarus Ascending, India Rubber Man, Looking For Fantasy, among many others. Genesis gave no space - or far, very far from what he deserved - for such a greatly talented eclectic composer like Steve Hackett, Fortunately he didn't waste much time there (only a few years.)

And what a great news he continues composing!

Hi Rick . I only used the word 'irrelevant' because the thread only asks for a comparison of their talents on guitar and not who is the best singer.
I don't mind Hackett's voice at all. He has a low register and it doesn't get in the way. He gets across emotion okay. ie Rebecca is a song I absolutely love and Hackett does a fine job.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2015 at 17:48
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richardh, yeah Rebecca takes a beautiful turn from the acoustic (or a mix with?) guitars to a brief but stronger beat with electric instruments and then returning to that lovely acoustic melody (with brief but impressive delicate flutes superbly coulouring it this time), its delicate atmosphere reminds me of some Renaissance's, I have a feeling that this song has folk roots, is it true?

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2015 at 03:00
Quite probably although I can't say I've investigated. Never thought of the Renaissance connection but will think about the next time I listenSmile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345