Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Versions Over Studio.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live Versions Over Studio.
    Posted: August 14 2014 at 19:14
Which songs or albums do prefer live over the studio versions? For example, Gilmour's On An Island is the last album I'd want to have with me on a deserted island but all the material done live on Live In Gdansk is stellar.

Edited by SteveG - August 14 2014 at 19:19
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 20:06
Quite a lot of Pink Floyd sounds better live than in the studio starting with all four tracks on disc 1 of Ummagumma, the version of Echoes and One of These Days from Live In Pompeii, the RoIO versions of Embryo and Atom Heart Mother that we're not supposed to mention here and everything from A Momentary Lapse of Reason that made it onto Delicate Sound of Thunder.

I prefer Tarkus from Welcome Back My Friends to the studio version.

Moonloop from Coma Divine to the studio version (but not The Sky Moves Sideways).
What?
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 20:44
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (1972.01.20 The Dome, Brighton, UK)
Pink Floyd - One of These Days (Pompeii 1972; PULSE 1994, and 1972.01.20 The Dome, Brighton, UK)
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (PULSE 1994)
Pink Floyd - Coming Back to Life (PULSE 1994)
Pink Floyd - High Hopes (PULSE 1994)
Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in The Sky (PULSE 1994)
Pink Floyd - A Great Day For Freedom (PULSE 1995)
Pink Floyd - Take it Back (PULSE 1994)
Eloy - The Sun-Song (Live - 1978)
Eloy - The Dance in Doubt and Fear (Live - 1978)
Yes - Opening Excerpts From Firebird Suite (Yessongs - 2009 Japan Remaster)
Yes - And You And I (House Of Yes - Live From House Of Blues 2000)
Rush - Xanadu (Exit... Stage Left)
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (Live Evil)
Genesis - Afterglow (Seconds Out)
Genesis - Los Endos (Seconds Out)
Supertramp - Fools Overture (Live in Paris 1980)

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:06
I prefer the various boots of Triumvirat doing the Illusions On A Double Dimple album live, than the studio album. Even tho the sound quality is not that great, that album sounds great in a live context. And live, Triumvirat elaborate further on some sections of the two IOADD suites, which is an added bonus.

Edited by presdoug - August 17 2014 at 16:59
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:06
I pretty much prefer the studio version of most songs but there are those that are just better live
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:32
Oh, there are a lot for me. Often I like them better because they are played with more energy, or because they are expanded, or because they are updated. There's lot's of Pink Floyd I like better live, like Comfortably Numb and On the Turning Away on Delicate Sound of Thunder, or High Hopes on Pulse, and in general early Pink Floyd seems to have been much better live (pre Meddle)... the studio versions seem like just teasers of what the real song would be (the live ones). Also Gilmour solo sounds very nice live. I've heard some of his songs from the 80's live and they sound much better (specially Murder)... I wish they would be officially released. And On an Island, as stated before, is much better on it's live version (plus, it's almost a Pink Floyd album on that one, with Richard Wright on board, plus the guys from the backing band being many of them regulars from Pink Floyd tours - including Dick Parry).

Genesis also sounds better live, like Musical Box, Dancing with the Moonlit Knigt, and Cinema Show... much more energy, and Gabriel sounds less annoying, and Collins is just on fire... even many of the pop era songs sound better live... on studio they often sound too plastic, while live it sounds like they are actually played by a band. Jethro Tull is another example that I like live a lot in most cases... even the late 90's and early 00's sounds really cool and updated (actually, I think almost every song from Aqualung I like better in some live version). King Crimson, of course, also has lot's of songs that are really wonderful live, like Schizoid Man played by the Wetton era line-up (with guitar playing the main riff instead of the sax), and Starless too I like much better live, with the main theme played with the violin. And just about everything from the 80's (plus the song Red) sounds much better played live by the double trio in the 90's. Yes is another band that I like better live in many cases, in great part thanks to Wakeman that updates his keyboards on many songs, like Awaken, Starship Trooper, Time and a Word on Keys to Ascension, or Owner of a Lonely Heart from the Union tour. Or the Symphonic live songs, with Close to the Edge and Gates of Delirium being really wonderful. Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree also seem to do very nicely live, Coma Divine being a wonderful album.

There must be many more from this artists, and other's as well, that I'm forgetting, though. I guess that an example of a band that I haven't really enjoyed live so much is ELP. And Dream Theater is nice enough, but they don't do much on the live versions that I would prefer them over the originals.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2014 at 21:53
Early Black Sabbath, there's some good live renditions, specifically on Past Lives. Ozzy's vocals on "N.I.B."  flows better, "Behind The Wall Of Sleep" has more oomph and "Iron Man" sounds less cartoonish and more rage filled.

For The Who, "A Quick One While He's Away" didn't sound too good in its initial studio session, but sounded good by late 1968.

Pink Floyd, "Embryo".  Come on Floyd, please give us some official releases of your live performances of the song. 

For a non prog example, "For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her" by Simon & Garfunkel. The studio version from Parsley, Sage Rosemary And Thyme was pretty good, but the live version from Live 1969 just annihilates it. 

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - August 14 2014 at 21:54
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 00:30
Hendrix of course. Performing live and in the studio are two different Hendrixs, you can't really compare his live playing to his studio playing. As I see it, in the studio he would focus on constructing and building the different layers of the song and tried to play the song in certain limits. But when performing live he would just play the song!! according to his mood (or drugs) no boundaries at all, just flying. Without putting down his studio versions (they are all really good) Of course there are a few tracks which were on par with his live stuff and that you can find on his Blues album and one or two in every album.
Live Hendrix is where it's at.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 01:24
ELP - Tarkus, Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression
Eloy - Ocean (pretty much the whole album is performed on Eloy Live)
Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace , Gates Of Delirium
Genesis - Dance On A Volcano/Los Endos ,One For The Vine, Domino,Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea
Glass Hammer - Lex Live (Matt Mendians!)
Emerson , Lake and Powell 
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells , Platinum
IQ - Dark Matter (as on the bonus DVD to Frequency)

Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 01:31
Led Zeppelin are probably the biggest example of this for me. Most of their albums are just 'good' to me, there are some great tunes but the whole affair just doesn't draw me that much. But live, especially How The West Was Won, now that's a killer band.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 02:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Which songs or albums do prefer live over the studio versions? For example, Gilmour's On An Island is the last album I'd want to have with me on a deserted island but all the material done live on Live In Gdansk is stellar.

Oh SteveG ,
      I agree wholeheartedly with you here.   I made this Live In Gdansk recording a priority whilst holidaying in The Bahamas, and it was a most special memory for me. The sand flies kind of peaved me off early, though that was rectified and I continued....... Gdansk leaves his studio versions for dead.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 02:49
The Musical Box by Genesis (from Live, 1973)

The Return of The Giant Hogweed by Genesis (from Live, 1973)

Watcher of The Skies by Genesis (from Live, 1973)

Exiles by King Crimson (from USA, 1975)

Isle Of Everywhere by Gong (from Live, Etc. 1977)

Oily Way by Gong (from Live, Etc. 1977)

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)

Minstrel In The Gallery by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)

Heart of Sunrise by Yes (from Yessongs,1973)

Roundabout by Yes (from Yessongs, 1973)

Long Distance Runaround/The Fish by Yes (fromYessongs, 1973)

And You And I by Yes (from Yessongs, 1973)

The Torture Never Stops by Frank Zappa (from Zappa In New York, 1978)

Black Market by Weather Report (from 8:30, 1979)

The Endless Night by Return To Forever (from Live, 1977)

Bodhisattva by Steely Dan (from Alive in America, 1995)

Ulazak u harem by Smak (from OdLIVEno, 1992)

Pečurka by Igra Staklenih Perli (from Soft Explosion Live, 1991)

Edited by Svetonio - August 15 2014 at 06:36
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 06:59
"The Gates of Delirium" has always sounded best live, IMHO.

Most Pink Floyd sounds better live, too.
threaz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 07:08
A Saucerful of Secrets from Pompei definitely :)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 07:09
Some of Pink Floyd's songs.  There is a version of Time I have come across on the net with a wonderful variation on the guitar solo.  

Lots of Gentle Giant and Renaissance.  I especially love the Knots medley which is also included in the Giant on the Box DVD.  I think this is more due to the studio recordings themselves not being that great.  As opposed to that, Genesis esp Lamb onwards recorded their albums well and to me they didn't always translate so well in the live recording (actually watching them live in concert must have been a great experience).

Dream Theater's Fortune in Lies on the Live at the Marquee recording was unbelievable.  The sheer energy of that performance is almost stupefying and for once even LaBrie is very effective.

Edited by rogerthat - August 15 2014 at 07:10
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 07:27
Careful With That Axe, Eugene from Live at Pompeii; that version's rivaled by the one from the Rainbow Theatre in '73. it is on Youtube in video form. the version of Learning to Fly from Delicate Sound of Thunder is also awesome!
Progrockdude
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 12:27
In the Woods... Liveattheclaedonianhall, all of the material is better than the studio versions, particularly the whole Omnio album.

Opeth- all of the Blackwater Park album from the Royal Albert Hall performance, even Bleak which they usually play too fast live. When, The Night and the Silent Water, Under the Weeping Moon, Demon of the Fall and Face of Melinda are all brilliant from the Roundhouse Tapes.

Pain of Salvation's Handful of Nothing is spectacular on the Second Death of... live album.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 14:41
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hendrix of course. Performing live and in the studio are two different Hendrixs, you can't really compare his live playing to his studio playing. As I see it, in the studio he would focus on constructing and building the different layers of the song and tried to play the song in certain limits. But when performing live he would just play the song!! according to his mood (or drugs) no boundaries at all, just flying. Without putting down his studio versions (they are all really good) Of course there are a few tracks which were on par with his live stuff and that you can find on his Blues album and one or two in every album.Live Hendrix is where it's at.
Absolutely! I don't remember the last time I listened to any of the studio albums.

Edited by SteveG - August 18 2014 at 11:35
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 14:59
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Eloy - The Sun-Song (Live - 1978)
Eloy - The Dance in Doubt and Fear (Live - 1978)
Rush - Xanadu (Exit... Stage Left)

I prefer all the songs on Eloy's Live to their studio counterparts. Fantastic live album.

I've always liked the version of "A Passage to Bangkok" on E...SL better than the original.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2014 at 15:30
Most live versions of Grobschnitt's Solar Music are better than the studio version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>