Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Versions Over Studio.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

What do people think of the 1969-1975 Archive version of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway? I was listening to The Lamia yesterday and thought it sounded great. I am aware that Gabriel re-recorded his vocals for its release but they sound good to me.

I had only heard one Genesis boot, and it was for the ear around SEBTP ... and what I heard was not exciting at all, and the album was considerably better and more theatrical. I'm guessing that it was the early stages of SEBTP and it sounded very poor to my ear and uninspired.

Never have I heard or seen a TLLDOB boot.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 09:14
May just be down to how we individually decode a word like overdubbing. To some it holds a lot of negative connotations - almost to the extent that the word itself loses it's original meaning. Just like a word like Neo or Proto, when applied to prog, inevitably does over time.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

May just be down to how we individually decode a word like overdubbing. To some it holds a lot of negative connotations - almost to the extent that the word itself loses it's original meaning. Just like a word like Neo or Proto, when applied to prog, inevitably does over time.
Many live albums have overdubs, to correct recording defects, that people don't know about. What you don't know sometimes can't hurt you.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:20
I get what you're saying Steve, but that wasn't what I was hinting atWink

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 19 2014 at 10:21
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:25
^Oh, ah.. never mind. Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 10:43
Tongue

- Douglas Adams
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 11:07
I prefer studio albums, but Exit... Stage Left is my favorite live album.  Everything on it is just excellent.
notesworth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 13:27
For a semi-prog example, Muse. The versions of "New Born", "Micro Cuts", "Supermassive Black Hole", and "Invincible" from the llve album HAARP are way better than the studio versions. ESPECIALLY "New Born". The studio version sounds weak and the live version rocks hard! 

King Crimson's "Sleepless" is way better on Absent Lovers than in the studio. A lot of people say EVERYTHING on Absent Lovers is better than the studio versions. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Absent Lovers yet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 21:35

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

What do people think of the 1969-1975 Archive version of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway? I was listening to The Lamia yesterday and thought it sounded great. I am aware that Gabriel re-recorded his vocals for its release but they sound good to me.

I'm afraid I haven't heard that one... but the version I have of "Genesis Live" (from the live box-set) has some songs from the Lamb shows added. I must admit I aren't the biggest fan of that album, but the versions I got on that album are much better than the studio ones for me. I don't know if those versions have the re-recorded vocals or not, but I actually liked them better live than on studio. Once again, I'm not particularly fond of Gabriel's vocals (that's an important reason why I don't like The Lamb so much)... but somehow I found his singing more enjoyable live than on studio.

I avoided the live box set because it looked very pricey although I would like the remaster of Seconds Out.

Well, I happened to not have any live album from Genesis when I found out about this one, and I already wanted to start getting live albums from them. And since I believe I would have paid more, or at least the same, for getting the albums on their own, plus the box-set including material I wouldn't be able to get (at least not easily) buying them separatley, well, it was a no brainer. Simply the Live at the Rainbow disc was enough to make it worth it (plus the few songs from The Lamb).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 21:42
Originally posted by Roj Roj wrote:

The standout selection here is Gates of Delirium by Yes. The Yesshows version is a million times better than the studio version. I never play the Relayer version, it's so limp in comparison.Virtually the entirety of Eloy's Ocean is on Eloy Live and it's all much better on the live album.All the tracks on the Ummagumma live disc are infinitely better than the studio versions of these tracks.That'll do for startersWink.

Actually, I like the version from Symphonic Yes even more than the Yesshows version. The orchestral arrangements really improve the song wonderfully.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2014 at 22:18
If you own Deep Purples' "Made in Japan" you will not be able to listen to the studio versions of the songs ever again. The live versions simply explode.

Also agree with others regarding Hendrix live. The vinyl "In the West" has always been a prized possession.

Also Tull's "Nothing Is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight" presents a ballsy young band at their rowdiest. Sorry, it is simply a more exhilirating live show than on "Bursting Out".

Edited by The Dark Elf - August 19 2014 at 22:20
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 00:56

I'm afraid I haven't heard that one... but the version I have of "Genesis Live" (from the live box-set) has some songs from the Lamb shows added. I must admit I aren't the biggest fan of that album, but the versions I got on that album are much better than the studio ones for me. I don't know if those versions have the re-recorded vocals or not, but I actually liked them better live than on studio. Once again, I'm not particularly fond of Gabriel's vocals (that's an important reason why I don't like The Lamb so much)... but somehow I found his singing more enjoyable live than on studio.

I avoided the live box set because it looked very pricey although I would like the remaster of Seconds Out.

Well, I happened to not have any live album from Genesis when I found out about this one, and I already wanted to start getting live albums from them. And since I believe I would have paid more, or at least the same, for getting the albums on their own, plus the box-set including material I wouldn't be able to get (at least not easily) buying them separatley, well, it was a no brainer. Simply the Live at the Rainbow disc was enough to make it worth it (plus the few songs from The Lamb).

Makes sense. I have a Jap replica card cover version of Seconds Out which is quite nice but I would like to get the remaster if it was available seperately.

I was never that impressed by the Genesis Live album and rarely play it. Three Sides Live was always a bit confusing in its UK version as all of it was live. However the only essential things on it for me are One For The Vine and Fountain Of Salmacis.

The Way We Walk Live - The Longs is excellent with vastly superior versions of Domino and Home By The Sea but I am happy with the CD I have and its not a priority for me to have a remaster. Live Over Europe is excellent but I am happy to have the DVD as far as that goes. On that basis it would the box set just a bit too pricey for me.

Edited by richardh - August 20 2014 at 01:03
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 06:29
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)

Minstrel In The Gallery by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)..................

The The Dark Elf wrote:

............Also Tull's "Nothing Is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight" presents a ballsy young band at their rowdiest. Sorry, it is simply a more exhilirating live show than on "Bursting Out"............

When I first heard "Bursting Out" back in 1978 I had my doubts about the authenticity of it being actually100% live. To this very day I think it is more an album that was recorded live but then overdubbed and over produced to give it more a studio-perfect sound. It to me just does not have an authentic live feel to it. Just my opinion.

I am with you re the Isle of White recording....now that is a live album of great value.

Edited by BarryGlibb - August 20 2014 at 06:31
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 21:15

Makes sense. I have a Jap replica card cover version of Seconds Out which is quite nice but I would like to get the remaster if it was available seperately.
I was never that impressed by the Genesis Live album and rarely play it. Three Sides Live was always a bit confusing in its UK version as all of it was live. However the only essential things on it for me are One For The Vine and Fountain Of Salmacis.
The Way We Walk Live - The Longs is excellent with vastly superior versions of Domino and Home By The Sea but I am happy with the CD I have and its not a priority for me to have a remaster. Live Over Europe is excellent but I am happy to have the DVD as far as that goes. On that basis it would the box set just a bit too pricey for me.

Well, Genesis Live has got "The Knife" and "Musical Box", which I like better than the originals, but it misses "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and "Cinema Show", which are included on Live at the Rainbow, and which I also like much better than the originals. Plus, Live at the Rainbow also has "Supper's Ready"... even though that one is a bit more frustrating for me, because I like parts of it better than the original, but other parts they just don't do it well enough. Plus, I like the version of "Watcher of the Skies" better on the Rainbow album (though that one is not available on the CD, only on the audio DVD). All in all, I think they should have released a double album of the Rainbow show back in the time instead of the incomplete Genesis Live thing.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 23:40
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)

Minstrel In The Gallery by Jethro Tull (from Bursting Out, 1978)..................

The The Dark Elf wrote:

............Also Tull's "Nothing Is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight" presents a ballsy young band at their rowdiest. Sorry, it is simply a more exhilirating live show than on "Bursting Out"............

When I first heard "Bursting Out" back in 1978 I had my doubts about the authenticity of it being actually100% live. To this very day I think it is more an album that was recorded live but then overdubbed and over produced to give it more a studio-perfect sound. It to me just does not have an authentic live feel to it. Just my opinion.

I am with you re the Isle of White recording....now that is a live album of great value.

They probably have only taped that "extra" sound of the crowd, what was otherwise a common practice in the second half of the seventies in terms of live albums At Bursting Out the album, there is already a mature progressive rock band that played with a great skill; moreover, for Bursting Out ​​they used the best performances from various concerts at the Heavy Horses European tour so they had no need for overdubs.
Also, Bursting Out masterfully presented that great atmosphere at their concerts in the second half of the seventies ( I saw them live for the first time in 1975, in Belgrade, Yugoslavia). 
Last but not least, JT catalogue was far richer at the time of Bursting Out ​​recording than it was the case at Isle of White.

So I am not of the opinion that the band has stagnated at stage in 1978. Actually, they couldn't stagnated at stage in 1978 after the serie of the studio masterpieces and numerous memorable live perfomances that JT did do in the seventies since the Isle of White festival. On contrary, they could have been only better at stage in 1978.

Edited by Svetonio - August 21 2014 at 03:30
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 01:14

Well, Genesis Live has got "The Knife" and "Musical Box", which I like better than the originals, but it misses "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" and "Cinema Show", which are included on Live at the Rainbow, and which I also like much better than the originals. Plus, Live at the Rainbow also has "Supper's Ready"... even though that one is a bit more frustrating for me, because I like parts of it better than the original, but other parts they just don't do it well enough. Plus, I like the version of "Watcher of the Skies" better on the Rainbow album (though that one is not available on the CD, only on the audio DVD). All in all, I think they should have released a double album of the Rainbow show back in the time instead of the incomplete Genesis Live thing.

Yep a lot of people have said that. Genesis were not big enough at the time to warrant a double live album (although Yes and ELP were apparently big enough for a 'triple' each Confused)
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 17:50

Yep a lot of people have said that. Genesis were not big enough at the time to warrant a double live album (although Yes and ELP were apparently big enough for a 'triple' each Confused)

Well, when it comes to the BIG ELP - if you follow them there's a speciallity: welcome back my friend to the BIG LIVE SHOW that ever ends ! You've gotta see the SHOW, It's a dynamo!!Wink

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:37
Pretty much everything on Space Ritual is better than the studio versions.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:39
Only one example I can think of, honestly: Kraftwerk - "Rückzück".

I'm really not a fan of live performances.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 18:49
magma
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>